home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
ajc
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_solo View Post
Maybe make some spec rentals? If you can get into value or club level for AKV (it might take some walking to do), but some 3 or 4 nights here and there and then rent them out?

You may be able to splurge on a long weekend stay or expand into a larger or higher point use resort. Don't forget Hilton Head Island or Vero Beach for a beach weekend (depending on your location to drive vs. fly).

Check with the broker you bought the DVC membership from if you need to rent points. (unless it was direct from DVC)
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
cornbread4
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
It must just be too many akv points. Davids just rented out my beach club points in a day. Maybe the demand for 11 month rentals at akv is down?
Isn't David's based on a first owner to respond to his email request gets the rental? If so, keeping an eye on emails and responding quickly should help you rent sooner. Your immediate need is to rent your banked 2016 points for a reservation used by August 2018.

You can bank any 2017 points still available in Jan/Feb (has to be done by halfway mark into your Use Year) to the following year so that you can either use them from 9/18 to 8/19, or rent them if your vacation forecast turns out as dire as predicted. That should give you maximum flexibility.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #13
Mass Transit
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Three years is a *very* long time to go without a vacation. I don't think we could make it that long. No point in selling IMO. Just rent out (on your own if you like) and have hope that you'll get time to go on at least a very quick vacation in the next couple of years at least.
I agree. We're on the "vacation every 6 months" plan. Three years would kill us...

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
richviii
One Bedroom

I agree with others. David's will get it done for you. As soon as you sell, you will regret it. Squeeze in a long weekend and enjoy what you can!

2018 Apr - BCV & BLT

Recent
2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani

2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #15
pdude81
Two Bedroom

Maybe a weekend Poly Bungalow trip would help you shread a number of those points and allow for a targeted vacation. Certainly if you can find a renter that's a great option, but a high roller weekend at a bungalow would be a nice 3-year birthday present.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #16
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

Piling on here, you have sunk costs in the closing costs, plus the 4.5% or more you'd pay in commission to sell.

Easier to keep it unless you stood to profit on the sale.

If you've never done it I'd look into some short holiday trips when work is likely to be closed. July 4, NYE, etc. are all worth doing at least once. I've done NYE in DHS and Epcot and had a blast both times.

DVC properties I've tried: BRV (owner), AUL (owner), BWV (owner), VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Waiting to close on: VGC
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #17
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Congratulations! Sorry to hear about the challenges that you might have using your points. I'd recommend testing your hand at renting yourself if David thinks it might take a while to rent your points. The good news is that there is a large pool of potential people to rent to and I think you can successfully do this yourself (and maybe make more money in the long run) if you are so inclined.

Best of luck with your decision!

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Monday, 12/25/17 - Tuesday, 12/26/2017 - SSR
Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #18
ajc
One Bedroom

you might consider offering points for transfer as a once a year option or book coveted times and use them or rent out the space to a target audience (F&W or holiday week) before banking your total point list (once banked can't be transferred).
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
5DisneyFans
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Three years is a *very* long time to go without a vacation. I don't think we could make it that long. No point in selling IMO. Just rent out (on your own if you like) and have hope that you'll get time to go on at least a very quick vacation in the next couple of years at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
First of all.....There is always down time here and there. I work a lot, always have.....which means I have always needed to be creative with my days off. Holidays are my friend.....I seem to hit every holiday off that work is closed. We go almost every Labor Day, Memorial Day and Chrsitmas/NYE to WDW. On years where July 4th falls on a Mon/Fri I will also get away. And occasionally, I will do Easter weekend and next year, I will be going away over Thanksgiving.

Long weekend trips are also a staple for our traveling.

Since you are only guessing there will not be time to travel, I would hold off until you actually see that its not possible. In the mean time, I would rent the unused points. Eventually your schedule will allow you to go back to WDW and you will, since you already acknowledge you are kids at heart.

Renting with David is pretty easy and not much of a downside. The renting will cover your dues plus some extra. I say set the extra money aside after paying your dues for when you can finally have a big Disney trip.....then use the money and really big!
I totally agree. I've launched lots of products in my time, and of course there are times when vacation is not happening, but 3 years without a day off seems really extreme and I work in a really extreme environment.

So I would say rent out a year at a time. There have got to be some long weekends available in there. You know what they say "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." You don't want The Shining on your hands.

The Good, The Bad and the Extremely Sweaty 6/2011 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54835
First cruise success and failure 3/2012 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64677
Adults Only F&W trip 9/2012 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70803
7 teens, 4 Adults, 1 Grand Villa over NYE and we lived!_2014 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86675

5DisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #20
Hi from RI
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5DisneyFans View Post
I totally agree. I've launched lots of products in my time, and of course there are times when vacation is not happening, but 3 years without a day off seems really extreme and I work in a really extreme environment.

So I would say rent out a year at a time. There have got to be some long weekends available in there. You know what they say "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." You don't want The Shining on your hands.

ME ,DH , DS22 , DD20 , DD12

Stayed at : BLT, AKL, BWV, VGF, HHI, VERO, PVB,
DCL 2016
Before DVC Member: POR, ASM, PVR, OKW
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote