home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #111
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
It amazes me that people name kids with the same letters. My wife has a sister & 2 brothers, All start with the letter 'D' (so when I write DW, that always makes me think of my brother in law - that's what everyone calls him). Also, the middle initials are in alphabetical order. To me, that's just confusing.
I'd never thought about it, but our middle names are in alphabetical order. A,E, & L. But I don't think that my mom did that on purpose. It was actually pretty funny to us when we were growing up.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #112
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I'd never thought about it, but our middle names are in alphabetical order. A,E, & L. But I don't think that my mom did that on purpose. It was actually pretty funny to us when we were growing up.
When I say alphabetical order, I meant the initials of their middle names are (in order of birth) A, B, C, D, E. Seems kind of limiting for name choices. The first two were twins. We assume they are in correct birth order.

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #113
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
If it makes you feel better I pronounced the city in Montana wrong for quite a few years growing up.
We have a city in Alabama with that same name. Here, it's pronounced "HELL EE NA"

Old 08-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #114
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
We have a city in Alabama with that same name. Here, it's pronounced "HELL EE NA"
You also do Montgomery and Birmingham differently than I would have expected. Mobile too
Old 08-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #115
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
You also do Montgomery and Birmingham differently than I would have expected. Mobile too
I'm not sure how else to pronounce Montgomery, unless you don't say that first 'O' like a 'U'. We don't pronounce Birmingham the way the English do, and of course we always emphasize HAM whenever we can. And of course Mobile isn't anything like a mobile phone!

This reminds me of a joke. It's meant to be spoken aloud, but I think I can pull it off here:

A retired couple were traveling from Florida to visit their children who still lived in the Northeast, and decided to stop in a little town near Auburn called Opelika. After ordering lunch at a fast food place, they asked the cashier (an Auburn Student) "We're not from this area, could you please pronounce the name of this place and say it slowly so we can catch it?"

The student said "D A I R Y Q U E E N"

(lots of Auburn or Alabama jokes down here...)

Old 08-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #116
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I'm not sure how else to pronounce Montgomery, unless you don't say that first 'O' like a 'U'. We don't pronounce Birmingham the way the English do, and of course we always emphasize HAM whenever we can. And of course Mobile isn't anything like a mobile phone!

This reminds me of a joke. It's meant to be spoken aloud, but I think I can pull it off here:

A retired couple were travelingfrom Florida to visit their children who still lived in the Northeast, and decided to stop in a little town near Auburn called Opelika. After ordering lunch at a fast food place, they asked the cashier (an Auburn Student) "We're not from this area, could you please pronounce the name of this place and say it slowly so we can catch it?"

One of my good friends is from Montgomery. For him it's more of a 3 syllable name. For me it's 4. So Mont-gum-ry for him and Mont-gum-er-ry more like it for me. It was a lesson of learning how to speak like someone from Alabama. He snickered the first time I said my husband had to go to Birmingham for work LOL. I had at least heard about Mobile before I talked to him so he didn't laugh at that
Old 08-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #117
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

Quote:

A retired couple were traveling from Florida to visit their children who still lived in the Northeast, and decided to stop in a little town near Auburn called Opelika. After ordering lunch at a fast food place, they asked the cashier (an Auburn Student) "We're not from this area, could you please pronounce the name of this place and say it slowly so we can catch it?"

Ha, all of my family is originally from Andalusia....I can appreciate the rivalry. Half my family is Roll Tide, and the other half War Eagle. I am the outsider since I was born and raised in So LA and went to LSU.

Am loving the name pronunciation talk. I always giggle when I hear people here in TN pronounce Lafayette...they say La-FAY-it......um no!

Thanks for the chuckles
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #118
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Ha, all of my family is originally from Andalusia....I can appreciate the rivalry. Half my family is Roll Tide, and the other half War Eagle. I am the outsider since I was born and raised in So LA and went to LSU.

Am loving the name pronunciation talk. I always giggle when I hear people here in TN pronounce Lafayette...they say La-FAY-it......um no!

Thanks for the chuckles
So, in South Arkansas, that would be La-fee-et. Probably equally wrong, but hopefully a little closer. On the other hand, those folks up in Kansas have been mispronouncing Arkansas for ages. Ar-can-saw, not Ar-Kansas. We figure they just don't know any better, bless their hearts.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #119
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
It amazes me that people name kids with the same letters.
It amazes me that people name kids at all. So much easier to simply number them. Maybe use letters (2a, 2b) for multiple births.

(Complete aside: On our PHX-SJC flight last night, the polite was Captain Kirk...He had a last name, but there was a pause before the FA said it, and no one remembers )

Cheers.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:51 PM   #120
Laura D
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post

Thanks for the chuckles
That's because in East Tennessee, we have a town called LaFollette (la-FOL-et). We always know when the new weather person ain't from 'round here because they pronounce it la-fol-ET.
Laura D is online now   Reply With Quote