home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #11
behappy
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Nickys, I imagine you have paid for your son's education to help him get to where he is in his career of being a video/lighting designer. I say he should consider inviting (pay for) mom and dad to see their investment in action near WDW next year.

I am still waiting for my kid's invitation.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #12
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by behappy View Post
Nickys, I imagine you have paid for your son's education to help him get to where he is in his career of being a video/lighting designer. I say he should consider inviting (pay for) mom and dad to see their investment in action near WDW next year.
An excellent suggestion!
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:30 AM   #13
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by behappy View Post

I am still waiting for my kid's invitation.
Nice idea! However he's only 22 and just a year and a half after graduation. So not yet earning a huge amount. Which is why of course he wants to go freelance.

But I shall remind him of your excellent suggestion a few years down the line!
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #14
Djohn06
Grand Villa

To me the 12 hour trip time is a mental barrier. If you believe you can enjoy the trip within tighter timeframes, you will. I've flown on connecting flights with kids from coast to coast in the US that took 10 to 11 hours for three days of vacation. We just focused on the opportunity to have a great vacation. But more importantly, we have that memory as a family together.

I think you can do the one week trip and enjoy it tremendously. After all, the choice is not about duration. Rather, it is simply do you want the family memory and vacation, or don't you?

On a similar note, I just booked a DVC trip yesterday in May for 4 nights which is less than my 7 night trips that I've been taking. So, I am sharing with you what I'm telling myself. The interesting thing is I'm the only one that thought about the short duration in my family. DW, DD and DS are just excited to go.

Djohn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #15
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradybunch View Post
For me it would depend on 2 things. 1. How important it was to me to see DS and his work and 2. How quickly I could recover financially from financing on the credit card.

The travel time wouldn’t bother me as much.

Here is another thought since I know you mentioned the reservation falls outside your banking window.
Why not rent out your points and transfer in another members points who has either April, June, September, or October use year -that way you can transfer in what you need, and still bank the points if it is cancelled.
Also instead of 7 days can you make it ten - leave UK on Friday afternoon and return the following Sunday? then you have ten days here - well i Know Friday is wiped out and Sunday, but at least that will give you a full 8 days here:-)

Last edited by pooh bears mom; 03-09-2018 at 08:49 AM.
pooh bears mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post

That's madness right? All the way from the UK for a week. I know you do it all the time, but reverse things a minute. Would you go over to Europe with a travel time of 12 hours plus (local airport to international Hub and onwards)? Costing say $2500 on flights?

Not weighing into what a week means to you. It is different from everyone.

I think most of the people I know who have gone to Europe have done so for a week. That is probably the typical trip as opposed to the unusual one.

We DRIVE for a week (and sometimes less) and that is a 18 hour drive. So flying is nothing.

So for us, yes, very clearly, it would be worth it. In fact, we get in the car today.

For the cost, that is a personal thing with a lot of variables such as personal finances, how long it has been since the last visit, what else might be happening on site, how excited people might be to go, etc, etc.

Good luck!
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #17
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
I know you do it all the time, but reverse things a minute. Would you go over to Europe with a travel time of 12 hours plus (local airport to international Hub and onwards)? Costing say $2500 on flights?

Especially since it would essentially be going on a CC. Plus WDW tickets. I could compare our 7 day ultimate tickets with say a 5 day MYW ticket.

!
I do that trip to Europe for a week once or twice a year normally (I am trying to be good and stay home this year)

But the CC issue is a no, that's why I am not going this year. It has to be from the play money not "financed"
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #18
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post

Here is another thought since I know you mentioned the reservation falls outside your banking window.
Why not rent out your points and transfer in another members points who has either April, June, September, or October use year -that way you can transfer in what you need, and still bank the points if it is cancelled.
Also instead of 7 days can you make it ten - leave UK on Friday afternoon and return the following Sunday? then you have ten days here - well i Know Friday is wiped out and Sunday, but at least that will give you a full 8 days here:-)
Transferring seems harder, just because of the once per year rule. Also didn't know you could bank transferred points. Worth considering though, thanks!

Sadly I'm tied to school holidays, I work at one! Flights to the US leave in the morning and the flights back are overnight. So I couldn't fly out until the Saturday morning, and we'd have to leave on Saturday to arrive back on Sunday. We wouldn't be back in Edinburgh until around mid-day.

The rest of the family could though, leaving me to fly back alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
Not weighing into what a week means to you. It is different from everyone.

I think most of the people I know who have gone to Europe have done so for a week. That is probably the typical trip as opposed to the unusual one.

We DRIVE for a week (and sometimes less) and that is a 18 hour drive. So flying is nothing.

So for us, yes, very clearly, it would be worth it. In fact, we get in the car today.

For the cost, that is a personal thing with a lot of variables such as personal finances, how long it has been since the last visit, what else might be happening on site, how excited people might be to go, etc, etc.

Good luck!
I guess the thing about the week is this. It would cost us exactly the same for 2 weeks. The flights would be the same. And unless we are incredibly unlucky, in fact useless at planning, for at least 10 months of the year we can book a 14 day ticket for the price of a 7 day ticket. We might spend more in 2 weeks, but the basic cost is the same.

So doing one week, instead of keeping to the plan of returning 18 months later for 2+ weeks for the same price is psychologically harder. It seems such a waste.

But hey, , a week at Disney is better than no week at Disney!

You see, I'm using the logical, analytical side of my brain to counter everyone's thoughtful responses. But in my I really am trying to justify this. Never have I felt more like this:

So DH returns tonight from a week away, and DS is phoning tonight to update us on the situation.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #19
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

YOLO!

But I would still try to find a way to do 2 weeks......
Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #20
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
I do that trip to Europe for a week once or twice a year normally (I am trying to be good and stay home this year)

But the CC issue is a no, that's why I am not going this year. It has to be from the play money not "financed"
Thanks Carol. This is really the sticking point. We were last over in Florida a year ago, we're just beginning to start building that balance up for the next one in a couple of years, be it Christmas 2019 or Easter 2020.

October is too soon, so we'll be partly financing it. And that means resetting the clock.