home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #61
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Very strange......your pictures were there yesterday. And the pic I put on the thread was there both days. Today, all of them are gone.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #62
Kickapoo Joie Juice
DVC Board Guide

Ok, I'm going to soldier on with no pictures-just click on the link on page one and fill in the story as best as you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
Ok, that is one of the best pictures of the Lion I have ever seen. Never seem to get that much of a shot!
on my iPhone it's actually a live pic of him going "gak!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
so what is the ChEAR gold squad?
(So much to learn about WDW)
So the ChEAR gold squad is for people who want to support their runners during the marathons. You get a bag, a blanket to sit on (which came in super handy at MK), a cowbell (which was fun for the first It minute and then it became vuvuzela-level annoying), a pin, a dedicated seating section at the finish line at EPCOT, free hot and cold beverages, and reserved porta potties.

It was $60, and like many things at WDW, I thought it was overpriced, but not so much that i regretted buying it.

Back to the TR:

We stayed at AK until about 3, and we felt like we'd seen enough, so I bullied Jen into going to the outlet store near Mary Queen of The Universe. She's never been, and for someone who's been to WDW as many times as I have (plus she's done the cruises), I was amazed. I really shouldn't have been-she's already a minimalist, and clutter and disorder make her stressed.

We walked through the slightly seedy, sticky-doored mayhem that is the food court to get to Character Premier, and for those of you who know and love that place, it's very hit or miss, and it's either crazy crowded or empty.

Today it was a big miss, AND crazy crowded. No good stuff, no cruise stuff. I was looking for some pajama bottoms for Mr. Wilson, since he'd worn the motorcycle Mickey jams until they literally disintegrated off of him. Nothing.

Jen looked at me like "WTF!" and we left. I kept saying "sometimes it's awesome" and she was like, "suuuuuure".

Walked all around Disney Springs again (no adult beverages today, but lots of hydrating), ate at, um, the quick pizza place-I think it was called Fire or something like that-it was *excellent*. We were trying to decide between that and Morimoto's quick service, picked the pizza for lower sodium.

Back at the room and asleep by 8:45. Alarm is set for 2:30 am to make the Teal #7 bus at the front of Saratoga Springs, which will take all the princesses and their ladies in waiting to the starting line...
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #63
babysimba
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickapoo Joie Juice View Post
Yep, I'm having the same problem! I think it might be amazon screwing with us-my Alexa is laughing at random times, and I had to unplug her...

Waaaaay too close to a Stephen King novel for my liking. lol

Loved the pictures. Which flooring did you decide upon? The gray or lighter shade of gray? Loved them both.
babysimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #64
Kickapoo Joie Juice
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysimba View Post

Loved the pictures. Which flooring did you decide upon? The gray or lighter shade of gray? Loved them both.
We went with one not shown there-it's called DuChateau Vernal white oiled. It's an oiled/hard wax engineered matte floor.

it means when I inevitably scratch it, I can scrub it out with a scrubby pad, put some oil and wax on it, and it buffs right out .

or so they say, lol. Really, though, it gets good reviews so I think it's a good fit. Not shiny means the west facing exposure won't blast us out with the reflection from the floor. Dark floors+Atlanta sun+west exposure=faded.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #65
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysimba View Post

Stephen King short story even (Bachman books, anyone?)
Ooooh...
XX shades of gray?
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #66
Kickapoo Joie Juice
DVC Board Guide

2:30 am the alarms go off

We're up and out and walking to the front of Saratoga Springs to catch the bus. All around us are tons of people wearing running clothes overlaid and interwoven with sparkly headbands, tiaras, tutus, capes, you name it, if a disney character wore it, it got on the bus with us!

I made a t-shirt on redbubble in Maleficient colors, and Jen did a low-key Maleficent. The fact that she dressed up at all is amazing since it's not her thing. I was once threatened with death for wanting to wear a side ponytail and neon to a Duran Duran concert that we went to

The buses are the custom coach kind, and there are TONS of them-ours was from the Villages (about an hour north of Orlando, it's a huge retirement community). They all roll into the Imagine parking lot at just after 3, and it's crazy! There's pounding music, huge lights shooting into the sky, and tons of people everywhere.

My 3 am brain just can't process it, and I've already powered through my first cup of tea (can't eat that early in the morning). I have my band that lets me into all the ChEAR stuff, and we figure out where everything is-starting line is about a half mile from the actual staging area.

I worry that I won't be able to get a good seat in the ChEAR section at the Magic Kingdom, so I head over there around 4 am. Walked through the front of EPCOT and it's *totally* empty (of course), and hop on the monorail over to the MK-tons of people are getting OFF the monorail, very few getting on.

I hope I'm not too late to get a good seat...
Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #67
Kickapoo Joie Juice
DVC Board Guide

Nope; I'm FIRST. Like there are 20 people ahead of me at the entrance to MK

Eventually they let us in (I waited about 30 minutes and there's a REALLY long line coming from the monorail after me).

Don't run, they say-leave that to the runners!

Yeah, a ton of people ran. I walked because I'm a rule follower, and I was hoping that I'd still be able to get a good spot because they're supposed to be reserved.

Right in front of the Cinderella Castle is the ChEAR section, and they have people watching it, and I get in and plop down right in front of a cone-I think, awesome, I'll have people running right past me and I'll be sure to see it!

Nope; Newbie Screwbie. The ChEAR section is actually right in front of where they have the photographers set up to take pictures for people who want to stop during the race and have their picture taken in front of the castle.

I'm actually about 50 FEET away from where the runners come down by the castle, damn it.

And I was so early that I COULD have picked the spot if I'd known. So pro-tip: As you're looking at the castle, pick a spot to the left of it so you can see the runners coming down the ramp-they're all lit up.

But it was too late to change because it was pretty packed.

Another thing that we meant to do and forgot-you can track people if you both have iPhones-we forgot to do that, so I was using the ChEAR squad one that was supposed to send you texts-but the texts were like "runner has passed the 5k mark". Uh, what is that in miles? This is a half marathon!

Evidently there's another app in the ChEAR squad that tracks them better, but I didn't know about it until I was riding the Monorail (other people were using it and showed me) back to try and catch up with Jen-I'd missed her because it's impossible to watch the neverending stream of 25,000 runners, and I was trying to figure out if the text that said "your runner passed the 10k mark" meant I'd missed her.

Also, the blanket came in really handy because while it was one of the warmest days for the run that Disney has seen in a while, it still got cold sitting on the concrete from 4-7:30 am. And since they rinse down the concrete at night, it was damp and smelled faintly like dirty diapers (I have a super sensitive nose), so it was nice to have that waterproof side facing down and the fleece side keeping me warm. I love that blanket!!!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #68
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Wow! KJJ is back! Iíve only recently started lurking more, but itís been a while since doing a trip report. Glad to see youíre getting back at it!
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote