home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #11
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Why not book the two bedroom instead? Or if you want adjoining rooms the swan and dolphin have those too:-). But if you really want akv maybe a two bed is an option:-)
Old 09-24-2018, 12:49 AM   #12
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

We stayed at Kidani as a big family group...had: 2BR, 2BR, 1BR and studio. We were on same floor and 2 had rooms next to each other (the 2BR and the 1BR) then a few rooms away was the studio and my 2BR was a few doors down from them. We all had standard view. It wasn't bad but I strongly doubt you'd get 2 studios next to each other. Shouldn't be far though.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #13
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Amber View Post
This is for regular rooms, not DVC as the OP asked, but last June a CM told us we were guaranteed connecting rooms bc we have children on the reservation. This was for a trip with two adults and three kids (13, 9, 5) at Pop Century. I believe the WDW Prep School website/podcast gives the same info. If you have kids on your reservation you ought to be ok.
For DVC it doesn't matter. They will require you to put one adult on each room. I have been told that you have about a 99.9% chance of getting it due to the layout, but kids or no kids, it doesn't matter.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #14
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth33 View Post
I figured that the studios wouldn't be connecting (though that would be fun). Just to confirm, I am talking about rooms next to each other.

Grandma will be in the other room. She'll be helping to take care of the kiddos, so it would make life easier and more pleasant if we could get from one room to the other without a hike. It was doable when we were further apart this year (the CM at the front desk was able to move us to the same building at least) but it would be soooo nice to be right next door or even just a few rooms down.

We're looking into Kidani right now, which has about 10 adjoining standard studio pairs per the touring plans site. (There are actually 11, but I suspect one is actually a savannah room mislabeled as a standard view.)
The only concern with Kidani is how large it is. I personally would check in in person after arriving to see about locations.

Looking at the touringplans site for the map. I see on the north wing on floors 2, 3 & 5, there are 3 sets of side by side studios. Floor 4 says only 2.

The south trail shows none, but there are some close to each other. So you could be close or not at all.

I realize some are suggesting a 2 bedroom and I think it would be easier though the price would be more.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #15
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

In my experience (with hotels in general, as opposed to specifically DVC) the best thing to do if having connecting or nearby rooms is important to you is to keep calling. Call member services to add the request to the reservation. Then call back a day or two later to verify that the request was added. Then call the actual resort three or four days before you arrive (ask for the front desk) to reiterate your request, and again the day before you check in. You want whoever is doing the room assignments to be thinking about your request while doing it.
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #16
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

If there are only five of you why not a one bedroom in kimani as they sleep 5 and have two bathrooms
Old 09-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
Beth33
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I realize some are suggesting a 2 bedroom and I think it would be easier though the price would be more.
Yes, it would be easier and nicer too, and I'm trying to see if I can make that work. I'm pretty sure that all the week-long stretches at value 2BRs are gone for early May, though, and the standard view is probably out of our budget for this trip. I'm tweaking our budget and plans around to see what we can make work. Thanks for the suggestion. Next time we do a WDW trip we'll have to plan earlier so we have more options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
If there are only five of you why not a one bedroom in kimani as they sleep 5 and have two bathrooms
DH refuses to sleep on a sofa bed. I tell him that he's weak and soft Just kidding, I'm not super-excited by the idea either. Thanks for making sure I know about that option, though. There are so many different variations at the different resorts it can be hard to keep things straight!

Thank you all for your responses! It sounds like there's a decent chance of getting rooms nearby if we request them when we make the reservation, though there's also the potential to be pretty far apart. Pretty par for the course for WDW as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Beth33; 09-24-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: clarify length of trip and thoughts on the request
Beth33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #18
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth33 View Post
Yes, it would be easier and nicer too, and I'm trying to see if I can make that work. I'm pretty sure that all the week-long stretches at value 2BRs are gone for early May, though, and the standard view is probably out of our budget for this trip. I'm tweaking our budget and plans around to see what we can make work. Thanks for the suggestion. Next time we do a WDW trip we'll have to plan earlier so we have more options!

DH refuses to sleep on a sofa bed. I tell him that he's weak and soft Just kidding, I'm not super-excited by the idea either. Thanks for making sure I know about that option, though. There are so many different variations at the different resorts it can be hard to keep things straight!

Thank you all for your responses! It sounds like there's a decent chance of getting rooms nearby if we request them when we make the reservation, though there's also the potential to be pretty far apart. Pretty par for the course for WDW as far as I can tell.
Personally I wouldn't do a sleeper sofa for that long as well. We avoid it too.

Yes, the values are really hard to get and not a guarantee even if an owner. Looking at one of the major rental places a 2 bedroom would be about $700-900 or so for a week (6 nights) vs 2 studios.

My only other thought is if you are not 100% wanting AKL, you could consider OKW or SSR which you could afford a 2 bedroom more easily. Just another thought...
Old 09-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #19
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Not sure how wed you are to akv, but poly has connecting studios. Also the swan and dolphin have connecting rooms as well. We have connecting rooms there over Christmas
Old 09-24-2018, 05:19 PM   #20
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Personally I wouldn't do a sleeper sofa for that long as well. We avoid it too.

Yes, the values are really hard to get and not a guarantee even if an owner. Looking at one of the major rental places a 2 bedroom would be about $700-900 or so for a week (6 nights) vs 2 studios.

My only other thought is if you are not 100% wanting AKL, you could consider OKW or SSR which you could afford a 2 bedroom more easily. Just another thought...
Good idea of ssr or okw. Not sure how old your mother is as okw does not have elevators.