home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #31
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by unveilmyeyes View Post
Yeah everyone gets current year points as there is always a current year OP's double points scenario would be buying DEC UY in Oct 2017 and getting Dec 2016 + Dec 2017 points hence twice as many points. Pretty good strategy to making Direct at Poly or CCV more appealing than buying those two resorts resale as effectively drops your buy-in by $14/point (or whatever number you think those points are worth on secondary market).
Yeah for us it was pretty much the same scenario...if we would have bought resale the 2017 points would most likely have been gone...this way DVC banked them and we rented them for $14. pp. My points will renew in Feb and his wont until Dec so its really only a matter of a couple of months difference.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #32
iheartglaciers
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

On one hand I'm thinking of waiting until July to add on to my Oct UY, but I'm afraid they may increase direct prices, which would negate my MF savings :-) So I might just add on the points when my contract closes (should be within the next few weeks).
iheartglaciers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #33
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartglaciers View Post
On one hand I'm thinking of waiting until July to add on to my Oct UY, but I'm afraid they may increase direct prices, which would negate my MF savings :-) So I might just add on the points when my contract closes (should be within the next few weeks).
The prices never go down. They usually announce when the current promotion is good until.......the increases usually occur with the new promotions.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #34
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
The prices never go down. They usually announce when the current promotion is good until.......the increases usually occur with the new promotions.
Prices do not go down, but DVC has had sales in the past, which lowers your "net" cost.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #35
pdude81
Two Bedroom

I'd like to try to dispel the notion of double points as each of these contracts has a fixed number of points and a hard end date. In most cases, you're paying more money per point for less years than the early bird paid for the entire contract.

Since you'd only get current and future points on any direct contract, the variables become cost per point, point availability for that resort/UY, prorated MF's , and incentives for # of points purchased. For the 25-50 point estimate the OP mentioned, you could wait until late next year to buy, but keep in mind that what you are looking for might not still be available then or the base price per point may go up and negate some of your savings. The other negative about waiting is that you can't make reservations with points you don't own yet.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #36
DVCMommy2

We bought August of this year with October UY. We got 2016 and 2017 points. Bought direct at CCV.
DVCMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #37
disney65
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCMommy2 View Post
We bought August of this year with October UY. We got 2016 and 2017 points. Bought direct at CCV.
Congratulations on your purchase. You were in 2016 use yr when you bought in August as October use yr.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #38
DVCMommy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. You were in 2016 use yr when you bought in August as October use yr.
Thanks.
Yes, I’m aware. It’s funny because the guide made it seem like it was a “bonus” - like they weren’t sure if you could get it without approval. Someone on another board had told us that we would get it regardless because we were within our current use year.
DVCMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #39
disney65
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCMommy2 View Post
Thanks.
Yes, Iím aware. Itís funny because the guide made it seem like it was a ďbonusĒ - like they werenít sure if you could get it without approval. Someone on another board had told us that we would get it regardless because we were within our current use year.
You will be surprised to know that most of the dvc owners does not know what the current use yr means. They think with calendar year.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #40
unveilmyeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
For the 25-50 point estimate the OP mentioned, you could wait until late next year to buy, but keep in mind that what you are looking for might not still be available then or the base price per point may go up and negate some of your savings. The other negative about waiting is that you can't make reservations with points you don't own yet.
And even if no trips planned, you could sell those points and even accounting for MF would in theory reduce your buy-in cost esp compared to a higher buy-in cost... I wouldn't deplete my savings account to try to jump ahead of the curve but I agree with pdude81 there are compelling reasons to buy now rather than wait.
unveilmyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote