home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > RENT / TRADE / TRANSFER BOARD > Rent / Trade / Transfer Board > Point Transfers Wanted
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Ankur
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 0
Default Hello - newbie question

Good evening everyone. My co-worker gave me enough points to book a three night stay at Kidani village starting this Wednesday. I am not a member of the Disney Club so pardon me for my basic question but can I (via my co-worker) buy points from people on this board and use those to upgrade the room? How do I know how many points I need? I don't want to create any hassle for my co-worker since she was generous to give me these points and this opportunity.

Your assistance is much appreciated. My family and I are so excited for this trip.
Ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado
 
cmrdgrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 12 Grimmauld Pl
Posts: 7,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankur View Post
Good evening everyone. My co-worker gave me enough points to book a three night stay at Kidani village starting this Wednesday. I am not a member of the Disney Club so pardon me for my basic question but can I (via my co-worker) buy points from people on this board and use those to upgrade the room? How do I know how many points I need? I don't want to create any hassle for my co-worker since she was generous to give me these points and this opportunity.

Your assistance is much appreciated. My family and I are so excited for this trip.
Only a DVC member can book a room at a DVC property. So it sounds like to me the only way you can book a room is through the person who gave you the points. Your coworker can give you all the info you need since they are the member. They can't give you the points and not be involved. The points belong to them and only they can control the points.

You can rent more points from a DVC member and add on to your stay, but you can't upgrade your room with a DVC member from the board.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
__________________
Carolyn


Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC



Last edited by cmrdgrs; 08-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado
 
cmrdgrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 12 Grimmauld Pl
Posts: 7,303
Default

Are you sure she (or he) gave you points and not a confirmed reservation? Since you stated the trip starts Wednesday.
__________________
Carolyn


Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC


cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Ankur
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Are you sure she (or he) gave you points and not a confirmed reservation? Since you stated the trip starts Wednesday.
Thank you both for your responses. My coworker called and made the reservation for me. I believe my coworker does not have any more points. I am assuming the only way I can upgrade the reservation is to have her rent/buy points from the disney vacation club network, right? I've read a few posts and it seems like the going rate is $12/point but I'm not sure what it's going to take to upgrade my three nights.
Ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado
 
cmrdgrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 12 Grimmauld Pl
Posts: 7,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankur View Post
Thank you both for your responses. My coworker called and made the reservation for me. I believe my coworker does not have any more points. I am assuming the only way I can upgrade the reservation is to have her rent/buy points from the disney vacation club network, right? I've read a few posts and it seems like the going rate is $12/point but I'm not sure what it's going to take to upgrade my three nights.
You can't purchase more points from DVC. You can add to the nights by renting from someone (based on space available). Yes, I would say the average price to rent per point is $12 (+3% paypal fees). There are trip calculators that can tell you how many points you need like this ONE

If you want to try and extend your trip you might be able to find availability, but you are within the 31 day booking window and you would have to pay for the reservation upfront prior to anyone booking it for you because of the penalties that DVC puts on members that cancel within 31 days of check-in.

If you are OK with paying up front, someone would probably book the room for you.
__________________
Carolyn


Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC


cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado
 
cmrdgrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 12 Grimmauld Pl
Posts: 7,303
Default

I guess I am just trying to understand what you are looking to accomplish... is the room too small for your party? or do you just want a bigger room? or do you want to stay longer?

If I had some specifics I could help you better.
__________________
Carolyn


Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC


cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Ankur
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I guess I am just trying to understand what you are looking to accomplish... is the room too small for your party? or do you just want a bigger room? or do you want to stay longer?

If I had some specifics I could help you better.
Sorry for the lack of information. I have a studio style but need a one bedroom. My 18m daughter sleeps at 8:00pm and she won't sleep is she sees us. This whole adventure has been a whirlwind - I was offered the room just weeks ago and have never stayed at a Disney property
Ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado
 
cmrdgrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 12 Grimmauld Pl
Posts: 7,303
Default

Ankur -- there really is no way to "upgrade" the room. Only the DVC member can book you in a 1 bdrm instead of the studio. I would check the point calendar link and see how many points the 1 bdrm is vs the Studio and maybe you can go back to the DVC Owner and see if they can book a 1 bdrm and then you could add on days with a rental. That is my thought. But, I don't know what availability is right now.

What resort are you at? What are your current dates of travel?
__________________
Carolyn


Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC


cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado
 
cmrdgrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 12 Grimmauld Pl
Posts: 7,303
Default

SSR (Saratoga Springs Resort) has availability in a 1 bdrm from Wed on -- except -- on Saturday night.

Wed/Thurs = 31 points (each night)
Fri/Sat = 36 points (each night) but, Sat sold out
Mon - Thurs of next week = 24 points (each night)

I don't know if that helps, but Saratoga will be your best resort for availability.
__________________
Carolyn


Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC


cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Ankur
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Ankur -- there really is no way to "upgrade" the room. Only the DVC member can book you in a 1 bdrm instead of the studio. I would check the point calendar link and see how many points the 1 bdrm is vs the Studio and maybe you can go back to the DVC Owner and see if they can book a 1 bdrm and then you could add on days with a rental. That is my thought. But, I don't know what availability is right now.

What resort are you at? What are your current dates of travel?
Kidani Village
8/28-8/31

Thank you very much for your help. I honestly do not know how this is all works.
Ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software