home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #21
zafiro
Two Bedroom

If I could suggest one thing, it's to pack a small overnight / next morning carry on bag with only essentials that you need (kids' and your jammies, toothbrushes / paste, etc.). Get off the plane and head directly to the ME buses. You are not arriving super late and the name of the game is to get on a bus that's ready to go ASAP!

Your luggage will make it fine with the bag service and you can get the kids and yourselves in the resort and ready for bed so that you're settled in before your luggage arrives with very little hassle. You'll enjoy just getting you, the family and the essentials to the resort as lightly as possible with the least hassle.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #22
ajc
Grand Villa

we own at AKL and love Jambo House but both resorts have pluses.
The Mara at Jambo is quick service and affordable and the breakfast buffet at Boma is great (too much food for every morning but worth doing).
don't forget to check the schedule for movies under the stars (very relaxing on the pool chaise lounges with some flat breads, popcorn, and zebras domes)
If you are going in May make a trip to EPCOT for flower and garden as the park is beautiful and the topiaries are awesome. The 12+ open kitchens give you a mini- food and wine vibe and the kids may enjoy the butterfly garden and playground installations.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #23
5DisneyFans
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn buckets View Post
transportation
along with my ever expanding knowledge on disney, the past few months i've discovered the wonderful world of credit card bonus points! I'm not a churner nor to i plan to be one, but i'm loving taking advantage of all the different offers and point systems out there. Give me all the credit cards!! So..found airfare that was $80/round trip and paid for it using points. We are using the mde and counting solely on disney transportation. My incoming flight to orlando arrives on the later side (for me) past 8:30 so i'll be debating whether i want disney to deliver my checked bags or whether we should just pick them up.

resort
we'll be staying 5 nights at kidani standard studio and 2 nights jambo standard studio in mid-may! I've never stepped into either resort and i love surprises, so i probably won't make any room requests. I'm most looking forward to the kidani pool, and the sanaa breakfast. I think the breakfast at sanaa, from what i've read about it, is probably one of the biggest hidden gems at dvc. The fact that its quick service style and really quality food (like real eggs instead of powdered eggs and french press coffee), and not too crowded right at opening (which i'll be there). And the setting, too. I can't really recall reading any other place that's like it at the other resorts.

park plans
animal kingdom, magic kingdom, and a water park are for sures. Again.. I'll have to keep ya'll updated with my plans!

One thing i did sign up for already was the moonlight magic. Now.. With little kids i'm not sure how that will work for us. One of us might have to leave early.. Or we all might only be there for a short while.. But i'm super stoked either way! It worked really smoothly for me. I received an email from dvc the night before registration with the link. I followed the link the next day and was booted out when the server went down. Went back in, and processed ok. I can't wait to hear what type of "light refreshments" they'll have.it will also be the first time we see pandora.

food / adrs
i'll keep ya'll updated! The only plan for sure right now is going to the trex or one of the rainforest cafes. I got the landry card last year and it worked out great! We went into rainforest without a reservation, showed them the card, and got seated almost immediately. Plus, may is my birthday month so i'll get an additional $20 off! Does anyone know if i can combine that coupon with the ap/dvc discount?
well done!

The Good, The Bad and the Extremely Sweaty 6/2011 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54835
First cruise success and failure 3/2012 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64677
Adults Only F&W trip 9/2012 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70803
7 teens, 4 Adults, 1 Grand Villa over NYE and we lived!_2014 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86675

5DisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 AM   #24
attymom23
One Bedroom

Default DME luggage

I would certainly advise getting your own luggage when arriving this late. When we had an 8:30 flight arrival our luggage didn't arrive until after 2 in the morning and that was after I called several times to track it down. I didn't think getting it at 11:30 would be bad as my children are used to staying up late on vacation, but 2 was a bit much.
attymom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #25
eandjmom
One Bedroom

As a parent of little ones, though not a little as yours! Definitely pick up your luggage before you head to your resort. We had a late fight as well on our last trip. There are carts that you can load up your luggage on. Once you get those kids settled in, the last thing you'll want is a knock on the door waking them up!

Also, completely agree with the recommendation on Tusker House. The characters took their time with my kids and we got lots of pictures! The food offered something for everyone in our group!

The best of luck on your trip!!
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #26
Popcorn Buckets
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Hi, everyone! I hope everyone is doing well! It's been a little over a month since my last post, which means that I'm less than 2 months away from my Animal Kingdom extravaganza!

I missed my fastpass open date by a few days so I hopped on to the website yesterday to make all of my selections, but nothing was working out for me. The website was slow, and I couldn't figure out my plans, and nothing seemed to be working and it was driving up my anxiety!! I almost wrote a post on here, but I was in too foul of a mood and decided to quit while everything was sucking and try again the next day (today).

This morning, I went back on, and everything worked out. Phewwww. I switched around all of my days and ADR times, but I think the only substantial difference in my new plans is I'm no longer going to eat at Boma and I'm not going to buy any of the meal plans.

After reading everyone's posts about my luggage, I think that what I'm going to do is have Disney deliver my luggage on our arrival and ask the front desk/bell services to hold it at the front until I pick it up the next day. If they forget and knock on our door at 1am it won't be the end of the world. We'll have our carry-on as well.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, my "baby" just turned 2! A month ago, her first second-year molar started coming through. Oh. my. goodness. The pain it was causing her and her crabbiness was through the roof! My son was 3 before he started getting his molars, so this was a whole new experience for me. She wasn't sleeping and she was always angry for 8 or 9 days straight. Then... a week later her second bottom molar started coming through and same thing all over again. Please pray for us that she gets her last two molars BEFORE our trip to Disney because this child AINT RIGHT while she's teething.

My other sweet little boy told me the other day that he wants to only go on slow rides at Disney. My husband said "Do you want to go fast like Lightning McQueen or slow like a turtle?" and my son says "turtle!". Well, that makes my fastpass selection easy since it looks like we're only going on the really slow kiddie rides I'm not surprised, whenever we go on a merry-go-round, you know how they have those stationary seats in between the horses? He always chooses to sit on the seat and he LOVES it.

I'll post my actual schedule/plans up later when I have the time. My next step is to write out my pack list (whoohoo), which I actually enjoy doing.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #27
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Buckets View Post
Hi, everyone! I hope everyone is doing well! It's been a little over a month since my last post, which means that I'm less than 2 months away from my Animal Kingdom extravaganza!

I missed my fastpass open date by a few days so I hopped on to the website yesterday to make all of my selections, but nothing was working out for me. The website was slow, and I couldn't figure out my plans, and nothing seemed to be working and it was driving up my anxiety!! I almost wrote a post on here, but I was in too foul of a mood and decided to quit while everything was sucking and try again the next day (today).

This morning, I went back on, and everything worked out. Phewwww. I switched around all of my days and ADR times, but I think the only substantial difference in my new plans is I'm no longer going to eat at Boma and I'm not going to buy any of the meal plans.

After reading everyone's posts about my luggage, I think that what I'm going to do is have Disney deliver my luggage on our arrival and ask the front desk/bell services to hold it at the front until I pick it up the next day. If they forget and knock on our door at 1am it won't be the end of the world. We'll have our carry-on as well.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, my "baby" just turned 2! A month ago, her first second-year molar started coming through. Oh. my. goodness. The pain it was causing her and her crabbiness was through the roof! My son was 3 before he started getting his molars, so this was a whole new experience for me. She wasn't sleeping and she was always angry for 8 or 9 days straight. Then... a week later her second bottom molar started coming through and same thing all over again. Please pray for us that she gets her last two molars BEFORE our trip to Disney because this child AINT RIGHT while she's teething.

My other sweet little boy told me the other day that he wants to only go on slow rides at Disney. My husband said "Do you want to go fast like Lightning McQueen or slow like a turtle?" and my son says "turtle!". Well, that makes my fastpass selection easy since it looks like we're only going on the really slow kiddie rides I'm not surprised, whenever we go on a merry-go-round, you know how they have those stationary seats in between the horses? He always chooses to sit on the seat and he LOVES it.

I'll post my actual schedule/plans up later when I have the time. My next step is to write out my pack list (whoohoo), which I actually enjoy doing.
Enjoy. There is not much in life more special than taking young children to WDW.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #28
eandjmom
One Bedroom

Speaking of "turtle" speed, my son's favorite ride at this age was the People Mover. I love the memories of sitting with my young family on that ride and my kids grinning from ear to ear!
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #29
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by attymom23 View Post
I would certainly advise getting your own luggage when arriving this late. When we had an 8:30 flight arrival our luggage didn't arrive until after 2 in the morning and that was after I called several times to track it down. I didn't think getting it at 11:30 would be bad as my children are used to staying up late on vacation, but 2 was a bit much.
it makes it easily if you have all your stuff.
get a luggage cart to move with the family to DME then bell services takes it for you to the room (don't forget to tip).
Sanaa for breakfast will be awesome but don't be surprised if the little ones don't eat much while they are busy with animal spotting.

Turtle Talk after Finding Nemo ride is a must for your family.

also Yak and Yeti (inside for table service) at AK park is Landry's as well.

You can get Dole whip or Citrus swirl at MK (different windows in Adventureland) or Dole Whip at Poly for a boat ride or monorail for boy.

Last edited by ajc; 03-20-2018 at 10:49 AM.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #30
Popcorn Buckets
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandjmom View Post
Speaking of "turtle" speed, my son's favorite ride at this age was the People Mover. I love the memories of sitting with my young family on that ride and my kids grinning from ear to ear!
Yes! We didn't get to go on that last year so I'd love to go this year.

Speaking of turtle, for the past month, my son has been asking me to go on the Turtle ride. So now I'm not sure if he wants to go on slow rides or if it's just that wants to go on a literal turtle ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
:
Sanaa for breakfast will be awesome but don't be surprised if the little ones don't eat much while they are busy with animal spotting.
That would still be super sweet