home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Default Best Non-DVC Timeshare

We are just starting to look at other timeshares. We travel quite a bit, and we don’t mind planning things out as my DH doesn’t have a flexible job which makes this a necessity. For those of you that own non-DVC timeshares, which one(s) is(are) your favorite and why? Is it better to go resale with the others or buy directly from the companies? Is it wise to buy the higher price on the premium locations like Hawaii and/or the Caribbean or just a cheaper one that you mostly trade? Thanks for any and all input.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

We have 3 HGVC (Hilton) contracts. We like them because of the points-based flexibility (just like DVC). More nickel-and-dime fees than DVC, but the locations work for us. Since points are points, but where the MFs are lower (Vegas).

Oh, and resale is (just about) always better in any timeshare situation.

Cheers.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We have 3 HGVC (Hilton) contracts. We like them because of the points-based flexibility (just like DVC). More nickel-and-dime fees than DVC, but the locations work for us. Since points are points, but where the MFs are lower (Vegas).

Cheers.
Tagging along .....
Does HGVC do a similar Home Resort priority window? Any fees for staying somewhere other than home resort?

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #4
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post

Cheers.
Thank you for responding. My aunt owns HGVC, and they like it a lot as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
Tagging along .....
Does HGVC do a similar Home Resort priority window? Any fees for staying somewhere other than home resort?
I wish there was a way to add this to the latest threads section because I know a lot of MO's own various timeshares and would chime in. However, I couldn't post this under a different category because it doesn't really fit anywhere but here.

If anyone knows how I can change the visibility of it, please let me know.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Thank you for responding. My aunt owns HGVC, and they like it a lot as well.

I wish there was a way to add this to the latest threads section because I know a lot of MO's own various timeshares and would chime in. However, I couldn't post this under a different category because it doesn't really fit anywhere but here.

If anyone knows how I can change the visibility of it, please let me know.

I see it with each update because I always click “New Posts”. I’d think that’s what most would do but apparently not the case.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #6
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
I see it with each update because I always click “New Posts”. I’d think that’s what most would do but apparently not the case.
Its the way I look for new posts and saw this.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
TexasChick
Grand Villa

I had no idea "New Posts" existed. I mean, I see it now, but I always looked on latest threads. You learn something new everyday...especially when you bother to read.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:32 AM   #8
littlestar
Studio

We own resale with Marriott and Wyndham. I learned about other brands over on the tugbbs boards (timeshare users group).
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Its the way I look for new posts and saw this.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I had no idea "New Posts" existed. I mean, I see it now, but I always looked on latest threads. You learn something new everyday...especially when you bother to read.
Be careful, look where reading got Belle!

Thanks for asking the question, I've wondered the same about Hilton.

Dirk
Old 02-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
Mj2v
One Bedroom

We are long Time Marriott and DVC owners.

We have stayed in all of the hotel branded properties. I put some thoughts below. I left our several that either are disappearing (Ritz has seemingly disappeared into Marriott) Intrawest (which has been swallowed up by the stench of Diamond) and Starwood because they have inexplicably taken on the Vistana name, one of the worst branding moves since Chevy tried to sell Novas in Mexico (an urban legend, but you get the point). We like several of the Westin properties, but their system is beyond flawed, imo.

Favorite:

4Seasons. Phenomenal service and incredible resorts, but there are two resorts

Marriott. Many resorts, most are good quality, some much nicer than others. Love most of the Hawaii Resorts, Newport Coast (DVC sold the property to Marriott...), Vegas, and the property that we spend the most time at, Lakeshore Reserve in Orlando.

Hilton. Not a fan. Mostly decent resorts, some ehhh. They would charge a fee per second that you are on the website if they could. Fees for EVERYTHING. In all fairness, if you always book your home resort in your unit type (view), they probably come out cheaper. If you do anything above and beyond, you will remember your credit card number, exp date and cvs after a year of dealing with them. Hilton has embarked on a capital light program to expand. That means that they are just the managers and sales force. Will that lead to a resort being deflagged at some point? Problems with oh, we are just the management co, that is an ownership issue... Yet to know.

Wyndham. I can’t even. Some decent properties, but they are a top down sleazy operation. Above and beyond their sales tactics, some of their employment practices are pretty questionable.

I have spent years working for DVC (no longer there, but left on good terms and still enjoy the company and product) and have friends who work for all of the major TS companies in senior positions. I geek out on travel, especially if I can do so in a smart way. Timeshare has allowed us to travel extensively well. Way too well for my tight wallet. My children have grown up vacationing much better that my wife and I ever did.

To me, it’s important to look at what you are doing, but also think about the fact that the average person changes their travel habits every 5-10 years.

Look at where the companies that you are interested in have resorts. Look at if they have developed them vs “manage” them.

We just added a 4th week with Marriott. We used their internal resale department to purchase from. We spent $11k for a 2 br ocean front at a resort that we go to every year. If we bought into their points program to reserve the same thing, our cost would have been $50k and our annual dues would be $400 a year more.

We also just added a second master contract with DVC and are completing a 430
Point resale purchase.

So I guess the answer is clear for our family!

DVC and Marriott

Last edited by Mj2v; 02-25-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Mj2v is offline   Reply With Quote