home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #1
ResalesDVC
TRUSTED BOARD SPONSOR!!

Default How & Why To Do A Split Stay

As a Disney Vacation Club (DVC) member, you have plenty of options in planning your various visits. One of the best uses of DVC scheduling, however, is a strategy you might not have considered before. Read on for a series of tips and things to keep in mind when booking a split stay vacation at Walt Disney World: https://www.resalesdvc.com/dvc-split-stay-tips-tricks/

Have you done a split stay? Would you do it again?
Kristen Tutas, Lic. Sales Associate
Rachel Thompson, Lic. Broker Associate
Meet Our Team

ResalesDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I love split stays. I like to do a couple of days at a MK resort and follow up with a few days at an Epcot resort. Naturally I will do MK while staying there and Epcot and DHS while staying over there. AK is always a wild card.

I especially like to do Land-Sea-Land vacations in that manner. It's like taking three separate vacations!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Turf and Surf and Turf
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
12/2018 BLT-BCV Another New Year*** 3/2019 AoA The Smithereens Trip***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib***12/2019 VGC

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC - all the good ones
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
DeniseKayC
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResalesDVC View Post
Have you done a split stay? Would you do it again?
I've done a split stay, and would not willingly do it again. We like to take afternoon breaks to hang out in the room and/or get some pool time. That becomes difficult when you can be homeless the day of your split until late afternoon.

I'm also the "move in" type, where I like to unpack our suitcases and get clothes, etc. put away in drawers and closets. Having to re-pack and unpack again mid-vacation is just torture to me.
DeniseKayC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

We do split stays more often than not. The main reason being we add on a day or two at the beginning or end and our home (or preferred) resort is not available anymore. I also enjoy split stays so we can try different resorts.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
AnnaS
Grand Villa

I don't mind split stays when we add a cruise, Vero or HH stay to our WDW vacation.

We have also done a split stay here and there at WDW - one night if we drive and arrive early.

There has to be a special reason to book a split stay at WDW. I will not intentionally book one.
May 2019 - OKW

Last edited by AnnaS; 01-23-2018 at 04:26 AM.
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
SUSIEQ2
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseKayC View Post
I've done a split stay, and would not willingly do it again. We like to take afternoon breaks to hang out in the room and/or get some pool time. That becomes difficult when you can be homeless the day of your split until late afternoon.

I'm also the "move in" type, where I like to unpack our suitcases and get clothes, etc. put away in drawers and closets. Having to re-pack and unpack again mid-vacation is just torture to me.
Exactly the way we feel.
SUSIEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:19 PM   #7
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

We do them often. At first I liked them because it feels like two (or three) different vacations as I would plan parks and dining based on which resort we were at those days. For example, when we did BWV and then AKV, I made FP for Epcot and HS while at BW and then AK while at AKV. Can make ADRs for at that resort or those parks nearby. And busing woes are kept at bay a tad....since walking to two parks from BW and then quick easy bus ride to AK from AKV.

And doing split stays makes booking in seven month window more do-able. Easier to grab a stay at a non-home resort that is tough to book when just grabbing 2-4 nights.

But now I try to avoid and here is why...
1) I am over the whole living out of suitcases or packing and unpacking every few days
2) hate being roomless for @4 hours. Very rarely is our second (or third) resort room ready early. Like 1 out of 8 times. Last trip, couple weeks ago, our second resort room was ready around 1 (at Poly). I was floored by that (and we got the room ready text which we do not get half the time). Most times it is 3-4:30pm range when our new room is ready.
3) we usually have car and lug everything out to car, drive over to new resort (doing late breakfast or early lunch somewhere along the way, hoping maybe we will be lucky to get room ready text during). If no text (typically there isnt) we park and head off to do something. Then later we have to unload car. This gets to be tiring.
4) if we have any of our kids with us, we have to set up pull out bed all over again

So after last two trips being triple splits, the next two are NO split.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV

Last edited by Lamima; 01-22-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

I do split stays all the time and enjoy them. Does indeed feel like separate vacations in one.

However, I do almost always travel solo and I live out of my suitcase, two key points.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Yeah, split stays are much easier for a single person or a couple, with no kids, who travel light and are low maintenance.

I do suggest that instead of sending your bags to your second resort through Disney Bell services, that you bring them over yourself, by either cab or car. Check in at the front desk and let them know you are waiting for a room. Then go to the park or the pool for a few hours.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Turf and Surf and Turf
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
12/2018 BLT-BCV Another New Year*** 3/2019 AoA The Smithereens Trip***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib***12/2019 VGC

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC - all the good ones
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

We have done numerous split stays as a family of 4, but we live out of the suitcase. We don’t mind them, but prefer only one move during our trips (but we usually stay 5-6 nights). Bell services does make it easy, but you do need to stay busy the afternoon of the move.

Boundin’s suggestion is a good one...try to get to your new resort to check-in and let them know you are awaiting your room. If you take your luggage with you and leave it at the new resort’s bell services, then you won’t have to wait for luggage to be delivered from the other resort.....sometimes that transfer can take a while.

ME DH DS20 DD17
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote