home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #51
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I absolutely do not think SSR is riddled with mold. I've stayed their twice in the last 12 months and it has been very clean both times. Yes, you can see things that say the room are ready for a full-refurb, but the place was clean. My complaints are more about loose hinges and jammed drawers, not dirt and mold.
Agreed....We stay at SSR yearly and last year we stayed there twice, July and October. Both times are rooms were clean and mold/mildew free.

I can also tell you that the rooms at any of the DVC rooms are in better shape then an equivalent Disney hotel room since their last renovation.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #52
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Agreed....We stay at SSR yearly and last year we stayed there twice, July and October. Both times are rooms were clean and mold/mildew free.

I can also tell you that the rooms at any of the DVC rooms are in better shape then an equivalent Disney hotel room since their last renovation.
Really? I haven't stayed in a cash room in a long time, with the exception of POFQ in 2013. That room was great, but a Studio is still better because of the layout and amenities.

Dirk
Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #53
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Really? I haven't stayed in a cash room in a long time, with the exception of POFQ in 2013. That room was great, but a Studio is still better because of the layout and amenities.

Dirk
We had some last minute trips like decision made at 9am, on flight by 5pm DVC wasn't an option.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #54
krisephillips
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
Have to say the comments on the first page are frightening.

We have an upcoming stay in May at SSR and itís too late to switch resorts.

Our entire family has horrible allergies- we will be miserable if we have that much mold in the bathrooms.

Usually I take the complaints with a grain of salt. Buses and big resorts donít bother us as we always have a car. Lack of dining options is not and issue - we have a kitchen but usually eat in the parks anyway. But mold seriously effects our health. Is it really that bad or is this like the guy on another site saying SSR porch lights attract bugs?
This was just one particularly bad room for one reason or another. The room we were in was at Grandstand, ground floor, nearest the bus stop. I would hope the issues were addressed as we made a list of the issues and reported them to the desk. I also sent photographs to DVC to report as well.

We were told it was a lock-off studio from a handicap accessible one bedroom. (Not sure why that was explained to us, as that still was not a reason for the condition of this particular studio).

When you arrive in your room take a look around. If something bothers you address it to the desk. If it cannot be remedied then ask for a different room.

There is a "deep cleaning service" that they provide for members with allergies. I have seen this posted here previously but cannot recall if price was listed for this service. May want to ask members services if this can be added as a request for the room if you have concerns as well.

Disney Castaway Club Member-Silver Level.

Last edited by krisephillips; 03-12-2018 at 03:44 PM.
krisephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #55
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

I feel they have learned a lot from the latest DVC builds. The new ones make great use of the space. Much needed upgrade especially for its great location.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #56
noreen99
One Bedroom

Quote:
I absolutely do not think SSR is riddled with mold. I've stayed their twice in the last 12 months and it has been very clean both times. Yes, you can see things that say the room are ready for a full-refurb, but the place was clean. My complaints are more about loose hinges and jammed drawers, not dirt and mold.

The only place I've ever had mold concern was at OKW, but it was very minor, and the studio was also very clean.

Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisephillips View Post
This was just one particularly bad room for one reason or another. The room we were in was at Grandstand, ground floor, nearest the bus stop. I would hope the issues were addressed as we made a list of the issues and reported them to the desk. I also sent photographs to DVC to report as well.

We were told it was a lock-off studio from a handicap accessible one bedroom. (Not sure why that was explained to us, as that still was not a reason for the condition of this particular studio).

When you arrive in your room take a look around. If something bothers you address it to the desk. If it cannot be remedied then ask for a different room.

There is a "deep cleaning service" that they provide for members with allergies. I have seen this posted here previously but cannot recall if price was listed for this service. May want to ask members services if this can be added as a request for the room if you have concerns as well.
Thank you all for your responses.
Spent some time looking into the ď deep cleanĒ there is spotty information available at best. Have an email out to MS in regards.

Guess I am incredibly nervous this trip especially staying at a resort I am unfamiliar with.

Thanks again
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #57
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

Our grandson has a serious dog allergy. We have received the deep cleaning service since his allergy was discovered when he was two. Our fear is being in a villa following a guest with a service dog. When we make our reservation and mention the concern to MS, they always say they will add the deep cleaning request to the ressie.

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
LOVINDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #58
RunningTink
One Bedroom

We were not thrilled with the condition of the room when we stayed at SSR for a week over marathon races in Jan. Worn and tired furniture, sad bath fixtures and general feeling of being run down. That being said, we had taken a red eye and were given a room by 8am so I wasnít up for complaining at all.

Iíd kill for them to put king sized beds in the studios even though I know itíll never happen. We currently make our own king with luggage rack and our stand up suitcases, extra pillows and blankets. It actually works pretty well.

Future goal is to be able to book 1 bdrm, but we have to stop going so often. That point jump from studio to 1 bdrm is nearly the points of a second trip.

RunningTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #59
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Yall may think I am crazy, and I know it would cause maintenance fees to skyrocket, but I think they should have a horse stable on site at SSR. It is a horse themed resort....and it has NO horses.....Ak is an animal themed resort and has animals....BC has the great sandy pool, BW indeed has a boardwalk...how can SSR not have horses? Lots of people say SSR is just missing something....I do think it needs something to give it a "draw" ...aka a sense of "uniqueness". If not horses, then at least horse drawn carriage rides or a beautiful wooden carousel in the lobby.....it just needs something to "spice " it up.

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS19 DD13

Last edited by DisneyTravelers; 03-14-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #60
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
Yall may think I am crazy, and I know it would cause maintenance fees to skyrocket, but I think they should have a horse stable on site at SSR. It is a horse themed resorts....and it has NO horses.....Ak is an animal themed resort and has animals....BC has the great sandy pool, BW indeed has a boardwalk...how can SSR not have horses? Lots of people say SSR is just missing something....I do think it needs something to give it a "draw" ...aka a sense of "uniqueness". If not horses, then at least horse drawn carriage rides or a beautiful wooden carousel in the lobby.....it just needs something to "spice " it up.
There use to be horse carriage rides at the resort. It was not popular and Disney did away with the carriage rides.