home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-31-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
mark0157
One Bedroom

Default Is 7-nights too much?

We are finally planning our first Disney cruise vacation and we were thinking of starting with a 4-night. We really only care about Castaway.

We thought the 7-night would be too long to be stuck on a boat with our kids (who at the time of the cruise would be 4, 6, and 9).

However, after reading much here on MO it sounds like everyone would go for the 7-night if they can budget for it.

I know they have childcare on-board, so we can likely have plenty of kid free time, but being stuck in a tiny room for 7 nights is what worries me.

Anyone with kids this age have any thoughts...the younger two fight constantly, so there's that to drive me crazy.

Last edited by mark0157; 03-31-2018 at 07:16 PM.
mark0157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Even without kids 7 nights are too many for any trip. So, yes.

Cheers.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
choosymom
Two Bedroom

For a first cruise, I would say yes. Into you know how everyone likes it's and does at Sea it would be a little long.
For staying at Disney heck no, 9, 10, 20, it's all good.

choosymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Will you be sober? Then, yes!

My kids are grown, but this made my head hurt a little...
Old 03-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
mark0157
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post

Haha! Exactly...unless we could afford the Royal Suite (which runs about 20k for a week) those rooms look so small and even smaller when picturing my 3 kids running around!!
mark0157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

For a first time I suggest the 4 night cruise. 7 nights will be a long time if you guys wind up not liking it IMO.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #7
virtuoso1980
One Bedroom

If you care about Castaway Cay, I would suggest a 5 night double dip instead. Our very first was that, and it felt very short. You mentioned the room being small. It really is only for sleeping, and preparing for dinner. For the most part you will be outside of your room, as well the kids will be. We feel that even seven nights are too short for us now.
virtuoso1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
A Prince and A Princess
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We have been on five 7 night Disney cruises with our kids and felt they were too short. The first cruise my kids were 5 and 9 months and we went 5 consecutive years in a row with my parents. I feel the first day cannot hardly be counted because the muster drill is so late in the afternoon that you are watching your watch to make sure you aren't late. The last day you are off right away in the morning so it seems short. The kids programming is AMAZING and you will probably be begging your kids to spend some time with you. I agree with the previous poster that you are barely in your room and when you are there, you are so exhausted from the super fun day that you fall asleep immediately so you don't even notice the size of the room. Castaway Cay is the BEST! I also thought meeting the characters was so much better on the ship than in WDW. Meeting them on the ship meant we didn't have to stand in line at the parks anymore.

The last two summers we have been on a 14 day Baltic cruise and a 12 day Mediterranean cruise (on Holland America) and we leave those wishing we had more days. There is just so much to do on a cruise that you can't possibly fit it all in.

I say go for 7 if your budget allows. You will have a great time no matter what you choose.
A Prince and A Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
PartPixie
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post

We love the 7 night cruises, DD was 9 the first time we did a 7 nights. But with kids that age? I'm not sure I would brave it.
PartPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
J9W
Studio

I only have 1 kid and he is 5 now but I never see him - he goes to kids club and never wants to come out. 7 days gives you time to get through your dining rotation, see all of the shows, enjoy movies etc

Four for us feels short - day one is one the boat like others said and the last night is spent making sure you are organised to get off the boat the next day.

But it isn't for everyone so try what you can afford but I would agree the 5 day double dip would be a great first experience.
J9W is offline   Reply With Quote