home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #221
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Ok. People hate Riviera. "It's not Disney themed!" (Same complaint for SSR.)

Disney puts in a Pocahontas statue in the lobby of a resort in a setting that evokes Pocahontas and it's "Enough with the IP already!"

Yeah, no owner Disney doesn't list to us!!

Personally, I think the statue is ugly and overly dramatic, but I get why it's there.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #222
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Yep...
There was a Tarzan show a number of years ago. IIRC, it was in AK in approximately the location of Finding Nemo.
I loved the Tarzan show! Except for it requiring sitting outside in the sun much like the Pocahontas show did too. Hunchback of Notre Dame remains my favorite show DHS has done and Lion King is very good but Tarzan was a lot of fun to see.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #223
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I hope that's fake for a slew of reasons.
Like the fact they photo shopped in the foosball table?
Old 08-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #224
Crafty
Grand Villa

I donít mind Pocahontas or her theme. What bothers me is that the statue is stuck in the middle of a very modern looking lobby. I like modern, especially mid-century. However...

There doesnít seem to be any coherence to the lobby. It is like they canít make up their minds which way to go. Personally, I like a strong central theme. I like to feel that each resort is a unique experience.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #225
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

I was expecting more Frontier type themeing to fit in with Ft. Wilderness. Exterior looks like some of our local apartment complexes.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #226
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I donít mind Pocahontas or her theme. What bothers me is that the statue is stuck in the middle of a very modern looking lobby. I like modern, especially mid-century. However...

There doesnít seem to be any coherence to the lobby. It is like they canít make up their minds which way to go. Personally, I like a strong central theme. I like to feel that each resort is a unique experience.
Doesn't give you an All Stars kind of vibe to have a huge statue of Pocahontas in the middle?

That's my biggest issue. If I want large in your face icons, I'll stay at the values. Since I loathe that, i do not stay there
Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #227
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Ok. People hate Riviera. "It's not Disney themed!" (Same complaint for SSR.)

Disney puts in a Pocahontas statue in the lobby of a resort in a setting that evokes Pocahontas and it's "Enough with the IP already!"

Yeah, no owner Disney doesn't list to us!!

Personally, I think the statue is ugly and overly dramatic, but I get why it's there.

Dirk
In all fairness, I love Riviera so at least I'm consistent. Hopefully that means it's cool for me to judge the over-the-top hideousness of that statue.

I will admit I'm very wounded by the Illuminations demise/replacement with an IP-centric show, but I think I'm not the only one who is generally sick of the ever-growing onslaught of IP.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #228
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

New concept art for Reflections QS. I'm still loving the big windows and natural materials and open space, but not loving the super-obvious IP. I adore Bambi, but that art is so in-your-face. Like someone else mentioned, it feels like a Value resort experience. Hopefully they tone it down a bit.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/08/concept-ar...akeside-lodge/
Old 08-14-2019, 11:10 PM   #229
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaedeesmom View Post
I think I'm not the only one who is generally sick of the ever-growing onslaught of IP.
Not at all.

Whenever I refer to good or bad theming it actually rarely means Disney characters thrown all over the place. I absolutely think hidden Mickeys should be all over but that's it. I like good THEME though. It doesn't mean Disney characters though. Subtle touches are good.

But on IP apparently Pocahontas is the character they always associate with nature. What about little Snow White and all her forest friends?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #230
Crafty
Grand Villa

I like the theming of WL, AKL, and OKW. Each has a unique outlook and creates an ambiance for a vacation.

I am not aware of IPs being featured at any of them. Any IP allusions are subtle.

The Star Wars hotel will be just the opposite. It is meant to be that way for the dedicated fans who are willing to pay.

The REFL concept art seems to show neither of those approaches. It just seems like a mixed up mess. I do like all the windows.

What worries me is the Beauty and the Beast Bar at GF. Previously GF had theming that created a strong ambiance, not tied to IPs. Is the elegant Victorian feel on the way out? If that is the case, the REFL lobby may be the theming type of the future.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote