home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #11
FCivish3
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DVCer View Post
Has anyone listed their points with multiple brokers at the same time or also posted to RTB as well as with a broker?
I haven't listed the same points with two different brokers, but I have multiple contracts at 3 different resorts, so there have been times when I listed one set of points with one broker and the other points with another broker. I have been pleased to work with all of them. They do things slightly differently, but that is okay. David's might be slightly easier.

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #12
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I have never rented my points with a broker, I see the value of it being easy, I just prefer to not split my fee with a broker... but, anyway -- don't the US Brokers send you a 1099 for the rental? Just one more thing to think of when you rent your points, you have to report that as income and pay taxes to uncle Sam.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:13 AM   #13
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

I guess if you want to use a broker and deal with 1099s, less $$ per point, only getting half your money upfront, and never knowing or vetting your own renters (you are liable not the broker), do your thing.

I agree with cmr, rent yourself. Itís easy. Always rent in a day or two. Get top dollar and all money upfront.
ďToo many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.Ē ~Walt Disney

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #14
VA_DVCer
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
DVC points rent easily and quickly. There is no reason to list them in multiple places. Just figure out how youíd rather rent and list your points in that one place.
Trying one place and it's been nothing in 5 days. Points are BWV and outside the 7 month window. I figured there'd be at least a nibble, but not zero. If it doesn't pan out next week I'll look to list somewhere else or use the RTB.
VA_DVCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #15
VA_DVCer
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
The contract you sign with Davidís states that you will not list the points you have listed with them elsewhere. I imagine the other brokers will have similar clauses.
That would make sense. Double checked my contract. The broker I'm using does not have any language whatsoever to this effect.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #16
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
That would make sense. Double checked my contract. The broker I'm using does not have any language whatsoever to this effect.
Interesting.

I will say I listed my points with Davidís with some trepidation. I have a December use year and so I kinda knew the availability would be dicey. I wasnít necessarily expecting to get the premium rate. However I got an email within 2 days and had it booked.

They were really good to work with. Answered all my questions on chat promptly, got emails every step of the way thanking me. And the money was in my account within 24 hours. Iíd use them again without any worries.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #17
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Trying one place and it's been nothing in 5 days. Points are BWV and outside the 7 month window. I figured there'd be at least a nibble, but not zero. If it doesn't pan out next week I'll look to list somewhere else or use the RTB.
Hmmm.... I listed SSR points with David and every point, including all 25 of the extra point allowance I gave was gone before lunch on the morning that I listed them. It was in 2 different ressies, so I had a busy morning booking rooms, returning conf emails, acknowledging contracts and booking DDP but my points were rented with very little effort on my part, just busy because it was 2 ressies back to back.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #18
FCivish3
One Bedroom

Quote:
First, I would actually call the broker (or at least email them) and make sure they have the required information from your points. It is possible that the previous messages were overlooked or lost, though I have never heard of that happening. Second, by contacting them, you are showing them that you are seriously interested in doing the rental. This will tend to move you towards the top of the list. I have found the people at David's (and all the brokers) to ALL BE SUPER NICE, EASY TO TALK TO, AND GLAD TO TAKE YOUR PHONE CALL.

I have rented points with all the brokers on several occasions, and have done repeat business a few times with them. I have generally been notified of a potential renter within hours to days. However, there was one occasion when it took about a week.

Don't worry, with your 'deadline' being so far out, I am very very sure that your points will rent out. So, just make sure they have them on their list correctly.

The only times when you really might have trouble renting out is when you have only a short time before the points expire (usually 3 or 4 months or less), especially when that short time is during a period where everything has already been rented out, such as October - December at Food and Wine. They can't rent out your points if all the available DVC rooms have already been booked.

They can only do the rentals when people approach them. But eventually, someone is sure to approach them. So the question usually comes down to, HOW FAR OUT are you able to schedule, and ARE THERE ANY RESORTS THAT ARE STILL AVAILABLE TO BOOK DURING THAT TIME.

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #19
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I have never rented my points with a broker, I see the value of it being easy, I just prefer to not split my fee with a broker... but, anyway -- don't the US Brokers send you a 1099 for the rental? Just one more thing to think of when you rent your points, you have to report that as income and pay taxes to uncle Sam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
I guess if you want to use a broker and deal with 1099s, less $$ per point, only getting half your money upfront, and never knowing or vetting your own renters (you are liable not the broker), do your thing.

I agree with cmr, rent yourself. Itís easy. Always rent in a day or two. Get top dollar and all money upfront.
Of course, even if one rents themselves, taxes are still due, even with no 1099.

I have no objection to cheating on taxes in this manner (really I don't ), but the taxes are actually due (legally) in either case.

Cheers.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #20
VA_DVCer
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
First, I would actually call the broker (or at least email them) and make sure they have the required information from your points. It is possible that the previous messages were overlooked or lost, though I have never heard of that happening. Second, by contacting them, you are showing them that you are seriously interested in doing the rental. This will tend to move you towards the top of the list. I have found the people at David's (and all the brokers) to ALL BE SUPER NICE, EASY TO TALK TO, AND GLAD TO TAKE YOUR PHONE CALL.

I have rented points with all the brokers on several occasions, and have done repeat business a few times with them. I have generally been notified of a potential renter within hours to days. However, there was one occasion when it took about a week.

Don't worry, with your 'deadline' being so far out, I am very very sure that your points will rent out. So, just make sure they have them on their list correctly.

The only times when you really might have trouble renting out is when you have only a short time before the points expire (usually 3 or 4 months or less), especially when that short time is during a period where everything has already been rented out, such as October - December at Food and Wine. They can't rent out your points if all the available DVC rooms have already been booked.

They can only do the rentals when people approach them. But eventually, someone is sure to approach them. So the question usually comes down to, HOW FAR OUT are you able to schedule, and ARE THERE ANY RESORTS THAT ARE STILL AVAILABLE TO BOOK DURING THAT TIME.
Good feedback. I have been in contact with the other broker immediately after I processed the paperwork and as well a couple days ago to make sure everything was right.

I also understand there is only a small window between 7 months and my Dec use year. And to be blunt, my deadline is probably unrealistic. I procrastinate forever about even listing the points and now want immediate results. A week isn't that long. I can certainly go a lot longer before I would start a fire sale on the RTB. But, I am surprised to get no inquiries in a week. Typically, it hasn't taken me more than a week to rent any points on RTB -- even before it was possible to check on the web and required constant calls to member services.