home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Default Lunch vs. Dinner pricing

I was just doing my normal rolling through menus and food options for our trip that is close to a year away, just like everyone else here does...

I noticed something.

I was browsing the Whispering Canyon and noticed the during lunch, whatever those hour are, the All You Can Eat Skillet is $24. However, at dinner, the same thing is $33.

So, at least once we will be swapping things up as soon as we find out what lunch hours are.

Also looked over at Nine Dragons (I know, not a crowd favorite), and noticed a small price difference there too.

Now, many places such as Le Cellier had no difference in pricing. So I can see it is not universal.

Now, normally, I eat a larger lunch and eat lightly for dinner. But at Disney, I tend to swap that around. So it would be easy to swap things back to regular habit and walk off the larger meal at the parks.

Has anyone else taken advantage of this pricing strategy and have any advice on places that fit the behavior?
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
clhlaptop
Grand Villa

We do this quite often but we eat lunch around 2pmor 3pm. We find it is less crowded. Some of the restaurants have changed to the same menus at lunch and dinner. We usually check the menus online now before we book because they are changing all the time. We have also done the buffet at Crystal Palace that offers breakfast and lunch. We book for the very last breakfast sitting and they switch over to lunch while we are there so we get to have both. We like this because some of us like breakfast and some of like the lunch options.
clhlaptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
mikayla73
Grand Villa

We like to do this sometimes too. Sometimes the stuff we want is only available at lunch, it's a bonus sometimes it's cheaper.
mikayla73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Yep, all the time. We normally take an afternoon break so lunch is a good time to sit down and chill with cheaper prices anyway.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
DeniseKayC
Grand Villa

We started doing our TS reservations at lunch a few years ago. For us its just a better schedule. After touring a park all morning were good and hungry by 12:30-1:00, and like to have a nice sit down meal before heading back to the resort for a break.

Evening meals I find harder to plan. Depending on afternoon snacking were either starving by our reservation time or not hungry yet. It also means we have to worry more about getting wherever we need to be by our reservation time rather than enjoying our break and having the ability to be flexible with our evening plans.

Having some places be cheaper at lunch is just a bonus. Teppan Edo is a favorite of ours, and I believe lunch is the only meal any of the DVC or AP discounts apply.
DeniseKayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhlaptop View Post
We do this quite often but we eat lunch around 2pmor 3pm. We find it is less crowded. Some of the restaurants have changed to the same menus at lunch and dinner. We usually check the menus online now before we book because they are changing all the time. We have also done the buffet at Crystal Palace that offers breakfast and lunch. We book for the very last breakfast sitting and they switch over to lunch while we are there so we get to have both. We like this because some of us like breakfast and some of like the lunch options.
We do the same thing at CP
Old 08-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #7
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhlaptop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
We do the same thing at CP
This is (generally) what we do as well...except for Germany in Epcot. There are a few options that are available for dinner that are NOT available for lunch so when we eat there we do dinner! Weve saved a lot by doing a very late lunch vs. a dinner time meal! The best by far for our family is the Brown Derby for lunch- the boys eat the full size Cobb salad while the girls eat the appetizer size and were pretty much full for the entire day!!! Nice time to take a break from the chaos of the parks and we are nice and relaxed after some much needed AC.

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #8
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

We do this as often as we can. Better deals at lunch most of the time, not always tho.
Loved our Tusker House lunch last year. Got there right as breakfast was ending, so DS, the picky eater, lucked out and got waffles, eggs, and bacon, while we had more of the exotic offerings of lunch.
PP mentioned Brown Derby. hope to do that a lot sooner than later, and lunch seemed like a much better deal.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:16 AM   #9
aznosredna
Two Bedroom

When we used to use the Dining Plan, we always did the TS for dinner. When we stopped using the Dining Plan, we switched to TS for 'Lunch' at 2-3pm.

This worked great for us. We usually have a 3 hour time difference. Get up at about 10am and in the parks by 11ish. After Lunch, it is time for a nap. Then, back to the parks for the cooler evening.
aznosredna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:25 AM   #10
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
We do this as often as we can. Better deals at lunch most of the time, not always tho.
Loved our Tusker House lunch last year. Got there right as breakfast was ending, so DS, the picky eater, lucked out and got waffles, eggs, and bacon, while we had more of the exotic offerings of lunch.
PP mentioned Brown Derby. hope to do that a lot sooner than later, and lunch seemed like a much better deal.
You can try it in reverse at Tusker House too. A late breakfast is even cheaper and then it transitions to lunch food while you're there. I forget the specific timing, though.

I've heard good things about the Brown Derby lunch too - quality and price-wise. It's on our list for future trips.