home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #61
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
Off topic...but we had a PCjr when I was young, wikipedia lists that and the iie as being launched in 1984? Before that we had a couple things that could barely be called "computers" such as a Sinclair and a Texas Instruments.
//e was released in Jan 1983. Buying mine was my first official "loan" as a young adult ... I had to finance the purchase.

Yes, we had also had the Sinclair and a wide variety of TI products ... some programmable on mag strips.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #62
Adelard of Bath
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Yes, we had also had the Sinclair and a wide variety of TI products ... some programmable on mag strips.
Tell me about the mag strips! Never heard of that. I used to have a stack of punch cards my dad brought home from IBM, sadly I recycled them all years ago.
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #63
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I think our first computer was a Commodore 64. It had the modem that hooked up to the telephone handset and a cassette tape recorder that I never did figure out. I honestly wasn’t that impressed with it. I was much happier outside with my horses.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #64
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

I hope that part of the change is to get rid of that scary moving walkway. Last time, I froze and even though the CM kept nicely saying "Don't worry-I've got you" and offered me her arm, I was terrified. Even when they slowed it to almost a stop, I was still afraid. And while we're hoping for changes, I'd love (I mean hear) "Tomorrow's Child" come back. I still hear it is part of the theme music in Future World, but let's bring it back to Spaceship Earth.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #65
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Try Martin Smith’s site. If you haven’t come across him before, he does amazing “ultimate tribute” videos of attractions, documenting the history of the ride with blueprints, and then a full ride through. He has 3 so far of the different versions, and I suspect there’s another version in the making.

I’ll try linking:

http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=877

http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=884

http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=886
Thanks for the links! I just finished the first one ... soooooo loooooong. Wish either Mr. Smith or Vimeo had options for controlling the playback speed. I'd have done better at 1.75 or 2x.

First edit:
Section 2 is much shorter (phew!) but introduced the Leave a Legacy monoliths (grave markers). How much longer is their lease? Earliest they can be removed? The park entrance was so much prettier and welcoming without them!

2nd edit:
Anyone pause the video, from time to time, during random crowd scenes to see if you recognize anyone?

3rd edit:
Phew! I've finished all three video link and am, officially, OD'd on Spaceship Earth.

@Nickys, thanks again for posting the links!

Last edited by bwvBound; 10-13-2018 at 02:47 PM.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #66
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I hope that part of the change is to get rid of that scary moving walkway. Last time, I froze and even though the CM kept nicely saying "Don't worry-I've got you" and offered me her arm, I was terrified. Even when they slowed it to almost a stop, I was still afraid. And while we're hoping for changes, I'd love (I mean hear) "Tomorrow's Child" come back. I still hear it is part of the theme music in Future World, but let's bring it back to Spaceship Earth.
The moving walkway is what allows a car system that is in continual motion - ie, for Disney the Omnimover system. It's used with many attractions - HM, Buzz, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Nemo, People Mover. It is a "people eater" for getting a high volume of people thru attractions and I wouldn't imagine it would go away.