home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
DVC Data

Arrow Point Transfers Between DVC Members

Transfers allow a DVC member to assign all or a portion of their points to another DVC member.

Just as with “renting points”, a point transfer takes trust between the two parties. Once the points are transferred from one member to another, that’s it. If something were to go wrong, there is no recourse because DVC does not allow members to receive compensation for point transfers (a rule widely ignored). Some members ask for 50% down and then will accept 50% after the transfer, while others demand full payment up front.

The rules surrounding transfers are documented in the Home Resort Rules and Regulations, as shown in detail in the second post of this thread. Here is a summary in plain English:
  • Policies limit point-transfer transactions to one transfer per Member or Membership, either as transferee or transferor, during a given Use Year (not calendar year). So, you can either transfer points into your account or out of your account in a single Use Year – You cannot do both. The transfer is one per membership ID and not one per contracts; if you have multiple contract in one membership still one transfer rule applies. (Member Services has demonstrated latitude when a single owner is performing transfers between their own contracts with different Use Years)
  • Transferred points retain the Use Year and Home Resort Priority of the Membership they were transferred from.
  • All transferred points expire at the end of the transferring member’s Use Year (unless they are banked).
  • All transfer transactions are final and irreversible. There is no going back.
  • The receiving member can bank transferred points.
  • Banked or borrowed points may not be transferred.
  • Transferred points can not be borrowed.
  • If the member transferring the points and the member receiving them do not have the same Use Year, the recipient should ensure Member Services transfers the points into their correct Use Year.
  • It has been reported in the past that transferred points will not show up online if the resort and use year of the member transferring the points and the member receiving them do not match. Member Services can see them, but you apparently cannot. This means you must call MS if you want to book a reservation with transferred points. This may change as DVC upgrades it's DVCMember.com web site.
  • Both the member transferring the points and the member receiving the transferred points must be current on their annual dues and monthly payments (if applicable) for the transfer to be processed by MS.
  • The member transferring the points is still responsible for annual dues on the transferred points. The member to whom the points were transferred has no responsibility for dues on those points – even if those points are from a future UY.
  • According to the rules set by DVC, members are expressly prohibited from receiving compensation for engaging in any transferring of points. While the official documents prohibit you from receiving compensation for a transfer of points, it is a limited prohibition. One thing they want to prevent is MS, which actually does the transfer, from being entangled in any dispute over a transfer.

Last edited by DVC Data; 06-24-2015 at 06:15 AM.
DVC Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Egs250
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Smile

Wow, this is great! Thanks for all the info! There is just so much to know and so many rules with DVC, this site is really great with helping figure it out!

I also just figured out that I need to log in when I'm checking the forums on my phone!

Grand Floridian Owner

Upcoming DW Trip:
September 2017 - AKL
Egs250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Christina427

Default Transfer/rent

How do you transfer or rent points?
Christina427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina427 View Post
How do you transfer or rent points?
I'm going to guess that you read the first post in this thread. What specifically do you have a question about?
Old 08-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
DMKEDM
One Bedroom

Lord, Dear Lord, PLEASE save us from any more Disney "upgrades!" (Reference to the possibility that we'll be able to see transferred points online if Disney does another upgrade)...
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKEDM View Post
Lord, Dear Lord, PLEASE save us from any more Disney "upgrades!" (Reference to the possibility that we'll be able to see transferred points online if Disney does another upgrade)...
Their all day upgrades certainly interfere with my stalking!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Christina427

Default Response - questions about renting and trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I'm going to guess that you read the first post in this thread. What specifically do you have a question about?
I've never rented or traded but have 130 points I need to get rid of. I read that you couldn't receive compensation for trading so does that mean you can't get paid for them, you just have to give them to someone? Also, I read you can only trade with another DVC member but you can rent to anyone? Is this something that is pretty easy to do on this site, do people want the points? Is there somewhere else I should post? Thanks!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I've never rented or traded but have 130 points I need to get rid of. I read that you couldn't receive compensation for trading so does that mean you can't get paid for them, you just have to give them to someone? Also, I read you can only trade with another DVC member but you can rent to anyone? Is this something that is pretty easy to do on this site, do people want the points? Is there somewhere else I should post? Thanks!
No Ma'am! You do NOT give your points away! You may be able to transfer them to another member FOR MONEY, or you can rent them. Points transfers are the easiest, but your points may not be eligible. Let's work through this together. What use year are your point from, and were they banked?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
Christina427

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
How do I know if my points are eligible for a transfer? They are from the current use year (need to be used by November 30, 2015) they have not been banked.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #10
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
How do I know if my points are eligible for a transfer? They are from the current use year (need to be used by November 30, 2015) they have not been banked.
I'm not an expert, and I'm hoping a more seasoned member will jump in here and help me out, but you should be able to do a points transfer with those. With a December UY, the points cannot be banked by the purchaser, so you may not be able to get quite as much for them. But, YES, people will be interested in them!

Last edited by ermindy1133; 08-15-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: more information
ermindy1133 is online now   Reply With Quote