home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #21
Leon O
Two Bedroom

Off the top of my head:

- Need a sanitary place to check blood, etc.
- keep materials exposed to blood away from other guests
- lack of balance and coordination when low blood sugar occurs
- close proximity to safe place to be seated when low blood sugar unexpectedly kicks in.
- immediate access to exits should fainting (or falling injuries) occur
- quick access to rest rooms, or the next person using that ride seat will have a damp butt
- prevent disruption to lines should any of the above occur.

Last edited by Leon O; 03-19-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Leon O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #22
dvcfan937
Studio

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansprout View Post
My daughter is also type 1 and on the insulin pump. Only difference is she is an adult. Although her numbers are good and her condition is mostly always under control she did have one incident during one of her many trips to Disney. It happened an hour after getting to MK one morning. She felt low and needed something to eat or drink to raise her sugar. Long story short, the lesson here is donít forget to pack a juice or snack. MK doesnít have a lot of options first thing in the morning. Sleepy Hallow had huge lines, restaurants opened were by reservation. We ended up buying candy at the Emporium. Carry something ( of course my daughter does too but mistakes can happen) at all times. Lots of water and frequent testing and all will be good. FYI, my daughter was close to your sonís age when she was diagnosed. She has given birth to two healthy children and has a masters in Physical Therapy. T1 isnít easy, but it wonít stop your son from enjoying a wonderful life, and many fun trips to WDW too!
My daughter is a TYPE 1 (for almost 10 years) and we have done more than a few trips to Disney. Before we went to the park we ensured that we had snacks, insulin pump, glucose meter, (and accessories) fresh battery for the pump and fresh insulin. She is an adult now and we still have to remind her to pack snacks and to change her insulin pump site before we go out to the park when she goes with us.
dvcfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #23
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchauvin View Post
You mentioned you had an email from Disability services. Did you contact them prior to your first time asking for the DAS pass at guest services? If so, would the number to them be found easily with a google search for Disney world and Disability Services?

Thanks for all the great info that this thread is providing.
Over the years I have contacted them to see what options were out there just in case. I had a few trips with my aunt who has cerebral palsy and always had her issues dealt with first as they are harder to deal with but never required a GAC or DAS. It wasn't until last trip that I actually caved. I actually had written in asking about FOP due to issues I have riding it could be difficult and I made mention of my inability to wait in line and would hate to wait and have issues only not to ride. In that response they said I qualified for the DAS and should get it to help so I wouldn't have to waste time only not to be able to ride. I received both a voice mail an e-mail response in that case. They also did address my issues with FOP in the replies.

I always wrote in though. I just used the generic form https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/email/
but I made sure the subject says "Disability Services" which is the bottom. I've received calls and e-mails in the past. They are helpful no matter what the issues though. They do want to help and I have nothing but respect for those who have talked with me about the issues (I've contacted about family members too in the past).

You can also call them directly (407) 560-2547
Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #24
drchauvin
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Also as you become more and more familiar with what really affects your Sons numbers will help with vacationing in the future. Swimming did my Son in every time, as his blood sugar would drop tremendously in the middle of the night. So when on vacation, with swimming always involved, we would always wake him for a snack.
Good to know. We haven't been swimming yet since his diagnosis.

drchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #25
drchauvin
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Over the years I have contacted them to see what options were out there just in case. I had a few trips with my aunt who has cerebral palsy and always had her issues dealt with first as they are harder to deal with but never required a GAC or DAS. It wasn't until last trip that I actually caved. I actually had written in asking about FOP due to issues I have riding it could be difficult and I made mention of my inability to wait in line and would hate to wait and have issues only not to ride. In that response they said I qualified for the DAS and should get it to help so I wouldn't have to waste time only not to be able to ride. I received both a voice mail an e-mail response in that case. They also did address my issues with FOP in the replies.

I always wrote in though. I just used the generic form https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/email/
but I made sure the subject says "Disability Services" which is the bottom. I've received calls and e-mails in the past. They are helpful no matter what the issues though. They do want to help and I have nothing but respect for those who have talked with me about the issues (I've contacted about family members too in the past).

You can also call them directly (407) 560-2547
Thanks again for the info

drchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote