home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

I've been Type-1 since age 11 (now 53), no pump or CGM (7.5 A1C, which is where I feel good). I always carry an insulin pen with me since that's the only thing I can't find in the parks (food, juice, ice cream are usually pretty easy to get if needed).
I had one experience last October when the family wanted to go to Disney Springs at 10:00PM. After walking around in the dark for an hour or so (and not finding the store my daughter wanted to visit), I was starting to go low (and getting angry). We were all glad to find a snack shop with no customers near the bus stop which had candy bars and regular soda. Crisis avoided!

Good advice from everyone on sticking to typical meal times, frequent blood sugar checks, and to stay hydrated. Keep something in the room for late-night or early-morning lows.
Don't be afraid to indulge in some occasional treats but, as you know: be prepared to compensate for the sugar increase.

and MNSSHP!

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
ziravan
One Bedroom

1. I wouldn’t forego the DAS pass. It’s there for a reason. Being able to plan a T1D’s day better isn’t some scam.

2. Most tour plans recommend hitting parks at rope drop, leaving before lunch, taking a long afternoon break, and coming back in the evening. This avoids the heat of the day, the biggest crowds, and provides a rest break.

It works because people won’t get up early on vacation, so you end up touring opposite of the crowds that start pouring in at 10 am.

Book your FPs at 10, 11, 12. Ride standby until almost 11, use your 10 FP at the end of its window then the 11 at the start. Hang out until the noon FP then leave. Go back to room and take a break until 5 or so. (Book a 4th FP for later as soon as 3rd FP used.)

Not only is this a better way to tour generally (you’ll get more stuff done without exhausting yourselves), but it’s a superior strategy for a T1D as well.
ziravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
drchauvin
Studio

Thanks everyone for all the great replies. Thatís why I love this forum. Information is the key to being prepared.

drchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
Leon O
Two Bedroom

T2 here. Lots of great advice above!!

Definitely look into the DAS, in use it does not appear all that much different than a fast pass, so it shouldn't carry the stigma of, say a scooter. And, just because you have one, doesn't mean you need to use it. I got one after radiation treatment, but only used it once over 10 days for when I really needed it. If you get the DAS card you will also have the opportunity to talk with a CM who may be able to give you more ideas on how to make the time in the park more enjoyable for your DS.

Along those same lines, be proactive in reaching out to CS by telephone. Starting with MS it may take a few transfers/calls to get to the right folks, but you should be able to get assistance planning meals, etc. At most TS restaurants, the chefs will still come out to discuss your needs - if you ask.

As for all visitors, wear a hat and use lots of sunscreen.
Leon O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Also as you become more and more familiar with what really affects your Sons numbers will help with vacationing in the future. Swimming did my Son in every time, as his blood sugar would drop tremendously in the middle of the night. So when on vacation, with swimming always involved, we would always wake him for a snack.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #16
Leon O
Two Bedroom

If you are flying this may seem obvious, but can be overlooked.

Make sure any "urgent" supplies and snacks are in a bag that fits under the seat rather than a carryon that will end up in an overhead bin.
Leon O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post
If you are flying this may seem obvious, but can be overlooked.

Make sure any "urgent" supplies and snacks are in a bag that fits under the seat rather than a carryon that will end up in an overhead bin.
Good one, and I always have a doctors note listing all the supplies needed for his travels, including juice boxes which works best for him. We've had issues with TSA with the juiceboxes and lancets. Show them the letter and all is fine.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #18
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

For those who have actually received a DAS for having Diabetes, what explanation did you give for why you couldn't wait in the line for an extended period? The answer to that seems to be the reason the passes are issued.

I understand that Disney doesn't require a doctor's note, but they will ask questions before giving out the pass. I'm wondering what has worked and what hasn't.

and MNSSHP!

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #19
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
For those who have actually received a DAS for having Diabetes, what explanation did you give for why you couldn't wait in the line for an extended period? The answer to that seems to be the reason the passes are issued.

I understand that Disney doesn't require a doctor's note, but they will ask questions before giving out the pass. I'm wondering what has worked and what hasn't.
The person I spoke with on the phone stated that the more vague she is honestly the better. If they ask more than her saying that her son is unable to wait in line, that it's being in a line not in a/c that is detrimental to his health. Also that if his blood sugar tanks, she needs to leave asap. She said sometimes she has had to fight to get it at first but after a while it's become easier. Once you do get it, there are notes in your file about it.

We were just chatting about it while she had a DVC IT person doing their thing on their end and then was doing the MDE help on her end. So they were in a chat and while he was fixing, she and I just talked. I have used the DAS and had one heck of a fight getting it even though it was suggested by Disability Services on the phone. I now have it in writing from them so I can simply show an e-mail if they fight me.

My experience is stay away from words like mobility and stationary. I stupidly used the word stationary and the lady I spoke with who was an international CM (at Epcot) didn't understand and nearly denied until I pushed back and stated Disability Services suggested it. That's why I have it in writing to take with me now. While it is helpful for those who are autistic and have anxiety issues, it's also meant for anyone who has non-mobility related issues.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
drchauvin
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
The person I spoke with on the phone stated that the more vague she is honestly the better. If they ask more than her saying that her son is unable to wait in line, that it's being in a line not in a/c that is detrimental to his health. Also that if his blood sugar tanks, she needs to leave asap. She said sometimes she has had to fight to get it at first but after a while it's become easier. Once you do get it, there are notes in your file about it.

We were just chatting about it while she had a DVC IT person doing their thing on their end and then was doing the MDE help on her end. So they were in a chat and while he was fixing, she and I just talked. I have used the DAS and had one heck of a fight getting it even though it was suggested by Disability Services on the phone. I now have it in writing from them so I can simply show an e-mail if they fight me.

My experience is stay away from words like mobility and stationary. I stupidly used the word stationary and the lady I spoke with who was an international CM (at Epcot) didn't understand and nearly denied until I pushed back and stated Disability Services suggested it. That's why I have it in writing to take with me now. While it is helpful for those who are autistic and have anxiety issues, it's also meant for anyone who has non-mobility related issues .
You mentioned you had an email from Disability services. Did you contact them prior to your first time asking for the DAS pass at guest services? If so, would the number to them be found easily with a google search for Disney world and Disability Services?

Thanks for all the great info that this thread is providing.

drchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote