home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loro View Post
Be careful. My father developed a bleeding ulcer doing just that.
One one pill a day? I would think that that dose is too low for that.

My niece (all of 16) developed an ulcer from this. She's a swimmer and national champion lifeguard competition athlete, so works out hard. She was taking anti-inflammatories because of this and, yup, developed an ulcer that now has dietary restrictions. Took more than a year to root cause. Now she's on the mend and will be able to chocolate and steak again soon

Cheers.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
hilaw
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post

My niece (all of 16) developed an ulcer from this. She's a swimmer and national champion lifeguard competition athlete, so works out hard. She was taking anti-inflammatories because of this and, yup, developed an ulcer that now has dietary restrictions. Took more than a year to root cause. Now she's on the mend and will be able to chocolate and steak again soon

Cheers.

Not much chocolate and steak again, if she is still an athlete, though.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaw View Post
Not much chocolate and steak again, if she is still an athlete, though.
No problem with steak. And chocolate in moderation. She's still young enough to have a very fast metabolism. Wait until she hits 30

Cheers.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #14
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:

Cheers.
I don't remember the exact dosage. Now all he can take daily is the coated baby aspirin as recommended by doctor. He used to take the additional anti-inflammatory like you mentioned, which is why I said something. He is fine now though, but just has to be careful with the anti-inflammatories. Gave us all a pretty big scare though when he needed to rush to the ER (and 2-3 days hospital stay) due to low blood pressure and severe pain.

Everyone is different and all that, but felt I should at least say something.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loro View Post
I don't remember the exact dosage. Now all he can take daily is the coated baby aspirin as recommended by doctor. He used to take the additional anti-inflammatory like you mentioned, which is why I said something. He is fine now though, but just has to be careful with the anti-inflammatories. Gave us all a pretty big scare though when he needed to rush to the ER (and 2-3 days hospital stay) due to low blood pressure and severe pain.

Everyone is different and all that, but felt I should at least say something.
Thanks. I will definitely keep an eye on this going forward, especially now that I'm aware from direct experience with my niece, and your comments.

Cheers.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #16
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I don't take ibuprofen regularly but it's what I take when my back hurts a lot and standing around on concrete aggravates it at Disney. I usually pack a few doses a day for our trips. I know it doesn't seem to mess with my normal body temp when I take it (still in the 97s almost always and at most low 98) and with a lower than average body temp 100 is a high fever for me. I find temp checks stupid honestly. My aunt's care facility did them and it still went through. The temp didn't appear for the worker until part way through the shift. Too late then anyway. I don't fight it, but I don't feel it necessary. Glad our school doesn't require it.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #17
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

Quote:
I take a generic Ibuprofen daily as it's good to have a little anti-inflammatory in the system, along with my baby aspirin for heart.

Cheers.
Talk to your doctor about this. Both ibuprofen and aspirin reduce the clotting action of blood platelets. Using both could lead to bleeding problems.

Also, the latest recommendation is to take daily aspirin only if you have had a heart attack, have had a stroke or are at high risk for a heart attack.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #18
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog4 View Post
Talk to your doctor about this. Both ibuprofen and aspirin reduce the clotting action of blood platelets. Using both could lead to bleeding problems.

Also, the latest recommendation is to take daily aspirin only if you have had a heart attack, have had a stroke or are at high risk for a heart attack.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I hadn't looked at the info in a while and, of course, this stuff changes. No coronary risk, so I may be able to remove that.

The Mayo Clinic mimics what you said. Now what do I do with a lifetime supply of 81 mg aspirin?

As for the ibuprofen, I've been doing so many house projects that involve contortions, heaving lifting and extended work that I may just want the anti-inflammatory for now

Cheers.