home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 12:43 AM   #91
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam.daelynn View Post
Is there a list of scammers? I read the sticky and checked the controller page; their name was there. However, anyone can access it so I thought they could choose someone's name on there. I received the contract and the paypal email address didn't match the email that's listed under his name/address, the dates were wrong on the contract. I also looked up the address and it appears to be a business that's vacant.

I'm going to follow my gut but I was curious if there are known scammer out there. I've never been scammed before so I'm a little bummed.

thanks
Donít be bummed because technically you werenít scammed if you didnít send them money.
Glad you went with your gut. My PayPal address is not the same as my email because my husband opened the PayPal years ago. Yet again I stopped taking PayPal once I was made aware here that it is against the rules and as far as the renter, it does not give you protection as if you were buying something on eBay. Everything else though would be a red flag especially a address coming back to a vacant business address!
There is no ongoing list. You did what everyone should, read the stickies were aware when things didnít add up and went with your gut.
If it was a poster here that you were dealing with, you may want to contact the admin or a moderator to make them aware.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:44 AM   #92
Tam.daelynn
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney54us View Post
Donít be bummed because technically you werenít scammed if you didnít send them money.
Glad you went with your gut. My PayPal address is not the same as my email because my husband opened the PayPal years ago. Yet again I stopped taking PayPal once I was made aware here that it is against the rules and as far as the renter, it does not give you protection as if you were buying something on eBay. Everything else though would be a red flag especially a address coming back to a vacant business address!
There is no ongoing list. You did what everyone should, read the stickies were aware when things didnít add up and went with your gut.
If it was a poster here that you were dealing with, you may want to contact the admin or a moderator to make them aware.
I guess I'm more bothered that someone attempted to scam me but I'm glad I followed my gut. I agree, the paypal address wasn't the immediate red flag but one of the things that made me think something wasn't right.

He also sent me an email but I don't remember putting my email on my post... I might have under another post though. He never contacted me through here but did say he had a username, which I couldn't find.

I didn't know that you weren't protected on paypal. I thought that if you received an invoice then you were protected.
I will message the moderator, thank you.
Tam.daelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:22 AM   #93
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

At minimum you should receive a response to your request before engaging with anyone via email or text. A simple “pm sent” let’s everyone know who is actively renting on MO
If they cannot do that, something is amiss.

This community is fairly small and at today’s prices, getting smaller in terms of large point owners.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #94
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam.daelynn View Post
I guess I'm more bothered that someone attempted to scam me but I'm glad I followed my gut. I agree, the paypal address wasn't the immediate red flag but one of the things that made me think something wasn't right.

He also sent me an email but I don't remember putting my email on my post... I might have under another post though. He never contacted me through here but did say he had a username, which I couldn't find.

I didn't know that you weren't protected on paypal. I thought that if you received an invoice then you were protected.
I will message the moderator, thank you.
If you do not find his/her username here then they are not on the board.

Any user here you can right click on their name and see what they posted here in the past to look at their activity on the board.

Scammers are out everywhere, they will find different way to scam some one take precautions and if your guts say no do not proceed.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #95
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

No scammer list on the boards.

Always go with your gut. Do some snooping, make the phone call, verify status on the boards. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.....

Although its rare, people do get scammed out of there money.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:13 AM   #96
Tam.daelynn
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

It's a confirmed scammer. The emails he sent were actually funny.... He sent me his "confirmation reservation" which was a screenshot with reservation number blacked out, no resort info, no dates.... I feel bad for ppl who actually fall for it. I will admit that I was excited at first but look a few hours to know something was up.

Thanks all!
Tam.daelynn is offline   Reply With Quote