home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-22-2020, 04:36 AM   #61
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Good stuff.....

Congrats Goldi!
Old 09-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #62
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
First, congratulations Goldi!

As far as MFs, I have come to view them this way. Sure, I would like MFs to be as low as possible. But, we have seen all resorts rise over time. The difference (see below) varies per resort, but let's say MFs are $1 more at the RR vs. most other resorts. For me, I ask myself (per 100 points) is this resort worth the additional $100 more per year in MFs? If you believe so, then don't stress over the $8.31 per point MF at the RR.

Resort 2020 Annual Dues Growth 2019 to 2020 Inception to Date CAGR*

Animal Kingdom $7.67 3.1% 3.9%
Aulani** $8.33 6.0% 4.2%
Bay Lake Tower $6.58 2.8% 5.4%
Beach Club $7.06 1.8% 3.6%
Boardwalk $7.37 2.7% 2.9%
Boulder Ridge $7.78 6.3% 4.3%
Copper Creek $7.45 0.3% 0.2%
Grand Californian $6.60 5.3% 5.0%
Grand Floridian $6.56 2.8% 2.8%
Hilton Head $9.10 6.3% 7.0%
Old Key West $7.84 8.4% 4.1%
Polynesian $6.79 0.4% 2.5%
Saratoga Springs $6.77 5.6% 3.6%
Riviera Resort $8.31 0.0% 0.0%
Vero Beach*** $10.13 6.9% 4.5%
Oh I agree that the extra $1-200 per 100 points is nothing if it is where you want to stay. As has always been the advice, if one doesn't care where they are staying, go for the resort with the lowest combination of buy-in and dues for the amount of points you need. Granted, you also have to look at how many points you need to use for your accommodation of choice. That's where the (IMO) terrible points charts for RR come in as well to drive cost per night up. When you look at it that way it is more than $1-200 extra per year since you may need more points. And if you use your more expensive RR points to stay elsewhere you're at a losing proposition before you even begin. If you don't mind this aspect, then by all means RR is a beautiful resort and if you love it you love it. I think it is important to view it as more than simply an extra $1-200/year though.

There is one huge problem with your assumption when it comes to MFs at RR though... the Skyliner. Transportation costs are a higher % of MFs at RR than any other WDW DVC resort. Any maintenance or fixing done on the Skyliner is partially paid for by DVC RR owners. As that gondola system ages, so will costs to maintain. Maybe it will not increase much for a few years, maybe it won't ever. I'm not a gondola expert. I would guess, however, based on the already high transportation MFs on RR that it is not cheap to maintain. It is due to this that RR MFs will be the highest on property by far for the foreseeable future by my estimation.

Add in the resale restriction that is rapidly decreasing the resale prices, and well... everyone knows my opinion on that part already. I would only buy RR if you intend to keep it for the entire 50 years or are banking on Disney suddenly changing the restriction.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #63
PrincessNewsie
Studio

Would you purchase as 200 points, two 100 point contracts, four 50 points...

I donít plan to resell, but I know that breaking it up with mean I lose less $ if I must sell.

Mom of 4. Gluten-free.
PrincessNewsie is offline   Reply With Quote