home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #51
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We never made the transition since we don't have kids...so several years of adults-only trips.

One word: Bars.

Expanded answer: WDW has a bunch of cool ones.

Cheers.
no word needed:
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #52
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
My wife and I have addressed this "life transition" point a number of years ago. Understandable that it generates mixed feelings. The first time there without the kids creates a bit of a combination of excitement, nostalgia, guilt, loneliness, freedom, and other such conflicting emotions.

Trips with and without are different experience completely. Don't try to somehow "compare" them. They are two different things. Treat them as different trips.

Now we go by ourselves for the F+W each year. And we go with the kids and grandkids during the end of summer on the last of the school vacation period. Both WONDERFUL times.

If your kids are just off to independent lives and college and such... you are also hitting the first "empty nest" stuff... that compounds the issues.

Go... and enjoy a very different and still great experience. Savor the good memories it will invariably bring up. Remember that you gave your kids the gift of those fun times together,...... those do not go away for any of you. And also remember that they likely have long lives ahead of them, and will likely enjoy Disney off and on long after you are no longer going yourselves. And they will be happy that you are enjoying yourselves as a couple.

best,

.............john

I still can't believe how many people never went to WDW as a kid (I gave my DD & SIL their honeymoon trip to AKL savanna view and paid air fare and park passes ). He never went as a kid with his folks so we all went down for their honeymoon (me,DH,MIL,FIL,DD,SIL) and stayed at three different resorts and caught up for meals and some touring in the parks.
We had a blast but SIL said he needed a vacation from his honeymoon so I gave them Vero Beach points for Xmas (or they can use them at WDW or HHI). Adulthood has its benefits.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #53
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

We just made this transition this year. We took a NYE trip with the kids, then went back to WDW 3 weeks later, just my husband and I. We had a great time....you can read the trip report here: http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=126244

The thing we liked about the adult only trip is that it is more relaxed. We planned some things, and did other things 'spur of the moment'. Although I will say that our last trip with the kids during NYE was like that too....but there's more pressure to come up with a plan with open time when a larger group is along.

ME DH DS20 DD17
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #54
Wonderdog4
Studio

We didn't buy into DVC until the kids were grown. Does that make us selfish?
We bring our daughter and son in law along every other year for F&W. Our other trips are all about us....and it's awesome.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #55
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Time to start dropping hints to those kids about grandchildren.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #56
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Time to start dropping hints to those kids about grandchildren.
You got that right! Our first DGS is on the way, due in August.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #57
bakerworld
Grand Villa

We have one step-GD fairly recently acquired whose Dad doesn't get WDW, thinks its an expensive waste of time and he's more interested in hunting (complete waste IMO considering our location), camping (x2) and riding bikes that cost $1K+. Now, JIC you can't tell, I'm not particularly parental or whatever but I looked my daughter in the eye last month and we had a conversation which basically instituted that kid is going to WDW next year with or without (probably preferable) her Dad. Its fine if she never goes again but the kid should get one swat at the princess gang before she hits puberty. Of course this is a 'guilt/hot' button for me as by the time we were able to get our eldest (who'd been asking for like 5 years) to WDW she had past that stage and we ended up having to purchase an autograph book for the characters to realize that she was a kid (which, once they did, they were wonderful).

BTW, I didn't volunteer to accompany them - just provide the room, ticket and air. I will probably also do the FP and the ADRs because she's gotta experience a few 'musts'. Check! Hopefully nobody else will contribute to the family numbers (yep, not parental).

Now, back to the original basis for this thread of wonderful stress-free/true vacation adult trips.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #58
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post

So i'd like to hear from folks who have made the transition from traveling to the world with the kids to traveling to the world as a couple. What advice can you give, (ive been thinking two short trips, one during food and wine, one during flower and garden)
I transitioned to this last year - DD freshman year.

What caught me by surprise was that my DD was playing a sport, and I had planned to go to Food and Wine, but couldn't because she was playing in a tournament close to home. And then in spring, I ended going to HHI not WDW, because of same.

So my advise is to get your college student's school calendar, as well as any sports or other activities, to layout possible times to go. The week before finals can be busy, and you child may need help on few things, so I found that was not a good time for us to go.

But two trips sounds lovely. And we're also doing one summer - water park trip with DD, when she is out of school.

Congrats on getting your kids this far, and enjoy.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #59
gflatto
Two Bedroom

We're not quite there in total - kids (twins) finish up 10th grade this week. But they are going on a trip with a school group in June, so jflatto and I are heading to the world by ourselves while they're gone. Our last trip to WDW by ourselves was also the first trip ever both of us - and our honeymoon (25 1/2 years ago). We did do a few days at DL one year while the kids went camping, but this is definitely going to be new for us at WDW. Hope to slow it down, and enjoy the atmosphere more than usual, and maybe visit a resort that we've not been to before (never 'wasted' time on things like that with the kids!).

We likely won't be without the kids on a regular basis for a number of years. Given that DH is a professor, we will still be locked into school-type schedules - which means the kids may still be available to join us throughout their college careers. But there may (hopefully) be more couples only trips for awhile, at least.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon
May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member
May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV
May/June 2010 - VWL
July 2010 - VGC
Christmas 2010 - BLT
May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV
July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!
October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP
May/June 2012 - BCV
Christmas, 2012 - BLT
June, 2013 - AKV (Kidani) and BWV
December, 2013 - VGF and BLT
December, 2014 - BWV
June, 2015 - AKV (Kidani) and SSR
December, 2015 - Christmas Cruise on the Fantasy
October, 2016 - BLT
May/June 2017 - BWV
October, 2017 - AKV (Kidani) and CCV
Next Up: June, 2018 - BWV (No kids!)
gflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #60
Maddismom
One Bedroom

Ahhhhh... I love a no kids trip! You can totally relax and go at your pace on your schedule and no one else dictates the park or rides!

We enjoy the spots that we may not have typically visited when there with a larger group of family including kids.

Spots like the bars/lounges at the resorts are fun (BC/YC, PVB and VGF are faves) and we'll even have a few small apps and make it our meal so we don't need ADR's or spend as much on a big dinner!

Ft Wilderness and the wagon/carriage ride is fun and romantic.

People watching from wherever you can grab a couple of seats is fun too - either at a pool bar, in the park or at DS!

We are trying to build in an activity on our more recent trips so the archery lesson at FW was fun and hope to do the Wild Africa Trek next time.

Take advantage of things you may have neglected to see up close and in person on prior trips and enjoy!!!
Maddismom is offline   Reply With Quote