home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
NonnyMouse
Two Bedroom

Great photos - keep 'em coming!

NonnyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
cherene
Grand Villa

Very nice pictures!

I'm quite interested in this TR. I have considered a cruise but have never been on one yet. I get motion sickness pretty bad so I'm reluctant to go for it. I can just see being stuck on a ship sicker than heck.
cherene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
NonnyMouse
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherene View Post
Very nice pictures!

I'm quite interested in this TR. I have considered a cruise but have never been on one yet. I get motion sickness pretty bad so I'm reluctant to go for it. I can just see being stuck on a ship sicker than heck.
Yeah - me, too, on the motion sickness. I use the scopolamine patch on cruises and it really works well. I can get sea sick in a swimming pool if there is too much action!

NonnyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #14
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

SOME BACKGROUND ON THE TRIP

About a year ago, I finally convinced DH to try a cruise. He was VERY SKEPTICAL, but he loves Disney and trusts their reputation for service...so he agreed. Plus, his brother in law told him how much he enjoyed it when they went the year before. They are a lot alike so DH started warming up to the idea. I basically had a year to plan. All summer long I bought clothes along the way so we'd have plenty for the trip. You can’t buy shorts and flip flops in NC in January!

I did a lot of research and heard things like this...I did all these things and STRONGLY SUGGEST you do this too! I may think of more…but this is a good start…

TIPS FOR YOUR CRUISE

---bring your own cups for the soda station. Tervis tumblers with lids are great!

---You don’t have to have a passport (as of Jan. 2014) to sail to the Bahamas but it is strongly recommended by DCL

---If you order sodas from room service or the bar, there is a fee. You can order them for free at dinner and use the “all you can drink” soda fountain on deck 11. The lemonade with a splash of fruit juice is a great mixer for vodka or rum (just sayin…)

---you can bring alcohol onboard as long as it fits in your carry on. If you carry on has rollers, you are good to go!

---If you buy the drink of the day in a fancy glass, you will pay extra for the glass. It makes a cool souvenir…but after buying it…just have them refill it so you don’t have to pay for it again. The drink of the day special is about $5.20 and the 18% is ALREADY included on the slip you sign. Just look and you will see it!

---Send your kids to the kids club (if that applies) and have brunch or dinner at Palo ($25 extra per person) or Remy ($75 extra per person). The tip WAS NOT already added here so be sure to add it,

---bring something like a photo matte to drop off at guest services for characters to sign (so you don’t have to tote it with you when you go stand in line to visit with them)

---put plenty of $1 bills in your pocket to trip luggage porters, bus drivers, etc

---bring cash if you plan to shop at the straw market at Nassau

---know that time evaporates on a cruise ship

---pack a day bag with swimsuits because when you first get on the ship, it is not very busy and its a great time to ride ( Also sunscreen and a little pack of meds you might need….Bonine or Dramamine…just in case)

---Call guest services ****in advance of the cruise**** and give them your credit card number or gift card numbers to save time so you don’t have to do that once onboard…do anything you can to maximize your FUN TIME on the ship. Remember, time evaporates on a cruise ship!

---have lunch on the ship on embarkation day (We ate about 11:15 at Cabanas).

---if you follow a GLUTEN FREE diet, let the chef know and they will help you when ordering. They walked DH through the line at Cabana’s and he had a wonderful meal. They also have gluten free waffles and donuts! Flo’s made gluten free pizza for him in under 8 minutes.

---as soon as you can, register your activities online and pick a boarding time as early as possible. We got onboard at 10:30 to get the most out of Day #1 since it was a short cruise.

---make sure your boarding documents are in a convenient place so you can get to them quickly and easily as you get on and off the boat…

---bring some type of hangingorganizers for your makeup / toiletries/etc... And hang them from the bathroom towel rack or from the hangers on the wall in the stateroom. Don't actually hang them from a door becuuse it could scratch the door and you would be charged by Mickey to fix it

---if you go to the spa, take your "get ready stuff" (makeup, hair products) and get ready in their NICE and BIG bathroom! (not in the tiny time one in your state room....they even have blow dryers...and the showers are large enough for a private spot to change in)

---Go to The Rainforest Room in the Senses Spa. It is only $16 and its open approximately 8 am to 10 pm. I bought a day pass and went 3 times on the day we were at sea. More to come on this later....

---Consider parking somewhere other than the Disney parking lot. We parked at "Park Port Canaveral" which was connected to the Radison for half the Disney price. They had a free shuttle. It was very nice and convenient and we saved about $40.

---Get a hotel room somewhere close by the night before the cruise so you don't have any travel delays. DH paid for the trip in full before I had a chance to buy trip insurance so I was nervous about this. Once you pay in full, you can’t add trip insurance

---make some magnets for your door to decorate it so you don’t look like a newbie

---consider joining a "Fish Exchange" group. It was fun and we had a FB group that we all posted on before the trip. It was very fun…We had a meet and greet...more on this later in the report...
[/font]

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

Last edited by DisneyTravelers; 12-09-2014 at 12:05 AM. Reason: add info - typos add info
DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherene View Post
Very nice pictures!

From what I hear, for motion sickness its best to be mid ship and on NOT on the very top or very bottom of the boat. I was really worried about motion sickness. I brought Bonine and took it 1 hour before we sailed. I never needed it. It was very smooth up until the third evening. Even then, I was fine. We have been off the boat over 24 hours and when I sit still I still feel like Im rocking but I don't feel sick if that makes sense. I would get a patch for the doctor if you are very prone to motion sickness. I was totally SHOCKED that it did not bother me...even though I could feel the boat moving a good bit.

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
cherene
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
From what I hear, for motion sickness its best to be mid ship and on NOT on the very top or very bottom of the boat. I was really worried about motion sickness. I brought Bonine and took it 1 hour before we sailed. I never needed it. It was very smooth up until the third evening. Even then, I was fine. We have been off the boat over 24 hours and when I sit still I still feel like Im rocking but I don't feel sick if that makes sense. I would get a patch for the doctor if you are very prone to motion sickness. I was totally SHOCKED that it did not bother me...even though I could feel the boat moving a good bit.

Thank you for the advice.
cherene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #17
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
The first time we ordered the "Drink Of The Day " special, it seems like they charged us for the glass AND the drink. After that, I just kept the same glass and toted it with me for refills so I got the $5.18 price from then on...

Tom and Robin- Thanks for all the pre - trip advice!!!

More to come later today---but for now, I gotta get some rest! Im too tired to think about what to say!
Can you order the drink of the day without the special cup?
Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
Can you order the drink of the day without the special cup?
Yes.....But if you buy the cup when you board the ship, total cost is around $11 (I think) then refills are $5 for the rest of the cruise.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #19
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Which night was the Pirate party? Fireworks? Are these the same night?

Trying to decide which of the 3 nights to schedule a dinner at Remy or Palo. I'm sure the kids will love the kids club and will be happy to eat there without us.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #20
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
Which night was the Pirate party? Fireworks? Are these the same night?

Trying to decide which of the 3 nights to schedule a dinner at Remy or Palo. I'm sure the kids will love the kids club and will be happy to eat there without us.
Pirate night and fireworks are the same night on a 3 night cruise....the second night.

The pirate party and fireworks are late at night, so you eat at Palo/Remy early you can still see both.

Last edited by tomandrobin; 01-24-2014 at 03:00 PM.
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote