home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #101
MMC1
Grand Villa

I always “wonder” if my relatives look at the price they would be paying to WDW for a resort property. Maybe he looked and the first amount that popped up for comparison was the quoted rate of $895 not realizing that was just per day pricing.
I would have been tempted to say if you can find that price for me for my next trip I would be thanking you!
MMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #102
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
I always “wonder” if my relatives look at the price they would be paying to WDW for a resort property. Maybe he looked and the first amount that popped up for comparison was the quoted rate of $895 not realizing that was just per day pricing.
I would have been tempted to say if you can find that price for me for my next trip I would be thanking you!
Or he looked up MF costs for those points
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #103
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Sometimes it's just better to treat Disney like a cult. No need to tell anybody about it unless they "get it." Otherwise, it's just an exercise in futility.

But what you all are doing for your families and friends with gifting them Disney vacations is really nice, and I truly hope it doesn't come back to bite you!!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #104
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
My guess is he probably got to the room and was wowed...and likely felt a little bad about accepting what would likely be a very expensive gift. The MSRP on a 1BR CRO is probably about $800 a night -- so $4000 for the five days. I know if I got a really expensive gift from someone, I might feel a little guilty about it.

He probably then went online to see how many points it actually cost (24 points a night) and then multiplied by MFs ($7.44) to come up with the $895 total.

while I agree it was in poor taste for BIL to mention the price to the owners...it also seems a little in poor taste to tell someone that the gift they got was very expensive.

If you put yourself in BIL's shoes...not sure what the response should be. He thanked them and brought them a nice thank you gift, and during that exchange, he was told it was a good thing he enjoyed it b/c it was an expensive gift.

I'm guessing he might have been caught off-guard a little and got defensive, perhaps thinking that the gift suddenly had some extra strings attached.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #105
Soul Brother
Studio

We take family all the time and I always tell them how much the room would be if we had booked it cash.
It's just my way of explaining to them (and probably justifying it internally) the value we get out of DVC and how we would never pay that amount on a regular basis.

I never charge family to come with us so it's irrelevant other than pointing out the fact how expensive it is to stay at Disney without DVC.

To the OP, it's awesome that you did that for your BIL. I wouldn't have been able to keep the real cost quiet when he made that mistake though.......so good on you for biting your tongue.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #106
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

We've had my sister and her husband join us on several WDW trips. They don't have children but adore ours!

We bought DVC in 2014 (Poly & AKV) and they joined us in 2018 and will be with us this July for our DS's 21st birthday. DS and this uncle share the same birthday so we try to celebrate together as often as possible! Our DD 26 will also be with us.

Last summer we did a 2BR at AKV and gave them the master bedroom because that way one of our children could share our bedroom and the other was on the sleeper sofa.

This summer it's two lake view studios at the Poly.

We use our points for their room and would never consider having them pay toward their accommodations! They could easily afford to contribute to the cost of the MFs, but that would be just plain weird to even consider asking them!!!

When they owned a second home in the Rockies and we visited every year (sometimes multiple times a year!), they never asked us to help pay toward their mortgage or the upkeep of their home and it was gorgeous!

Why would we not invite them and share our favorite place with them?!?! Having them join us and vacation with us, is payment enough!!! It's a no-brainer for us and they are welcome anytime and every time we go!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #107
BWV2013
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
My problem is that I have a whole family full of Cousin Eddies. Both blood related and the out-laws, I mean in-laws.

I had to put my foot down after a family member got mad because I would not let them borrow my annual pass to get into the parks. Now, the only way they are getting any perks is if they are lucky enough for me to invite them to go with me.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #108
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I just read title over and it is DVC bad not Disney bad... sorry
I am DVC so kinda close enough?
Actually, the thread is about issues in sharing DVC with friends and family.

Cheers.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:26 AM   #109
bakerworld
Grand Villa

So I mentioned to my husband again that he shouldn't have made the 'expensive vacation' remark as he might have insulted or diminished the vacation in some way. Dan tells me he doesn't think so as BIL#2 said sometime he'd like to return when we go with BIL#1 and his SO.

Dan did tell him that we're going over labor day weekend to the Dolphin with the first BIL#1 in this thread (separate rooms - we'll gather for dinners but the day will be our own). So we'll see
Old 04-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #110
grayandry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Ha you are nicer than I am. I wouldn't have given them my old card (then again mine is falling apart) LOL
Agreed.
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote