home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

Default When a Gondola stops.

So I had a thought. What if the Gondola breaks down? I know they have redundant systems and they are designed to have fail safes. Putting that aside. When it does happen cause it will. What will be the compensation people will require. I can put this in tiers....

Tier 1:
Stuck for 1 hr. They got it running and i exited off naturally. Lost an hr of my day.

Tier 2:
Stuck for 2 or more Hrs. They got it running and i exited off naturally. Lost that time of my day.

Tier 3:
Stuck and they could not move it. Everyone needed to evacuated via external mechanisms. (cherry picker, rescue teams, etc) Lost all that time and the mental and physical hardship you encountered.

For each category what kind of compensation would you be looking for from DIS to satisfy your enjoyment outage.

Here is where I stand.
1: 1 anytime Fastpass or $25 gift card per person.
2: 1 anytime Fastpass per hr you were stuck or $25 gift card per hr stuck.
3: new APs for all.

Interested to hear other MO stance.

NOTE: I have lots of faith in the Gondola building company. They have an outstanding reputation for building these around the world. I expect all outages to be very rare. But things do happen. Let's know now what we should be asking for.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Disney hopes they have people like me on there when it breaks down - never happened, but my wife always says that it's my dream that the monorail breaks down and I have to evac out of there, climb down or whatever...time of my life!

Disney: "Sorry"
Me: "That was cool"
Disney: "Here's a fastpass"
Me: "Okay cool, man that was cool"
Old 03-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
Disney hopes they have people like me on there when it breaks down - never happened, but my wife always says that it's my dream that the monorail breaks down and I have to evac out of there, climb down or whatever...time of my life!

Disney: "Sorry"
Me: "That was cool"
Disney: "Here's a fastpass"
Me: "Okay cool, man that was cool"
I tend to agree with ya. But I am still gonna want those APs.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
capeokw56
Grand Villa

I think that being stuck in a gondola for an hour(s) during the summer months vs. the winter months would be entirely different situations and therefore require different compensations. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be stuck in a tin can without a/c in July or August.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Micah008
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToTheMouse View Post
NOTE: I have lots of faith in the Gondola building company. They have an outstanding reputation for building these around the world. I expect all outages to be very rare. But things do happen. Let's know now what we should be asking for.
I agree.

I think they will at least do the anytime fastpass, like they would for rides in the parks.

Tier 4: They collide somehow.

(though very very unlikely on these, I have experienced personally it on the Peoplemover ... and apparently others have too ...
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...320-story.html )

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV/CCV; Oct '20 DRR;
Old 03-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
pdude81
Grand Villa

I think that they have multiple redundant backup systems to move gondolas along if there is a problem, so absent a problem with the rope itself of some unforseeen physcical calamity (read: meteor strike or other massive flying object hits tower), there isn't even a case for a multi hour rescue.

It would take exactly one major problem in the summer months for the masses to never want to ride these again, so it's imperative that they get it right on the first try.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

I'm not sure if the gondolas have loudspeakers, but if so Disney could entertain people who are stuck up there by playing the "It's a Small World" theme on a loop. Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I think that they have multiple redundant backup systems to move gondolas along if there is a problem,
The main drive motor went down? Okay you guys start turning those cranks...
Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Tier 5: The gondola disconnects from the cable and plummets to the ground.

I wonder if there will be a communication device in the cars in the event of emergency.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Old 03-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

Well considering that this MO is most likely never going to set foot on a Gondola for any reason, compensation is a moot point. I don't even get on ferris wheels due to my fear of heights.