home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

Woohoo, sounds like a great, fun time!!!Thanks for sharing. We'll be at AKL soon too. Looking forward to the pools and other resort things.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #12
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

ME ,DH , DS23 , DD21 , DD12
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

$80 round trip flights...WOW ...great snag there. Sounds like a good trip. Curious to see what your thoughts are on the two parts of AKV, which you like more.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon Oct 14-15 at HHI and Dec 19-24 at BWV
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #14
jflatto
Grand Villa

Like others, I think you have a good plan. I also recommend Tusker House as an excellent character breakfast. Another ADR to consider is "Be Our Guest" in Magic Kingdom. The atmosphere is wonderful. Since folks can made ADRs at 6 months and you are within this time window, you want to see if you want any other reservations and start looking soon and keep checking back in case a reservation opens.

We have used a dining "sniping" tool where you can put in your dining preference (restaurant, dates and approximate time) and you will receive an email and text if a reservation opens. You still have to make the reservation.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
Popcorn Buckets
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac0712 View Post
Re: the Landry 's card, you can't combine discounts, but you can split the check - put about $20 of drink (or food if you don't drink) on one bill and the rest on the other to use with the AP discount. AP discount there isn't typically applied to alcohol but we've had a few servers there do it but I think maybe it was by mistake.
Good to know, thanks! I'll be paying with a Landry gift card that I had purchased with a small discount, so I'm already getting a good enough deal, I won't worry about splitting it this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We are not a credit card churner either, but have been abusing various point systems over the years. I have been touting the SWA credit card rewards and sign-up bonus the past few years for flights to MCO.

For late arrivals after 7pm, I do not recommend leaving the luggage delivery to Magical Express.....especially with little kids. The luggage will get there late. With a 8:30 arrival, it will be after midnight getting your luggage.

We took our grandson to Trex last summer for the first time and he loved it. I got a bit noisy for him at times, but it was an overall hit.
The Southwest Credit card is probably my favorite! I used to be big into couponing and now my focus is shifted to CCs and Disney planning You're right, I decided to pick up my luggage. It probably won't add too much time anyway, since we'll need to stop for restroom breaks and that sort of thing. Last year, my husband stopped to have the kids take pictures in front of the Disney store at the airport and I was like.. "we're going to see the REAL thing in like one hour, can't you wait??" I don't think I'm going to fit Disney Springs into my trip next time, but I want to go to TRex for sure next year.

Quote:
Are you going to use any of the grocery deliver options?
NOPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
Like others, I think you have a good plan. I also recommend Tusker House as an excellent character breakfast. Another ADR to consider is "Be Our Guest" in Magic Kingdom. The atmosphere is wonderful. Since folks can made ADRs at 6 months and you are within this time window, you want to see if you want any other reservations and start looking soon and keep checking back in case a reservation opens.
Yay! ok.. i set my adrs..I got everything I wanted! I remember last year when I tried making ADRs a month out everything was taken, so it seems like 3 months out is still far enough. I'll make a post about that in a second.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #16
Popcorn Buckets
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default 3 Months Out - ADRs Made

Hello everyone! Thanks for your kind replies.. I'm happy to have ya'll commenting and joining me.

General Updates
Disney just announced that they're opening TSL.. for June.. . I was hoping that I would be there for a DVC sneak peek, but now I'll just hope that Hollywood Studios will be a ghost town when I go (hush yourself)

The other exciting news is that I'm 3 months out! You know what that means!? Accuweather.com has my dates up in their extended forecast now! It will be 85 degrees and sunny on our first day there! THAT SOUNDS LOVELY. Wouldn't that be funny if it turns out to be accurate?

ADRs

Got everything I wanted! Folks, I have what it takes to put together the best trip ever.

The only trip-up was my husband's input. For example..this is what he says he wants:
things to just happen organically
not follow any timetable or pressure
No waiting in line, ever
Do all the new, fun stuff
Good / interesting meals
Come on. What does that even mean?? But then magical pixie dust came my way this week because my husband saw his friend's photos from WDW and she went to every single character meal in existence. His eyes practically lit up when he showed me the photos and he said "are we going to all of these character meals, too?" I thought JACKPOT, now I know what he really wants. His vague foolery doesn't trick me.

This is what I have, in no particular order:
Regular Dining Plan
2 nights (2 adults, 1 child). Last year, in the evening I would fill up my refillable mug with soda and then pour in an airplane bottle. Two thumbs up!
Table Service meals: Boma dinner (during one of our Jambo nights) and Chef Mickey's Brunch.
Counter Service meals: probably just Mara since we will be having a "resort" day for the one day. I would love to use the Uzima pool bar as a credit, but I think that's a no-go.

Other ADRs:
5pm Sanaa dinner during one of our nights at Kidani. I planned it so that we'll hopefully get a window seat!
8:10am Be Our Guest breakfast before a 9am Magic Kingdom opening
not an ADR, but a meal at Rainforest Cafe during our Animal Kingdom day

Other must haves:
Popcorn bucket
Sanaa breakfasts
Dole whip (never had one. I tried to get one last year, but the machine was broken)

Things I'm bringing with me:
A few cans of fruit, like peach slices
Airplane bottles
Empty sippy cup

Once I get my FastPasses next month month, I might see what yummy snacks happen to be next to our FastPasses, since sometimes I'll be outside waiting with Girl while Boy and Husband are riding their rides. (it has to be that way since Girl is a momma's girl).

Old 02-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #17
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Nicely done!
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #18
grayandry
Grand Villa

Quote:
We took our grandson to Trex last summer for the first time and he loved it. I got a bit noisy for him at times, but it was an overall hit.

Not sure if you are doing any characer dining, but we have been on a Tusker House kick the past few trips. It has become our go to Character meal for the kids.
T-Rex was a family favorite of ours for years. My kids were HUGE dinosaur lovers for a long time, so it was a must do for us. We never had a bad meal there.

As for the Tusker House, it was our first character meal ever, and it remains our favorite. We tell everyone that we know to go there.
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #19
Spartan86
Studio

I might suggest a generic “prefer savanna view” for Jambo. We are just back from 3 nights in a standard 1Br. I had a couple of specific rooms and a general “savanna” request. We ended up near the end of Kudu trail with a nice, animal plentiful view. Not one of my specific room requests, but on a savanna versus over the pool which was our preference. Have fun!
Spartan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #20
micca
Two Bedroom

Good stuff Buckets, looking forward to reading more! You certainly have the right idea about managing expectations, especially with little kids. You really have to go with what they can handle, there's no reasoning with kids that age.

You'll love AKL, it's pretty spectacular.
micca is offline   Reply With Quote