home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #41
bradybunch
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Yes, about 6 months after they opened. It was our 15th wedding anniversary. We had a whole group on that trip, but only my son and brother were in the bungalow with us. The rest of the family stayed elsewhere, but joined us quite a few times to check it out.

We spent a ton of time out on that deck and just loved every minute of it. Best view ever of the fireworks and truly upscale furnishings - though it still had that tiki vibe. Totally worth our points to stay there.

The cabins look great too. We'll have to splurge on those sometime too. We'll be at CCVC in June and hopefully can tour one at least.
Oh so nice! I love that deck! Must tell my hubby that that’s what DVC owners typically do for their anniversary
bradybunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #42
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I can see why there would be a trend toward advanced rental requests given how the repeat Disney guest who knows enough to know there is a rental market is probably a major planner already. I think there is a strong element of FOMO which makes Disney guests book the second they possibly can. It only makes sense that if you have a relationship with an owner, you let them know ahead of time that you want a room for a hard to get date. Increased attendance only strengthens the FOMO anxiety.

I can also see this having a major impact on the ability of owners to book for themselves. You are not only competing with the pool of owners for the desired date, you are also competing with an ever expanding pool of renters who want that same date. That means more owners are calling in for the same dates, or that peak period book up more quickly.

DVC is designed so that all owners can have an annual stay in their resort at some point in time. It's not designed so all owners and all renters can get into the resort. Somebody has to be told no, and that's the owner who waits to book (whether for themselves or a renter).

As for walking, it seems that DVC could address this fairly one of two ways: limit walking to a small number of days (somewhere between 3 and 7) so that rooms aren't walked forever. Or limit the number of changes to the check-in date to one or two changes if that date moves within a one week period. In other words, if you want to move your check-in date to within 7 days of the original date, you can do that once or twice. If you want to completely change the reservation to a different time frame (another week or month), no problem.

I'm sure there are wrinkles with that approach, but it would allow some flexibility for owners while locking out the more egregious offenders.

Dirk
Old 01-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #43
cornbread4
Studio

Quote:
Honestly I am not sure I agree with what they said anyway. A small contract is somewhere under 100 points more of in the 25-75 point range. Doesn't get you much and they always only have to do studios.

Now it's another thing IMO to buy at PVB for studio only stays because that's all they have, but they aren't the cheapest studios anyway

I agree that 150 is much bigger than 50-75 in absolute terms. But if that owner will only take 2 standard view studios in cheapest season to fit their family, they are in the same boat as the 50-75 point owner and will contribute to the same cheap studio rush.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #44
cornbread4
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradybunch View Post
Thanks, I agree. We’ll wait and see how things go before we add more points other than the 25 we’re considering direct. They would be useful to have AND I can’t help but love the idea of being a fully included member (snob ) We’re on a waiting list for Boulder Ridge (our home resort). We asked for 25 points but our guide put us on for 50 points so we can decide when they come through.... sneaky... I see what you’re doing Do you think you’ll buy the 25 points when they come through? Sounds like you will!
We have been to yo-yo-ing. Started wanting 25 more at home resort (BWV). Then, wanted 25 at BLT for 50 yr instead of 25 so we would have easier option to buy another resale down the line but still have full benefits. We’d just use the BLT points for a couple days split stay in a 1BR there every few years. Now, we are swinging toward the cost not being worth it- even to be full owners. But we didn’t drop off the list- even with the price increase, so who knows. Honestly, it’s a nice dilemma to have.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #45
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradybunch View Post
Oh so nice! I love that deck! Must tell my hubby that that’s what DVC owners typically do for their anniversary
Oh yeah we do that all the time for ours LOL Seriously for a special occasion it would be worth it to do a couple nights. I do like the studios there as well though. The studio shower is actually better than the one in the master bathroom in the bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post
I agree that 150 is much bigger than 50-75 in absolute terms. But if that owner will only take 2 standard view studios in cheapest season to fit their family, they are in the same boat as the 50-75 point owner and will contribute to the same cheap studio rush.
Not sure how many people want just 2 studios in the cheapest season. That just seems odd to want that. Granted there might be some, but to argue that 150 is small for that very odd chance? Not as likely. 150 gets most people enough for a decent trip every year at least.

Now our ownership at PVB is different being mostly studios anyway. Otherwise I'm not sure your idea really comes into play. The idea to me that 150 points is a small contract gives an overly skewed idea on the average ownership. It would be on the lower side, but it's not "small" at all compared to what they are doing now.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #46
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I can see why there would be a trend toward advanced rental requests given how the repeat Disney guest who knows enough to know there is a rental market is probably a major planner already. I think there is a strong element of FOMO which makes Disney guests book the second they possibly can. It only makes sense that if you have a relationship with an owner, you let them know ahead of time that you want a room for a hard to get date. Increased attendance only strengthens the FOMO anxiety.

I can also see this having a major impact on the ability of owners to book for themselves. You are not only competing with the pool of owners for the desired date, you are also competing with an ever expanding pool of renters who want that same date. That means more owners are calling in for the same dates, or that peak period book up more quickly.

DVC is designed so that all owners can have an annual stay in their resort at some point in time. It's not designed so all owners and all renters can get into the resort. Somebody has to be told no, and that's the owner who waits to book (whether for themselves or a renter).

Dirk
as common-sense an explanation as i've seen.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #47
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

There seem to be two types of renters . The causal renters who seldom go to Disney and the veterans like myself. The veterans are like veteran DVC owners as they know when to book and where they what to stay. Renters have to be more flexible as they do not own points. But with planning experienced renters have succes finding what they want. Brooklyn Betty ended with BWV studio for Jersey Week for the exact days she wanted. I rented a BWV standard in Nov . I wanted BCV but am happy 😊

I am greatful to all the owners who rent thier points . They provide a service to those of us who do not own. I am sorry some owners feel renters take away rooms from dvc owners . But the points belong to the owners . If they chose to rent their points to me I do not feel guilty. I am just happy they are renting to me.

But getting the hard to get times, resorts and rooms requires knowledge and determination. . This is true for both renters and owners. If due diligence is done most will get the rooms they want most of the time at least .
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #48
cornbread4
Studio

Quote:
Not sure how many people want just 2 studios in the cheapest season. That just seems odd to want that. Granted there might be some, but to argue that 150 is small for that very odd chance? Not as likely. 150 gets most people enough for a decent trip every year at least.

Now our ownership at PVB is different being mostly studios anyway. Otherwise I'm not sure your idea really comes into play. The idea to me that 150 points is a small contract gives an overly skewed idea on the average ownership. It would be on the lower side, but it's not "small" at all compared to what they are doing now.
I know folks who aim to always travel with family and want two studios and have seen posts here about similar. Are they the sole cause? Certainly not. But two studios is just one example. Not everyone buys into DVC for studios. If someone needs 150 points for their 1 trip a year in the cheapest 1BR, it's contributing the same booking problem, albeit with the cheapest 1BR's vs the cheapest studios. If you're looking at 1BR's, well 150 won't come close to booking a standard 1BR for a week at BLT in the cheapest season(194). It's the cheapest in each category that are the biggest issue. Everyone can't buy expecting to all be able to use the cheapest. They'll either to change their expectations about length of trip, or frequency.

I'm not saying that 150 is the same as 50 or 75 or that its necessarily small at all. I said it depends on expected usage. Call it "tight" then if you want a different term to avoid confusion between sub 100 contracts and contracts that leave little leeway for non-perfect conditions. But focusing on just sub 100 misses the same impact that larger, but still "tight" contracts are having.

Higher point prices mean that means that some folks who would have bought 100 or 150 points 20 years ago are now buying 50 or 75. But it also has some folks who would have bought 300 points buying 150. Combined with point inflation (same room types cost more points in newer resorts), more new purchases (direct & resale) appear "tighter" than in the past. So call it small or tight or whatever term we want. But it appears to be driving demand for low seasons in all room types higher than it's been in the past. That's going to be impacted both by more numerous tighter contract and by renter demand who are also affected by the price rises and point inflation.

Point reallocation could help specific times- say, the first two weeks of December, but they'll just shift the problem elsewhere. But tight contracts are always going to have problems at low times with too many owners chasing too few rooms.

I'm not sure what to think about walking and spec reservations. They've always seemed like bugaboos to blame for not being able to get a reservation when you want it- even if there are other bigger causes like high demand time and low numbers of rooms in certain views/sizes. But with folks mentioning they might walk reservations for weeks or months? And not only for themselves, but for rentals or specs? It's not against the rules, but it does seem in poor taste when considering the complaints of owners trying to rent for themselves. But I'd be cautious about any proposed fixes so we don't do more harm than good trying to fix a problem that anyone outside of DVC Management is only able evaluate anecdotally.