home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 11:35 PM   #1
MMC1
Grand Villa

Default Bob Iger on Jimmy Kimmel tonight

Mr. Bob Iger will be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight to discuss his new book.
A Ride of A Lifetime
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Boundin'
Grand Villa

No doubt Iger has been great for the SHs. Not so sure he has been great for CMs or park-goers. I wish he was a bit more like Eisner in the artistic visionary sense.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
SuzanneSLO
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
No doubt Iger has been great for the SHs. Not so sure he has been great for CMs or park-goers. I wish he was a bit more like Eisner in the artistic visionary sense.
I think Eisner in his early period and Igor have a lot of similarities.

Both came out of the studio side of the business, ‘though Eisner came from films and Igor came from TV (particularly sports).

Both saw the importance of Animation to the Disney company, ‘though Eisner was able to revitalize it internally for a while and Igor recognized that an acquisition of characters and talent was needed.

Both saw the importance of defending the company’s assets by making it larger through acquisitions, ‘though Eisner’s acquisition of ABC/Cap Cities has obviously been dwarfed by Iger’s acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel, Lucas Films and Fox.
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Both saw the importance of Animation to the Disney company, ‘though Eisner was able to revitalize it internally for a while and Igor recognized that an acquisition of characters and talent was needed.
This struck me in Iger's memoir, if I'm remembering correctly. One of the reasons he was so gung-ho on getting Pixar into the fold was because he had zero confidence Disney Animation - in the state it was in during Eisner's last years - could produce a credible movie. About that time was the period of such "notable entries" greenlit under Eisner as Chicken Little, Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons . . .

Kind of ironic since Eisner got us the Disney renaissance in the first place!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Eisner was good at that. But was Eisner good for CMs or park-goers on the financial side of things? He held the reins during the slash and burn of park openings, park entertainment post 9-11. Ticket prices have gone up above inflation for decades. Deluxes were always out of our price range for long trips and we could never see the point in them for short, park-focused trips. DVC was my pathway to Deluxe Disney.

It was interesting watching the Imagineering documentary on Epcot's opening. The Imagineers came to dread December as Disney kept laying them off just before Christmas and was planning on shuttering the whole division. Now, that was pre-Eisner, but Iger is not unique with regard to corporate behavior.

Indeed, some would say Walt wasn't that great, either.

I don't defend treating employees poorly, but I don't see Iger as the symbol of it. He's not as good as some and better than others, as most CEOs are.

Dirk

Old 12-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Eisner was good at that. But was Eisner good for CMs or park-goers on the financial side of things? He held the reins during the slash and burn of park openings, park entertainment post 9-11. Ticket prices have gone up above inflation for decades. Deluxes were always out of our price range for long trips and we could never see the point in them for short, park-focused trips. DVC was my pathway to Deluxe Disney.

It was interesting watching the Imagineering documentary on Epcot's opening. The Imagineers came to dread December as Disney kept laying them off just before Christmas and was planning on shuttering the whole division. Now, that was pre-Eisner, but Iger is not unique with regard to corporate behavior.

Indeed, some would say Walt wasn't that great, either.

I don't defend treating employees poorly, but I don't see Iger as the symbol of it. He's not as good as some and better than others, as most CEOs are.

Dirk
I can't blame Eisner for what happened post 9-11. It was a difficult time.

When I look at Eisner's era for the parks, especially US parks, it was a net positive in a big way. IMO, Iger has been a net negative. You can't even compare.

But my enduring image of Igor's rein (I like that Igor spelling), will be IT people training their foreign replacements and being forced to sign NDAs to get a bit of severance. Wrong on so many different levels.

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Old 12-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
I can't blame Eisner for what happened post 9-11. It was a difficult time.
Very true. My point was that Eisner would do what he needed to save the bottom line. Unfortunately for me, 2003 was when we started doing Disney regularly so high discounts and low crowds were my norm, and I saw the later hours down the road as expansions rather then returning to what was.

Quote:
When I look at Eisner's era for the parks, especially US parks, it was a net positive in a big way. IMO, Iger has been a net negative. You can't even compare

I really agree here. Iger essentially said the parks were mature and they wouldn't be spending much. Then Harry Potter. They weren't prepared for what they would need to be doing.

Still, I wouldn't expect Iger to expand parks (number of them) in US like Eisner did, but they needed continual development that didn't happen. Now it's a construction zone mess, and I"m not convinced Iger can see wha the parks can truly be, partly because of his television background. He came up in NY, while Eisner came up in Hollywood, where thinking bigger is probably easier.

Quote:
But my enduring image of Igor's rein (I like that Igor spelling), will be IT people training their foreign replacements and being forced to sign NDAs to get a bit of severance. Wrong on so many different levels.
Most definitely. Corporate Disney is cold and cruel. Eisner didn't necessarily know how to run corporate (Frank Well's job) so he may have lucked out in not knowing how to be ruthless in that regard. This is Iger's ball of wax - which he really plays down in his book.

Dirk

Old 12-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
When I look at Eisner's era for the parks, especially US parks, it was a net positive in a big way. IMO, Iger has been a net negative. You can't even compare.
Was it though? DCA was an absolute bust. DMGMS wasn't much better. Only DAK lived up to the standards of a Disney park, and I feel that was more because of Joe Rohde than anything Eisner did. EuroDisney and HKDL were jokes as well. All of the improvement and expansion of the parks came under Iger, not Eisner. Sure, Eisner increased the square footage. But he did it on the cheap with no regard for guests or Disney standards. Iger turned that square footage into Disney Parks.

Let's also not forget who was responsible for this:

That's surely not a positive!

Last edited by PSULion22; 12-03-2019 at 04:03 PM.
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
Was it though? DCA was an absolute bust. DMGMS wasn't much better. Only DAK lived up to the standards of a Disney park, and I feel that was more because of Joe Rohde than anything Eisner did. EuroDisney and HKDL were jokes as well. All of the improvement and expansion of the parks came under Iger, not Eisner. Sure, Eisner increased the square footage. But he did it on the cheap with no regard for guests or Disney standards. Iger turned that square footage into Disney Parks.

Let's also not forget who was responsible for this:

That's surely not a positive!
I specifically said US Parks. And MGM was certainly not a bust. Eisner had ideas and actually had creative input. Anyone who was given rein to create under a CEO, that CEO gets the credit. Where is Iger's Joe Rohde? Eisner created parks. Iger can barely take credit for a ride or two in a couple of unwanted new lands. And Iger dismantled some of Disney's most beloved attractions.

As for that atrocious castle, well do you want me start naming gaffs during the Iger regime. We'd be here a while. At least that castle was temporary.

Strictly for parks, which is what I care about. I'll take Eisner. JMO of course

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Old 12-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #10
chunter
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Only DAK lived up to the standards of a Disney park, and I feel that was more because of Joe Rohde
Was it though? I remember for the first decade, Disney constantly saying "It's not a zoo" to remind everyone, it's not a glorified zoo. There was alot of land used, and not alot of attractions. Entertainment wise, seemed like a bust. Only now with Pandora added, is it a full day for alot of people.

Quote:
All of the improvement and expansion of the parks came under Iger, not Eisner.
The Imagineering Story talks about plenty of new rides and attractions that came under Eisner. Two new parks under Eisner!
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote