home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you buy the dining plan?
Always 6 3.85%
Occasionally 41 26.28%
Never 105 67.31%
One day soon 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

I purchased the DP on our last trip because we were paying for a lot of our family to eat at Ohana, so we thought it would be worth it. Then I booked the Candlelight Processional package at Garden Grill thinking it was only 1 dining credit and it was actually 2. We definitely lost on that. I was told we could change our leftover kids TS to QS meals but none of the kiosks could actually do it. I guess it needed to be done at concierge at the resort. Either way, I decided we were done with the DP. We don't need to eat at TS restaurants every single night. Two or three TS per trip is plenty for us, so the DP just doesn't work out in our favor.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
Djohn06
Grand Villa

Kids are getting older, so it is harder to justify the plan. But, I've found when I have multiple rooms, its great getting it for just 1 room. That way, we can use every meal and we do not have to plan every meal every day.

Djohn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #13
Mox147
One Bedroom

We always get the dining plan it just makes sense for our family right now. Our kids are both under 9 and we do a lot of character meals. Also I'm in the group of, I like that it is taken care of ahead of time. I look at all of the things I "waste" money o at Disney such as balloon or toys that will get broken quickly. We do use the plan to its full extent. Would I eat dessert everyday at home? No way but I am on vacation and I just go for it!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #14
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Need an option for, "Just Once."

I s'pose we might even try it "occasionally" under the right circumstances. We tried it during a split stay when we had multiple 2BR units booked for "everyone in the party" but found a cheap flight arriving red-eye (early morning) a full day before our plans. So ... we booked a studio unit with Dining Plan and enjoyed the day's portion for nearly two full days before/after the studio night.

For that, the dining plan was good. My hubby loved having the refill mug for grabbing coffee at the lobby. Yep, worked well.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #15
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Never purchased, will jot purchase anytime soon. Kids are fussy eater, they do not like eating complete food all the time.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #16
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

We use the Dining Plan when we travel with large parties and we are treating. Its a matter of convenience for us. No need to track meal expenses. When we travel in smaller groups, we do not.

DH and I enjoy eating breakfast in the room, on the patio. We pick up something light in the park mid-day. Then we incorporate signature dining into the evening. Could be a selection of appetisers and drinks, or a full meal, depending on how hungry we are. DDP doesn't fit this.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #17
nicsmom
Grand Villa

DDP has value if your kids are still young enough to qualify as a child for the plan....and you plan to do buffets or Character.

Once my son became a Disney adult, it was less of a value and we were done with Character meals pretty much!

I will still sometimes purchase the DDP for the first part of a split stay, if it is only 1-2 days. We can get our mugs and have a couple big/expensive meals...and spread the credits out a bit.

Overall, for us, there is no real savings anymore!
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #18
OldGrizzly57
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
most of us are fat
HEEEYYYY.... I resemble that remark!!!!
OldGrizzly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #19
beemertec
Two Bedroom

We don't need everything on the plan. Plus my 12 yo still eats like a kid. He and the 8 yo can share kids portions at WDW. I get filled up on a kids meal there.

beemertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #20
reblzmom
Grand Villa

We sometimes skip meals in favor of snacks, and lately we like to share dinners. So the dining plan doesn't work for us. We took our 2 sons and daughter in law for a week one Thanksgiving and we were amazed at how little we spent on food. Even with drinks for all of us we came in way under our estimate for food. We all prefer breakfast in the room and do not prefer TS meals every day.