home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
That's interesting, but I am completely unaware of this box and so have never opened it, closed it, or seen it. When I used to ask, Alamo/National never mentioned it. I still (thankfully) get charged for tolls. Apparently different rental agencies deal with this differently.
Make it worth the question if you do plan own one and want to rent. We always sponge a spare vehicle off a family member if we fly in, but sooner or later we will rent. So this is a good heads up.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
Not sure if you are addressing TexasChick or myself. Maybe a little bit of both?
Regardless, I believe TexasChick is in Houston, and that is a straight shot along I10 to I75 in Florida. We come in from Austin, and the worst spot of the entire drive is through Houston.

It is very nice drive. I love driving over the Louisiana Swamp. It is not something we get to see on a regular basis so it always ends up feeling a bit exotic.
We are driving from Houston to Destin, and we stay there for a week. Then, we are driving down to WDW. We will drive back to Destin and stay for a night while my sister is in Destin for her trip, and then we head home. Itís not a bad drive at all.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #13
It's Me
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Are you seriously driving to WDW?!
If you rent a car at MCO, it is extremely likely that it already comes with a transponder and that you will be charged tolls through it. I know this is true for Alamo/National and strongly suspect it is true for other agencies as well. I'm not qualified to predict what would happen if you have two transponders on your car.
Some rental agencies charge a small fortune for the convenience of using their SunPass. We almost always rent from Dollar, and we always decline their SunPass option, and bring our own transponder because it's cheaper. I don't remember exactly how it works, but I have a $15 fee on the brain. I don't remember if that is per day, one time or what. But it was a ridiculous fee for when I could just get our own

NOTC4
It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Quellman
Grand Villa

Different passes have different rules. We got the sunpass for florida with the transferable transponder. We let friends borrow it.

Now we also have a georgia peach pass because we can use that for free HOV lane access. If you use the Sunpass transponder they will charge you for the toll on their roads, but you don't get the free hov lane.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #15
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Me View Post
Some rental agencies charge a small fortune for the convenience of using their SunPass. We almost always rent from Dollar, and we always decline their SunPass option, and bring our own transponder because it's cheaper. I don't remember exactly how it works, but I have a $15 fee on the brain. I don't remember if that is per day, one time or what. But it was a ridiculous fee for when I could just get our own
Here is the list of fees PER DAY that you are charged to use one of the rental companies toll transponders:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
Old 03-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #16
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Me View Post
Checked my records for my last trip: 2 x $6.95 to Alamo for transponder and/or tolls, on top of rental charge. Since I don't have my own, I'm happy with that.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
TexasChick
Grand Villa

We have been going to Sandestin since I was a baby. I called up my mom today and asked if she and my dad ever got a Sunpass for the Mid-Bay Bridge. Her response, "We've had one for over 10 years. We just bring it with us when we fly. You can buy one at Publix. I thought you had one too." My response, "No, Mom. We talk about it every summer as we are paying the toll on the bridge, but we always forget."

I ordered my Sunpass transponder today that can be used in multiple cars considering we go to Sandestin at least once per year, it is a no brainer for us.

Last edited by TexasChick; 03-06-2018 at 08:33 PM.
TexasChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

We bought Sun pass just for use in FL. Most of the road we have been to uses Sun pass. Do not buy sticker Sun pass, buy the one with suction cups on the back to you can move from one car to other.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #19
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
We bought Sun pass just for use in FL. Most of the road we have been to uses Sun pass. Do not buy sticker Sun pass, buy the one with suction cups on the back to you can move from one car to other.
That's the one I ordered. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #20
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Here is the list of fees PER DAY that you are charged to use one of the rental companies toll transponders:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
Thanks for the link. Last time we rented from Alamo and there was no mention of the tolls or transponders. Did not realize that opt-in is automatic based on which toll lane one uses. On a side note, a couple of times we took an off ramp to get gas or go to a local store and were surprised to see the tolls at the end of the ramp. Digging for coins is such a hassle! Do they accept dollar bills? What do you do when you don't have the coins?
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote