home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
TexasChick
Two Bedroom

Default Best Way to Pay for Annual Dues

Hey everyone. I know people have a lot of opinions about this, but there have been some recent changes at MS. I saw that the vacation account is being taken away, and the number of gift cards (GC's) you can use to pay for dues is restricted. With all the gift card options, Disney Visa, etc., what is the best way to pay for your annual dues? Also, in some of the wholesale stores, what is the membership annual fee to get that discount? I pay $60/year for Costco, but they don't have the massive discount on gift cards nor do I think they sell Disney GC's.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

You can consolidate Disney Gift Cards balances (max of $1000 per card) at DisneyGiftCard.com.

You can enter DGCs directly on the member website when paying dues (new in the past year). AFAIK, there is no limit on the number you can key in yourself.

I personally prefer the direct debit method.

JaxFLBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
ColinBlair
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Cards can be bought from BJ's Warehouse online without a membership. Each denomination has a different discount, at the moment it is the $100 cards that have the best discount which is slightly better than Sams or Target.
ColinBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

I paid in a lump sum for '15-16. It worked better for me at the time. This year I'm experimenting with the monthly bank draft. It seems to work fine too, though I think I prefer the one and done route. I guess it's whatever you feel is the easiest.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Jesper
One Bedroom

I'll sign up for the monthly bank draft, and at the same time keep an eye out for deals on GC. If I see a good deal I'll just buy GC's to pay down the balance. Using Discover card to buy GC's at BJ's was a good deal last year, and I've gotten several Home Depot offers to get 10% cash back on any purchase over $300 (up to $300 in cash back). I'm hoping to get another HD offer before the MF is due.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

BJ's 5% with no membership is the best ongoing deal. Stack that with a cashback credit card (I use Citi DoubleCash since it has no limits and gives 2% total back). Even better is you can buy ridiculous amounts; my last purchase was for $1400 worth at once.

Grocery story fuel points programs can beat it IF you are setup to maximize the discounts (such as Kroger allows you to buy 35 gallons at a max of $1 off/gallon; earning that discount requires either $250 or $500 of GC purchases. $250 only applies when they do quad-point promos for GC purchases). That is an effective 7% or 14% discount before credit card cashback.

You can of course combine gift cards (up to $1000 I believe) so you are paying with fewer of them.

Nice thing is you can pay ahead on your dues, just note that if you do and sell the contract you applied to the payment to the credit balance transfers with the contract so be sure to recoup it from the buyer.

My DVC homes: BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

wow, I guess I'm a dinosaur. I always paid by check....
realized last year, I could put on the Disney cc and just pay that after. I will start looking around for gift card offers, maybe finally get a Discover card.

Are there any additional fees for paying monthly? or is it the same as if you'd pay in lump sum in Jan?

Last edited by Jedimom3; 08-18-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

Traditional monthly has to be bank draft I believe, which means no discounts.

You can pay monthly if you want using the DVC website "dues" page. Nothing is actually due, but you can pay on a per-contract basis using the usual payment options. Whatever you pay into each contract is folded together at the end of the year and applied to your master dues bill, so there is no need to try and figure out what each individual contract will be owed in dues (but as I said be careful paying dues against a contract you think you might sell). The nice part about doing it this way is that if unexpected bills come up you can skip payments since there is no actual monthly due.

I'm about 50% paid ahead on my dues using this method. I much prefer it to keeping loaded gift cards in the house until the final dues bill arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
wow, I guess I'm a dinosaur. I always paid by check...
realized last year, I could put on the Disney cc and just pay that after. I will start looking around for gift card offers, maybe finally get a Discover card.

Are there any additional fees for paying monthly? or is it the same as if you'd pay in lump sum in Jan?

My DVC homes: BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
bubster
Grand Villa

I do the monthly checking account bank draft for our BLT contracts. The BCV and SSR contracts I pay in full with my Disney Visa and get the 2% rewards. Then use those rewards to pay toward the dues.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
No fees. Your total amount due is divided by 12 and that becomes your base monthly payment.

If they underestimated the ad valorem taxes, the difference added to the first January payment. If overestimated, the overage is deducted from the balance before they calculate the monthly payment.

You also elect when the payment is deducted, either the 1st or 15th of each month. The January payment is always deducted on the 15th (even if you select the 1st).

JaxFLBear is online now   Reply With Quote