home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

Default Is there a better week to go in the summer

We try to avoid going to Disney in the summer, (too %$% hot) but my sister-in-law is hoping to plan a trip for her family, and was asking what I thought about summer. I didn't want to dissuade her, as that may end up being their only choice. Since the latest we ever consider going is the first week of June (but her kids aren't out of school yet), what is the best time of the summer to go? I think her options would be after June 20th until 2nd to last week of August (school starts week before labor day)
Also, this is someone who is not a disney regular, and will probably have a child under 1. So whatever time can save them any hassle would be great

She's also considering Thanksgiving, which is a time we often go, but it would mean her kid misses 2 days of school, which is up to them to decide that issue. , but IMO I would do Thanksgiving over summer.

She also mentioned spring break/Easter, which we did once, and that was horrible for us, so I didn't recommend, but if y'all have good experiences during that time, please pass along sugggestions.

Any input on summer, etc appreciated. Thanks!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

With that schedule I would just say not the 4th of July. The last week of August is usually slower as is the first week of June. Starting mid June through the end of August is all about the same.

Unless her spring break isn't the Easter/Passover week I wouldn't consider that either. We went for ours which is mid March and it wasn't too bad. Summer crowd busy but not near as hot and humid as July or August.

Thanksgiving would be my pick as well.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
BWV2013
One Bedroom

I don't think there is a best week to go between late June and late August, but sometimes that is the only choice you have. We have had to go during that time period a few times to work around the kids schedule. The crowds seem to be a little lower in the 2nd week of August, but you have that lovely Florida humidity to deal with. To make a summer trip enjoyable, we hit the parks early and by mid day go back to the resort to cool off in the pool, then go back to the parks early evening when it starts to cool off a little.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

We tend to stick to Thanksgiving. Weather is cooler and you are only taking them out of school a couple of days.

We went once in July and it was VERY hot, but if that is the only time you can go it's better than not going at all.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

We've been anywhere from June 21-July 15 with the kids, and it was HOT! That said, the kids thoroughly enjoyed it both as little ones and again as teenagers. We got up early and did rope drop, usually staying in the park til 11 or 12. Then we would head back to the resort to nap or play in the pool (or both). We would hit the parks again in the late afternoon when we were refreshed and ready to run. We would sometimes stay to park close, and sometimes not. It just depended on how well the kids were holding up.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

We hate crowds and heat. When we bought DVC we didn't think we'd ever go in summer. But life happens. Kids get older, everybody's schedule gets busy, and suddenly you find yourself going to Disney almost every summer. (This is one reason I think everybody over-plans when first buying into DVC)

Anyway, I can assure you that even a heat and crowd hater can have great vacations in summer. For us, they key is getting up early, getting to the parks as soon as possible, and then getting the heck out before the heat and crowds show and people get miserable. If you've got it in you, go back late at night.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
ktmo
Studio

I am a teacher and pretty much stuck going in the summer. We have been at the end of June and right after the 4th. Yes, it was hot, but very doable. Like others have said- hit the park early and then take a mid day break. It works out well.

Right now, my plan is to go every year right when school ends in June.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
momonthego
Studio

We go in June and it is quite hot. However we know that before we go and just make the best of it. We have been once over Thanksgiving and that would be my preference, however the older my kids get the harder it is to miss school.
momonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
We try to avoid going to Disney in the summer, (too %$% hot) but my sister-in-law is hoping to plan a trip for her family, and was asking what I thought about summer. I didn't want to dissuade her, as that may end up being their only choice. Since the latest we ever consider going is the first week of June (but her kids aren't out of school yet), what is the best time of the summer to go? I think her options would be after June 20th until 2nd to last week of August (school starts week before labor day)
Also, this is someone who is not a disney regular, and will probably have a child under 1. So whatever time can save them any hassle would be great

She's also considering Thanksgiving, which is a time we often go, but it would mean her kid misses 2 days of school, which is up to them to decide that issue. , but IMO I would do Thanksgiving over summer.

She also mentioned spring break/Easter, which we did once, and that was horrible for us, so I didn't recommend, but if y'all have good experiences during that time, please pass along sugggestions.

Any input on summer, etc appreciated. Thanks!
Many schools in the south start in early Aug so later Aug might be the best summer week. Thanksgiving and Easter are crowded beyond comprehension in my experience. If her schools have a fall break in Oct that can be a good week to go.

But I am beginning to think wdw is always crowded. Just go when you want to and accept the crowds .
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
melk
Grand Villa

I would pick the second to last week in August, right before her kids go back to school. Some southern states will already be back that week so maybe not as crowded. But of course, I would pick Thanksgiving over August any day. We've done August twice and it is hotter than the surface of the sun .
melk is offline   Reply With Quote