home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Default Questions about runDisney events

I posted some of these questions on another thread, but it seems that thread has kind of fallen by the wayside....

I am looking at doing a Princess run next year and have a few questions. I am a DVC owner and will be doing the run with a friend who is not an owner, but will be staying with me on my DVC points.

1) DVC members get early registration. Does that extend to my friend if she is staying with me? Or would she have to register on her own during normal registration time?

2) is there transportation to/from the race venue from every hotel on race mornings? Somewhere I saw reference to ‘Disney race resorts’.

3) Also, is there transportation to/from ESPN to pick up race bibs?

4) Would it be easier to get a bus from a resort that has one stop? Or would it matter if we were staying at a resort like SSR which has multiple stops?

5) Is it common for race merch to sell out? i.e. Dooneys??

Any other tips, tricks or hints experienced runDisney participants may have for me would be great....this will be my first runDisney event!! I'd love to be prepared and have it all go smoothly!

ME DH DS21 DD18
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
Doug Disney
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post
I posted some of these questions on another thread, but it seems that thread has kind of fallen by the wayside....

I am looking at doing a Princess run next year and have a few questions. I am a DVC owner and will be doing the run with a friend who is not an owner, but will be staying with me on my DVC points.

1) DVC members get early registration. Does that extend to my friend if she is staying with me? Or would she have to register on her own during normal registration time?

2) is there transportation to/from the race venue from every hotel on race mornings? Somewhere I saw reference to ‘Disney race resorts’.

4) Would it be easier to get a bus from a resort that has one stop? Or would it matter if we were staying at a resort like SSR which has multiple stops?

Any other tips, tricks or hints experienced runDisney participants may have for me would be great....this will be my first runDisney event!! I'd love to be prepared and have it all go smoothly!
My wife and cousins just did the Princess 1/2 and I can answer some questions:

2. Yes they have buses from every hotel except the monorail resorts (you have to take the monorail) to the 1/2, but they have charter buses back to every resort including the monorail resorts.

3. They have charter buses that run from each resort to ESPN. At least on Friday and Saturday.

5. The popular stuff seems to sell out at the Expo (this year there was a Princess 1/2 spirit jersey).

The Princess 1/2 was about 2-3X $'s compared to a 1/2 locally for us, but the extras that Disney pulls out for these races was well worth the extra $'s.

If you stay at BLT (which we did) you can't walk to watch people at MK, I learned that the hard way, you need to take the monorail.
Doug Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #3
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Disney View Post
My wife and cousins just did the Princess 1/2 and I can answer some questions:

2. Yes they have buses from every hotel except the monorail resorts (you have to take the monorail) to the 1/2, but they have charter buses back to every resort including the monorail resorts.

3. They have charter buses that run from each resort to ESPN. At least on Friday and Saturday.

5. The popular stuff seems to sell out at the Expo (this year there was a Princess 1/2 spirit jersey).

The Princess 1/2 was about 2-3X $'s compared to a 1/2 locally for us, but the extras that Disney pulls out for these races was well worth the extra $'s.

If you stay at BLT (which we did) you can't walk to watch people at MK, I learned that the hard way, you need to take the monorail.

I should clarify a few things:

1) It will be either the 5k or 10k that we run.

2) I was debating between either BLT or SSR...maybe a split stay, which I know might be tricky to get.

thanks for the reply!

ME DH DS21 DD18
Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Following along. We were at Disney in January during the marathon. Hubby is an avid runner and informed me we need to participate next year.
WDWGoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
beachclubmum
One Bedroom

I run all the races...they're loads of fun.

Try to plan your trip so you can get to the Expo the morning it opens. Lately the Dooneys haven't been sold out but if you really want one then pre-order it. You lose out in the 20% AP discount though.

I've stayed at most of the dvc resorts for races and it doesn't really matter where you stay. Transportation to the races (as well as the Expo) is very efficient. Book whatever you can at the 11th month (even before its time to register for the race) to secure your room.

Theoretically you should only register yourself BUT I've heard they've added a feature (actually brought it back) that allows you to register your whole party at once. Not sure what the limitations are on this...read the fine print. Make sure you register when the window opens....go through the DVC page for the DvC early registration. 10k sells out the fastest, along with the Challenge.
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
iheartglaciers
Studio

I think most of your questions have been answered, but I'll comments on 3 & 5.

3) There are buses that are supposed to run I think every ~20 mins from resorts to the expo. But we waited forever for a bus from BWV, and when one finally came it was already full and only a couple of us could get on. My sister and I eventually took an Uber.

5) Popular items definitely sell out (the new princess RunDisney spirit jersey sold out by lunch time on the first expo day). A few items are available on pre-order, a special jacket and the Dooneys, but like a previous poster said you don't get your discount. The pre-order jacket was also available at the expo, but was sold out in size small (at least by the time I got there on the second expo day)

This was my first Princess Half and it was so much fun! I definitely recommend doing it :-)
Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post

I just registered this morning for the Wine & Dine 10K. This will be my third runDisney event.

As a PP said the events for runDisney are wildly popular and sell out pretty quickly during the early registration. The early registration for the 10K opened at 10:00am this morning and I just checked and the 10K is sold out for early registration. But, the other events still had openings.

I successfully registered 5 people this morning -- myself, DH, DD16, and two BFF's. The website does ask for each guest if they are/aren't a DVC member and I did state that my two BFF's were not DVC members, and that didn't seem to be a problem (maybe because they are traveling and staying with me?).

I will say [for me] I don't find the runDisney events to be very organized. For example this morning when I logged in to the DVC website shortly after 10:00 EDT the link was up, but when you clicked on it, the early registration was not up on the runDisney site (the DVC website takes you to the runDisney website for registration). The runDisney site didn't start taking registrations until about 10:20 EDT. I find this very annoying because you have no idea if you are making a mistake or if the runDisney website isn't working -- it would be nice if they would tell you something on the landing page -- but, they don't. I also find the maze at the expo for getting your paperwork and number not very organized either (at least as a first timer). The second time I went back it was easier to navigate, but IMO it could be WAY more organized.

Also, trying to figure out exactly when early registration will open can be challenging. They don't seem to put that information out there too far in advance of when the registration actually opens. I'd say start calling runDisney about 10 - 12 days before the registration opens for the general public. The DVC website does not have the information on the races for when early registration starts, you have to find that on the runDisney website or by calling a runDisney CM.

Yes, as a PP said there is a link at the bottom of the first page on the right to register multiple people in one transaction. It took me my third time through to figure this out. It isn't very obvious and you don't save any money using it (they still charge the service fee for each registration).

Definitely get to the Expo early if at all possible. It just makes it so much easier for picking up your bib and if you want any merchandise you will have the best chance for selection. As other's said you can pre-order merch when you register for the event. I have done this in the past and it does make things go smoother for me since I don't like shopping all that much and the lines to pay can be very long.

I think pretty much all the resorts run buses to event the morning of the race. We stayed at BCV last year and found the bus to be really easy both coming and going to the resort. Make a reservation at the 11 month window and if you want to try and move at 7 months give it a go. Rooms will sell out over the runDisney event weekend.

I do think they run transportation over to the expo to get your bib, but I always have a car so I'm not positive, but I would think they do.

Sorry if this is a jumbled mess Hope it is helpful! Have fun training and at the runDisney event!

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:00 AM   #8
GoofyCoaster
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Tried logging on through AP site this evening to register. 5K and 10K were already sold out. Half marathon still had openings. Guess I’ll set an alarm reminder on my phone and try again for the general registration.
GoofyCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:10 PM   #9
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Thank you all for your replies! The info is much appreciated!

So, right now I have our reservations and plan to do the Princess 5K next year. I'm hoping to switch resorts at the 7mo mark, but we'll see how that goes. It will be the first time I've seen my friend in ~5 years (I live in MI and she lives in MN). Should be fun!!

ETA: they don't do DVC pre-registration or discount for the virtual runs, do they??

ME DH DS21 DD18
Old 04-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #10
Cjkmiller
One Bedroom

Only tip I would add to the others is that the doors to the expo generally open 30 minutes prior on opening day than advertised, however buses don’t get to the expo till opening. So if you take an Uber or car and get there by 9:15, you can miss a lot of the craziness before the resort buses show up.
Cjkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote