home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Default Has anyone ever requested a Disneyland ressie through DVC?

Hey guys!
We are planning our trip for next year, and we are going to try the West Coast.
Today was my 7th month window to book Grand Californian. I am on a waitlist for the days that I want (the first day is taken), but as I was clicking around the DVC member website I saw that there was an option to request a room at one of the Disneyland resort hotels. Has anyone ever done this? Is it still like RCI where you would have to pay the transfer fee for points? Should I not worry about it and just book the Best Western across the street?
Any insight would be appreciated!
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyridleys View Post
Hey guys!
We are planning our trip for next year, and we are going to try the West Coast.
Today was my 7th month window to book Grand Californian. I am on a waitlist for the days that I want (the first day is taken), but as I was clicking around the DVC member website I saw that there was an option to request a room at one of the Disneyland resort hotels. Has anyone ever done this? Is it still like RCI where you would have to pay the transfer fee for points? Should I not worry about it and just book the Best Western across the street?
Any insight would be appreciated!
You can turn your DVC points into "reservation" points and use them to book at a Disneyland hotel, however, it is not the best value. That being said, I have done it when I couldn't book at the VGC resort. There is no $95 fee for booking at the Disneyland hotels using your points - it is the one exception in the network. However, once you turn your DVC points into "reservation" points they remain "reservation" points and must be used as "reservation" points if you have to cancel your reservation at the DL hotel for some reason.

I do have a question for you. When you went online to book was only the first day of your dates sold out? If so, I would not count on a wait list filling if you are wanting to book at the VGC for a string of dates. I would recommend going online tomorrow and trying to book the balance of your dates and hope that you only need to have a wait list for the first night.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Monday, 12/25/17 - Tuesday, 12/26/2017 - SSR
Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Disney Collection Reservations for a non-DVC Disneyland Hotel are not subject to the $95 transaction fee. If you do book a non-DVC DL Hotel and cancel that reservation, those points can no longer be used for a DVC Reservation (only another Disney Collection Reservation).

Also, if your points were purchased resale after 3/21/2011, you can't use them for a non-DVC Disney Hotel Reservation.

JaxFLBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
You can turn your DVC points into "reservation" points and use them to book at a Disneyland hotel, however, it is not the best value. That being said, I have done it when I couldn't book at the VGC resort. There is no $95 fee for booking at the Disneyland hotels using your points - it is the one exception in the network. However, once you turn your DVC points into "reservation" points they remain "reservation" points and must be used as "reservation" points if you have to cancel your reservation at the DL hotel for some reason.

I do have a question for you. When you went online to book was only the first day of your dates sold out? If so, I would not count on a wait list filling if you are wanting to book at the VGC for a string of dates. I would recommend going online tomorrow and trying to book the balance of your dates and hope that you only need to have a wait list for the first night.
Okay, thanks.
Yes, it is a 4 day trip and day 1 is booked. I will go on tomorrow and try to see if I can get the next group of days - the whole duration was available until this morning when I got on to book (I feel like people are just walking their ressies, but of course, I could just be paranoid).
I don't like the idea that the points can't be used for DVC anymore, though. And it is pretty point heavy. Ugh.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
Disney Collection Reservations for a non-DVC Disneyland Hotel are not subject to the $95 transaction fee. If you do book a non-DVC DL Hotel and cancel that reservation, those points can no longer be used for a DVC Reservation (only another Disney Collection Reservation).

Also, if your points were purchased resale after 3/21/2011, you can't use them for a non-DVC Disney Hotel Reservation.
Okay, so I am thinking this would only be a "last resort" resort.
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

We did it once. When I had a resale there were points that were cancelled Disney Collection and had to be used at one of those resorts (not DVC). It just happened to be the same number I needed for a stay at a DLR hotel. Worked for me.

Not the best use of points usually but do whatever works for you. Your points are there for your use and if you are happy with it, then do it If you don't get your stay via DVC I wouldn't hesitate to book that way as a last resort.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
legenza99
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We did this a few years ago. VGC was booked at the 7 month window so used points to book at the Disneyland Hotel but then a few weeks before our trip Disney moved us to the VGC anyway due to a capacity issue at Disneyland Hotel. We were in regular hotel rooms though, not DVC units. This stop was part of a larger trip to Hawaii so canceling and losing the points wasn't an issue.

As an aside, if you decide to stay at a third party hotel instead of using points, there are a few nice hotels that are very close to the Toy Story parking lot and you can just walk over and catch the Disney parking shuttle to the parks/Downtown Disney. Its more convenient than walking to the parks or using the public bus system. Disney doesn't advertise this but they won't deny you boarding the shuttles either.
legenza99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Okay, thanks.
Yes, it is a 4 day trip and day 1 is booked. I will go on tomorrow and try to see if I can get the next group of days - the whole duration was available until this morning when I got on to book (I feel like people are just walking their ressies, but of course, I could just be paranoid).
I don't like the idea that the points can't be used for DVC anymore, though. And it is pretty point heavy. Ugh.
I assume you are trying to book a studio? Can you step up to a 1 bdrm? People may be walking and if they are your wait list will fill quickly, however, I don't know how much you know about the VGC, but there are only 23 studios at the resort. You MUST be online exactly when the window opens for booking, also when you book it, only select one guest for the room so that you can move through the reservation window quickly and get to the confirmation screen. After you have the room confirmed you can call DVC MS and modify the guest list, don't worry about the guest list when you are trying to book/confirm the room -- best of luck!

Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)

Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I assume you are trying to book a studio? Can you step up to a 1 bdrm? People may be walking and if they are your wait list will fill quickly, however, I don't know how much you know about the VGC, but there are only 23 studios at the resort. You MUST be online exactly when the window opens for booking, also when you book it, only select one guest for the room so that you can move through the reservation window quickly and get to the confirmation screen. After you have the room confirmed you can call DVC MS and modify the guest list, don't worry about the guest list when you are trying to book/confirm the room -- best of luck!
Darn! I did not know that!
I will remember that for next time!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #10
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Darn! I did not know that!
I will remember that for next time!
The Villa's at The Grand Californian is the smallest DVC resort in the network. They only have 23 studios, 23 1 bdrms, 23 dedicated 2 bdrms and 2 grand villas. All of the studios and 1 bdrms have the ability to also be booked at 2 bdrm lock-offs.

Since it is such a small resort, you must book the second the booking window opens - especially if you want a studio - which always sell out very quickly since it is the least expensive room category. I'd venture a guess that you aren't really up against people walking so much as the resort is just small and it sells out quickly when the 7 month window opens.

If you can grab the rest of your dates tomorrow, and only have to wait list one night your odds of the one night filling is much better, but since there are only 23 studios it does limit your odds of getting a wait list to fill.

Hope this information helps and good luck booking your dates!