home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #51
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Thank you for taking the time and sharing it all with us. Great report and pictures.

Hope your husband did not encounter much snow......we did get a nice coating here.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #52
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

DH made it home safely and on time to watch the 2nd NFL game yesterday.

We go to HHI this weekend. With SIL and BIL. Had to use points from cancelled resie before they expired in June. This weekend is MLK so perfect 3 day to book. Just a tad too soon after 9 day cruise. I will just get laundry done and have to repack. And just get dog back today and have to take him back on Friday. Then, next trip is March 2 at WDW.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): May 28- June 4 SSR/RR
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Oct 31 Carnival Sunshine & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #53
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
DH made it home safely and on time to watch the 2nd NFL game yesterday.

We go to HHI this weekend. With SIL and BIL. Had to use points from cancelled resie before they expired in June. This weekend is MLK so perfect 3 day to book. Just a tad too soon after 9 day cruise. I will just get laundry done and have to repack. And just get dog back today and have to take him back on Friday. Then, next trip is March 2 at WDW.
I know what you mean about having two get aways back to back. Last October we cruised to Bermuda and had a 7 night Disney vacation. If I/we have a choice, won't be doing that again (unless one is a weekend closer to home or something).

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #54
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
I know what you mean about having two get aways back to back. Last October we cruised to Bermuda and had a 7 night Disney vacation. If I/we have a choice, won't be doing that again (unless one is a weekend closer to home or something).
Yeah, we've done too much of this recently. We had an 8 night cruise in Oct with a night at WDW (CCV) before the cruise and a night at HHI after the cruise. Was too much. Then this cruise (in my report above)...we went up to MD for Xmas, drove home for a week and back to MD for 2 nights before the cruise...then this HHI trip coming up. We have a week at WDW in March too (March 2). Then another week in Oct. And another in Dec. For 2020 we decided to not overbook. We will likely do Oct F&W and that's it for WDW...then maybe a cruise. But we can't agree on a cruise so maybe not. But my DH is ADD like and restless so these crazed trips appeal to his need for commando style and I like to vacay so it appeals to me as well (I just am not big on commando style...I'd be fine with 2-3 relaxed five night trips a year). And because I hate flying, there is always a travel day on front and on end of each trip (so 1 week away from home each trip is just right for me).

Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Oct 31 Carnival Sunshine & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Old 01-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #55
A Prince and A Princess
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Great trip report....thanks for sharing! I wanted to say that we have done 2 HAL cruises and my kids loved them. My son is a junior at the University of Alabama, and my daughter is a sophomore in high school. Three years ago we went on a 12 night mediterranean cruise, and two years ago we did a 14 night Baltic cruise. There were quite a few kids on the ship, the shows were great, entertainment was top notch, the ships (Eurodam and Koningsdam respectively) were very nice and the ports were all fabulous. There were lots of younger people (30's to 50's) on ship. Maybe it was because it was in the summer, but I didn't feel like we were with an older crowd at all. We have done 5 DCL cruises, but we actually prefer HAL now (kids are older so that surely plays a part in saying that). Don't rule out HAL if the ports are ones you want to visit.....my kids are trying to talk us into another HAL cruise in Europe for my son's college graduation.
A Prince and A Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #56
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Prince and A Princess View Post
Great trip report....thanks for sharing! I wanted to say that we have done 2 HAL cruises and my kids loved them. My son is a junior at the University of Alabama, and my daughter is a sophomore in high school. Three years ago we went on a 12 night mediterranean cruise, and two years ago we did a 14 night Baltic cruise. There were quite a few kids on the ship, the shows were great, entertainment was top notch, the ships (Eurodam and Koningsdam respectively) were very nice and the ports were all fabulous. There were lots of younger people (30's to 50's) on ship. Maybe it was because it was in the summer, but I didn't feel like we were with an older crowd at all. We have done 5 DCL cruises, but we actually prefer HAL now (kids are older so that surely plays a part in saying that). Don't rule out HAL if the ports are ones you want to visit.....my kids are trying to talk us into another HAL cruise in Europe for my son's college graduation.
Good info...thanks. I was looking at their website last night. That's the cruise DH really wants to do. It starts in Quebec and ends in Boston (or goes the other way depending on dates). It's the Amsterdam??? I think. It's in July 2020. Then would maybe do F&W in Nov to space out a bit. I will look more into it today then. On vacationstogo it had decent pricing but then on HAL site it was way more so I have to see what pricing I can get (and if my Carnival VIFP points help with HAL).

Last edited by Lamima; 01-14-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #57
carolina_yankee
Administrator

So, here's my test for Grandeur of the Seas and RCL as a cruise line. Did you feel like you should be getting on the Disney dream when you were in the port at the same time in Nassau?

That's my fear - sailing another line and bumping into my first love. That could be really awkward.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #58
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
So, here's my test for Grandeur of the Seas and RCL as a cruise line. Did you feel like you should be getting on the Disney dream when you were in the port at the same time in Nassau?

That's my fear - sailing another line and bumping into my first love. That could be really awkward.

Dirk
My first love is the Disney Magic...first cruise ever and only on Disney cruise line. We did walk over to the Disney ship to get pics and I did comment that I wished our seapass card would ding on that ship. (we have been on Carnival the most, 9 times, and...NO...I did not go out of my way for pics of any CCL ship nor did I wish to try my seapass card on any...just the Disney ship and the Oasis and Mariner).

Last edited by Lamima; 01-14-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #59
Kmermaid
Two Bedroom

Nice trip report! DH and I have done three cruises so far. RCCL on Harmony, NCL to Bermuda last summer then this past November RCCL Symphony. The Symphony was its first sailing out of Miami and it was a short 4 day going down to Cozumel and back. DH will only do the big ships so I'm limited on where they go. I agree with the food on RCCL its subpar. My favorite was the Symphony - the shows were fantastic and they have great bars. They have a sports bar where we got to see a monday night Eagles/Dallas game which was fun. I would not hesitate to go on that ship again.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #60
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Well...went way off the reservation and booked another Carnival. Had a great past guest deal and was pricing that SIL liked. It's also a place I wasn't wanting to go to...Cuba. So 5 night out of Charleston (great for us to drive to) and on the Sunshine (great Carnival ship). Cuba and Key West, which I love (Key West). June 2020.

Also, since I lost my walking place on a CCV studio for Dec (we were going to do a studio and a 2BR for 3 nights)...we decided to go ALL in and book the cabin for 2 nights. I am again walking, daily, but don't think I need to though we need it for Dec 19 and 20th of 2019 so I'll flip it every day to get there...just to be sure. The 21-28 we are off site at Vistana.