home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 04:33 AM   #181
Leftcoaster
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysimba View Post
Except they are now just called SDS sheets. OSHA thought it was much too hard for us to remember MSDS, so they shortened it to SDS.
I was just going to post this. Of course, it's going to take years to get people used to the name as most of my customers still refer to it as MSDS.

"Being a princess means so much more than wearing a tiara and a pretty dress" - Cinderellabration
Leftcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #182
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysimba View Post
Except they are now just called SDS sheets. OSHA thought it was much too hard for us to remember MSDS, so they shortened it to SDS.
Maybe they should shorten it to S. I think everyone can remember that, but maybe not what it stands for. ("Which S?")

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #183
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmer55 View Post
I use it as a smoking area, as do many patrons of Mizner's, and you are correct, the view is beautiful. It is the nicest smoking area on site. With a closed door so as not to bother anybody.

It is a great location with a fantastic view.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #184
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardwalkNJ View Post
They were there when I looked last week. Nobody ever uses it as a smoking location and it has a lovely view

There you go.....proof! Thanks for the timely update!

It gets used, but because of its stealthy location and lack of obvious signage, guests are not aware of it.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #185
bakerworld
Grand Villa

The only place I've noticed smokers is the balconies around our room but as I know our adult children do the same I don't say anything except to ask DH to close the door when the drift gets too bad. Our last visit the people on the right were chain smokers - they even argued about their chain smoking and how each other was 'hogging' the balcony.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #186
Deb & Bill
Two Bedroom

We saw vapers in Epcot on Thursday evening and not in the smoking areas.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #187
Deb & Bill
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseKayC View Post
Just to take this thread a little more to the scientific side...my husband was unfortunately a cigarette smoker for many years (although always very good about finding smoking areas in the parks and never smoking in our hotel rooms). Recently he switched to using an e-cigarette and stopped smoking regular cigarettes.

I was interested in the differences between secondhand smoke vs secondhand vapor and found the below article.

In short, regular cigarettes discharge 10 times more nicotine into the air than an e-cigarette does. Regular cigarettes also release 7 times more particulate matter and e-cigarettes don't cause an increase to carbon monoxide levels at all while regular cigarettes release CO when smoked.

Anyway, I found it interesting to know the magnitude of difference between the two. It was larger than I anticipated, especially regarding the release of nicotine into the air which I would have expected to be more similar.

Note, I'm not saying e-cigarette users should be able to use them anywhere, but I do think it helps to have an awareness that the level of "badness" is magnitudes of difference both for the user as well as family members they may be around.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4565991/
"AS received research funds and travel expenses from Chic Group Ltd., manufacturer of electronic cigarettes in Poland. "
Old 10-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #188
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
The only place I've noticed smokers is the balconies around our room but as I know our adult children do the same I don't say anything except to ask DH to close the door when the drift gets too bad. Our last visit the people on the right were chain smokers - they even argued about their chain smoking and how each other was 'hogging' the balcony.

I donít bother calling the front desk when I personally see these infractions. I GO to the front desk.
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #189
vwlmom
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
The balcony is located on the second floor, facing towards the DVC building and the pool, not on the back of the building.

Easy way to check is to stop by. If the ashtrays are still there, then smoking is still allowed.
I wonder if this is the one that's referred to as the Royal Palm smoking area on the map and it was still there the first week in September.
vwlmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #190
Disneynut922
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Smoking/ignorance

I had an idiot who every morning around 7am would pull his chair out from his room and smoke while watching a tv show on his phone, extra loud. went and talked to management, absolutely nothing done.
Disneynut922 is offline   Reply With Quote