home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

Default Series of First Stays - 1 Bed Value at AK - Not What I Expected

We just returned from an extended trip to Disney (extended by Irma). We had planned to spend a few days at AK, then head up to our newly purchased 2nd home in St Augustine Beach in order to meet movers with a furniture delivery. We never made it to St Augustine Beach. Instead, we spent 3 nights at AK, 1 night at Vero Beach and 5 nights at PVB...first time at each.

Here are my thoughts on our AKV stay...Irma was not much of a concern at this time:

A few years back, we purchased 160 points at AKV thinking it would be a nice place for extended family to stay as we had normally been traveling in large parties. The value rooms are especially point friendly. We had enjoyed Jiko, Sanaa and Victoria Falls. But, we had no desire to spend the night. I could never see myself bussing it each day. We are more BWV, BCV and BLT folks. My DD and DS and their families / guests have often stayed at AKV and have been very pleased each time.

For reasons stated above, and wanting to conserve points, I snagged a 1 bed value reservation for three nights beginning 9/03 for me and DH. I have to say, much to my surprise, I absolutely loved it there. I requested a savannah view and my wishes were fulfilled. Room 5116 was great!. On the Ostrich Trail, we saw many animals...zebra, giraffe, ostrich and so on. It was a small savanna, but very nice.

There is something quite indescribable, an essence of being transported elsewhere that warmly fills you while you are there. I am quite hard to impress most times. But, I found myself feeling peaceful, relaxed and well...happy during our stay.

I loved the:

Overall ambiance
Excellent service
One bed space at a studio price
Cultural richness
Animal viewing
Wine selection

I liked:

Jiko...been there before. It was a little off this time
Boma. There was an initial seating issue that was resolved, but could have been better handled
Bus service was better than expected. Even though we had a car, never used it

Opportunities for improvement:

The sofa...it was as hard as a rock to sit on. Must be a better quality sofabed available
The shower/tub entry. It seemed dangerous having to straddle the sides getting in and out
The bed, while very comfortable, it was high. Had to jump up to get in

I am now a converted AKV fan and look forward to future stays! The reduced sq footage of the value unit was never an issue. Understanding that I was lucky to receive my location request, I am a view snob. Next time, I may just go for the Savanna view so not to be disappointed. Wish we had tried it sooner.

Last edited by nrspepe; 09-13-2017 at 03:24 PM.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

so glad to hear this! We have a value 1BR for a night on our upcoming trip - have also requested a savannah view, hoping for the same luck you had!

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Love out AKV stays too......

We never feel its out of the way. Like you, we Love how it the resort ambiance just takes you to another place.

Seeing the Giraffes walking the savanna gets me every time.

And Sanaa.....Can never say enough good things about their food.....always good!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
so glad to hear this! We have a value 1BR for a night on our upcoming trip - have also requested a savannah view, hoping for the same luck you had!

As I have posed many times over the years, call 10-14 days prior to your trip and make your room request. You will need to call the resort and asl to speak to the room assigner.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
babysimba
One Bedroom

Great summary and glad you enjoyed your stay at AKL. I loved AKL, but my husband was not a fan the one and only time we stayed there. That was pre DVC purchase, now when he sees the point value there, I can see his brain churning. Like you, I hope he changes his mind. May have to show him your post .

We had a similar experience at Coronado Springs. Disney "free" dining placed us there and initially I was not thrilled. After staying there, I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't hesitate to extend a DVC stay at Coronado for a couple nights.

Last edited by babysimba; 09-13-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: typo
babysimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
As I have posed many times over the years, call 10-14 days prior to your trip and make your room request. You will need to call the resort and asl to speak to the room assigner.
I'll do that! Thanks!

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Great summary! We are also fans of AKL. Glad you enjoyed your stay there!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
JudieHopps
One Bedroom

Glad you are a covert!
We love AK. We are more partial to Kidani for its "calmness" but love them both. They each bring something to the table.
Sometimes, through circumstance, we all get that luxury of seeing what we didn't see before.

I do hope your St.Augustine home away from home is fine and you get settled in soon!
Welcome home!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
PirateLinda
One Bedroom

Glad you enjoyed your AKL stay! It is wonderful there.

We are BWV people, too. Love BW view and walking to Epcot. But after our second stay at Kidani, we ended up buying points there, too.

We have our first stay at Jambo in February. Looking forward to trying that!

PirateLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
disney65
Grand Villa

Another AKL lover. I prefer Kidani for rooms and Jambo for lobby. Never felt distance between the too being a problem. Always book room in kidani and walk over to jambo for enjoyment.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote