home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #21
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post

As I see it, they really viewed being on the gondola line as akin to being on the monorail line. For reasons of travel time, view, etc...I'm not sure others will see it the same way.
The monorail connects several deluxe resorts to the most popular park. The gondola connects values, a moderate, and RR to HS, EPCOT and each other. In real estate, you donít want the most expensive house in a neighborhood. And that is what the gondola creates, a neighborhood.

Disney thought that SWGE would sell RR. As a fan of the original movies, I was unimpressed with it. There was very little to see or do. I got bored and left.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #22
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
IMO with RR they basically put lipstick on a pig and expected everyone not to notice. For one, it is not a deluxe location hence the old moderate (CBR) being there. Another thing is the high point cost as if it's a deluxe location like Poly....and it aint. Then add in the resale restrictions and I would not pay even $90pp for this. And I also want to point out that while the rooms are cute (we toured the models) they aren't high end. They cheaped out with the furnishings much like at BLT so it will all be dinged up in a couple years. I also don't think that gondola disaster helped. Anyone already leery of it likely totally crossed it off after that. The sales at RR will be a slow burn, IMO.
So how are AKL and OKW and SSR better than this location? I'm not sure I agree with the lipstick on a pig analogy but I haven't bothered to look at the rooms.

Also as one anxious of heights and gondolas I don't consider it a disaster what happened.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #23
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
The only restriction to Legacy 14 resales is the ability to trade into RR and resorts thereafter, correct? I donít find those restrictions enough not to purchase resale.
The last restriction limiting L14 resales to only L14 was just the last in a series of restrictions. Personally, the one limiting blue cards was way more serious and they just raised the direct points to 100 to overcome it.

The last time I went to a resale site, there was a long section describing all the restrictions on resale. The complexity and length of it was daunting. This last restriction may have been the straw that broke the camelís back for potential resale owners.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #24
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
So how are AKL and OKW and SSR better than this location? I'm not sure I agree with the lipstick on a pig analogy but I haven't bothered to look at the rooms.

Also as one anxious of heights and gondolas I don't consider it a disaster what happened.
OKW and SSR have DS. AKV has animals and more ambiance and theming. In close proximity, all RR has is CBR. The RR theming is very low key.

I agree that the gondola incident was not a disaster in terms of injury or death. However, it was a PR disaster.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #25
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
The monorail connects several deluxe resorts to the most popular park. The gondola connects values, a moderate, and RR to HS, EPCOT and each other. In real estate, you donít want the most expensive house in a neighborhood. And that is what the gondola creates, a neighborhood.
Interesting perspective. I can see your point. As a neighborhood goes, however, The Gondola loop doesn't measure up to either of the other two for a lot of reasons.

Quote:
The last time I went to a resale site, there was a long section describing all the restrictions on resale. The complexity and length of it was daunting. This last restriction may have been the straw that broke the camelís back for potential resale owners.
Especially when you are trying to sell resorts with half the shelf-life for the same or higher prices!
Old 10-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #26
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Just read on another fan site guides are confirming. Prices go up October 31.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #27
twingirls
Two Bedroom

Quote:
OKW and SSR have DS. AKV has animals and more ambiance and theming. In close proximity, all RR has is CBR. The RR theming is very low key.

I agree that the gondola incident was not a disaster in terms of injury or death. However, it was a PR disaster.
Totally agree with the gondola statement. PR disaster... I would not have ridden them (I am afraid of heights) but my family all wanted to try them. After seeing what happened none of them want to try them. We own at BWV and pretty much stay there so we don't have to ride them.
twingirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #28
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Just read on another fan site guides are confirming. Prices go up October 31.
Things are not going well. Raising prices is seen by Disney as a cure all.

Why am I not surprised by this ridiculous increase? History, I guess.

My white hope is that this will spur resales. I wouldnít buy direct at these prices, I would buy resale. Actually, I WILL buy more resale if I can unload a contract we donít want.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #29
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
The monorail connects several deluxe resorts to the most popular park. The gondola connects values, a moderate, and RR to HS, EPCOT and each other. In real estate, you don’t want the most expensive house in a neighborhood. And that is what the gondola creates, a neighborhood.

Disney thought that SWGE would sell RR. As a fan of the original movies, I was unimpressed with it. There was very little to see or do. I got bored and left.
Yes, connecting all those resorts together is not a good thing. It drags value down at the most expensive property which is RR. You want the smallest house in the fancy neighborhood not the most expensive house.
SSR has a spa and sits on a golf course and walkable to DS.
OKW is an entire resort that borders a golf course, has lowest point chart and largest rooms, not to mention a loyal member following.
AKV is a unique destination in itself and what Disney does best.
RR has none of that. At triple the asking price at opening. A pull down bed and shiny chandeliers can’t hold a candle to L14. I can stay at Pop and ride the Gondola or El Tempo or CBR etc.

SSR, OKW and AKV are stand alone resorts, offering amenities and transportation that is not shared with a huge mod and 2 larger Values.
RR was built to carry the burden of improvement costs and maintenance of the Gondola system.
I knew with the uptick in ROFR that direct prices will go up. They need us to own RR to pay those expensive Maintenance fees. They can’t shift money from 1 DVC to another so they will do everything they can to sell RR.
The guide exodus last year was another indication of DVC direction.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #30
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

This.

Plus a very quick jaunt to AK on top of the wonderful theme, dining and animals....shoot, and pools at AKV.

SSR and OKW has DS which is now a place we like to be. And OKW is a boat rie there which isn't always ideal. BUT they have the largest and cheapest rooms.

RR has average rooms (size and furnishings) that are some of the highest point cost and it isn't even walking to anything great. The monorail resorts at least can see MK all along the monorail ride and one can monorail crawl to so so much. Just check out potential gondola crawl I saw mentioned on FB...compare that to a monorail crawl and decide which is better. Yet point cost and buy in is similar for RR and monorail resorts. It just doesn't measure up, IMO. (Oh, and can you imagine doing a gondola crawl and then getting stuck for 1.5 hours on one with those little pee cups).

And as far as disaster...yep, I meant PR wise. Not good optics!

Pub crawl video below...I am still watching but so far I noticed A) the gondolas were stopped as they approached after Rose and Crown and B) Rose and Crown and Tune In lounge are their 1st 2 stops which are both in parks and the monorail can also hit all the park lounges so those can't count for comparison sake. And, C), did she really steal someone's pin...on video!?!?! D) Spyglass at CBR was a stop...pool bar, no? Okay, but not what you get on the monorail crawl. And here's THE best...E) They could not go on to Pop/AoA because the gonolas had been down 2 hours and were still down. WOW!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GaXcuKsny8

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI / Oct 30- Nov 2 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Nov 2, 2020 RCCL Mariner OTS & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection

Last edited by Lamima; 10-24-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote