home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > "Mick"-boxing (a.k.a. The Exercise Forum)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
mikemax32
Two Bedroom

Default Dopey 2020

Is anyone else training for or planning on completing Dopey 2020?
Jen Max and I are signed up and have been training together. It's our 15th anniversary gift to ourselves!! I have a couple curiosity questions for anyone who has completed one in the past:
1. Which days would you definitely not go to the parks? We're thinking of avoiding them after the 1/2 and full.
2. Tidbits of advice that a non-Disney runner wouldn't anticipate? Jen already bought mylar throw away "blankets" and $1 store gloves to keep us warm while we wait in the corral. We'll also bring ponchos just in case
3. Best places to eat dinner before 1/2 & full - we love pasta and pizza before long races
4. Any other advice you're willing to share is greatly appreciated

M.O.D. # 95 ~ AKA The Road from CT to WDW
2013 MO "Classic" Mountain FFL Champion
mikemax32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Certainly one of the days to avoid is *during* the full (but you don't have to worry about that ). We did the half some years ago and went to the parks during the full where Disney do a poor job of controlling the confluence of runners and park goers.

But, yeah, expect to be herded through corrals to get to the race, expect to stand around a long time. Expect many parts of the race to be overcrowded due to overselling. Expect to pay a good bit more than the race is actually worth.

Can't advise on places to eat as we don't do much in the way of carbs and have found carb loading pretty much irrelevant to race performance.

In the end, I hope you have a better experience with Disney races than we have.

Cheers.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemax32 View Post
Is anyone else training for or planning on completing Dopey 2020?
Jen Max and I are signed up and have been training together. It's our 15th anniversary gift to ourselves!! I have a couple curiosity questions for anyone who has completed one in the past:
1. Which days would you definitely not go to the parks? We're thinking of avoiding them after the 1/2 and full.
2. Tidbits of advice that a non-Disney runner wouldn't anticipate? Jen already bought mylar throw away "blankets" and $1 store gloves to keep us warm while we wait in the corral. We'll also bring ponchos just in case
3. Best places to eat dinner before 1/2 & full - we love pasta and pizza before long races
4. Any other advice you're willing to share is greatly appreciated
Congratulations and good luck! DH did the Dopey a few years ago. I can't think of any tidbits of advice, but maybe I'll have some after DH gets home. As far as food, he brought stuff (macaroni and cheese and bagels) from home and ate in our villa the day of the 1/2, before the full marathon. One thing I remember is that after the full marathon, the next day, do not eat upstairs in any restaurant. We went to MK the Monday after he finished the entire Dopey, and I had this "great" idea to eat lunch upstairs in CHH. He says that coming down those stairs afterwards was probably the most painful part! Except for that Monday, and the Thursday before everything started, I'm not sure DH went to the parks at all. However, he was 65, so he was being a little more cautious.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
mikemax32
Two Bedroom

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the insight and well wishes. we'll be sure to avoid eating upstairs at Columbia Harbor House, although, that's one of our favorite spots to eat at MK.

We'll have a great time no matter what because it's WDW and it's our 15th anniversary.

M.O.D. # 95 ~ AKA The Road from CT to WDW
2013 MO "Classic" Mountain FFL Champion
mikemax32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Best of luck, and Happy Anniversary!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote