home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #271
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayandry View Post
So we are at HHI right now. My wife and I just got back from Tide Me Over where we got some drinks. They game with a paper straw ina plastic cup. Seems counterproductive.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #272
grayandry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Yup. Makes perfect sense along with the plastic ware and the plastic salad bowls.
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #273
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
So we are at HHI right now. My wife and I just got back from Tide Me Over where we got some drinks. They came with a paper straw in a plastic cup. Seems counterproductive.
That's seriously stupid.

It's what makes it so ludicrous and mostly a marketing ploy IMO.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #274
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
So we are at HHI right now. My wife and I just got back from Tide Me Over where we got some drinks. They came with a paper straw in a plastic cup. Seems counterproductive.
What they need are those cardboard cups that have an invisible plastic coating which makes them nonrecyclable. (They've been in the news lately.)

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #275
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
If I remember right, the reason why there are no plastic straws at HHI right now is because of HHI's rule, not Disney's. HHI instituted a ban on plastic straws from now until October 1 because of the sea turtles, not a ban on plastics in general.

By the way, if anyone is headed to HHI this fall, the island is banning plastic grocery bags this fall, I forget the exact date that ban goes into effect.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #276
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
If I remember right, the reason why there are no plastic straws at HHI right now is because of HHI's rule, not Disney's. HHI instituted a ban on plastic straws from now until October 1 because of the sea turtles, not a ban on plastics in general.

By the way, if anyone is headed to HHI this fall, the island is banning plastic grocery bags this fall, I forget the exact date that ban goes into effect.
Actually, Hilton Head did not ban plastic straws. I just got back from 7 day trip. They are promoting a "Strawless Summer" and several restaurants are only providing straws by request. Totally voluntary by the restaurants. We did not come across any restaurant that didn't provide straws, even though they had the poster up promoting the Strawless Summer in their establishment.

Most of the trash I saw on Hilton Head was empty water bottles and beer/liquor cans/bottles.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #277
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdownthehatch View Post
Actually, Hilton Head did not ban plastic straws. I just got back from 7 day trip. They are promoting a "Strawless Summer" and several restaurants are only providing straws by request. Totally voluntary by the restaurants. We did not come across any restaurant that didn't provide straws, even though they had the poster up promoting the Strawless Summer in their establishment.
Thanks, I thought it was a ban. But I know I was told the plastic bags will be a ban (not until mid-late-fall though).
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #278
MagicAllAroundUs
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I used one last month and thought it was better than before.

With all the plastic waste I am not upset by this at all. I'd love plastic utensils to go away too, but no sure how they'd handle that. Our zoo is big on doing things like this and are even using compostable cups.
I agree that there needs to be an alternative to using plastic, but also feel like the paper straws are worthless. Nothing like having bits of paper in your mouth when you're drinking a smoothie. YUM.

Any guesses how long it'll be before they start offering the much greener and far more pleasant foldable portable stainless straws as an add-on option at all the quick service locations?

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is offline   Reply With Quote