home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
CAS9RN3
Studio

Default Port arrival time

Hello everyone! We are cruising this summer. The last time we cruised, July 2014 and Feb. 2015, when we did our on line registration we were given a letter, if I remember correctly, that corresponded with being allowed on the boat. I distinctly remember being happy with a B or C as it was an earlier boarding time. A few weeks ago our on line registration opened and I was allowed to pick 'port arrival time'. This is different. Please enlighten me on this 'new to me' port arrival time. Thank you, Cindy
CAS9RN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Rigby
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS9RN3 View Post
Hello everyone! We are cruising this summer. The last time we cruised, July 2014 and Feb. 2015, when we did our on line registration we were given a letter, if I remember correctly, that corresponded with being allowed on the boat. I distinctly remember being happy with a B or C as it was an earlier boarding time. A few weeks ago our on line registration opened and I was allowed to pick 'port arrival time'. This is different. Please enlighten me on this 'new to me' port arrival time. Thank you, Cindy
When we boarded our cruise this February we were able to select a specific time. Worked out great. Showed up and got on the boat without any wait. If I'm remembering correctly it was like that last year too. Hope you have a great trip!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I don't think you get that option if you use Disney transportation from the resort to the ship. They tell you the night before. As long as I don't have to wait too long for my stateroom, I'm OK with it.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
mousefan1972
Grand Villa

So this is how it works... I just got off the Fantasy on Saturday and it was our 7th DCL cruise, so I'm pretty familiar with the procedure. When you do on line check in, you select a port arrival time. This is NOT the time you will board the ship. We are Gold CC members and I chose the earliest PAT, which is 10:30-10:45. When you check in at the desk, you are given a boarding group number. Ours was number 2. Number 1 is for Platinum level CC and Concierge guests. Boarding began around 11:30. We were onboard eating lunch in Cabanas at 11:45.
If you arrive later in the day, say after 1:00 (like I'm guessing Rigby did), by then it will usually be open boarding so you can board the ship immediately after you check in at the desk. Also if you are using DCL transfers, you will not get a port arrival time because you will get there when the bus gets there. Which is usually after 1-1:30. We quickly changed to private transfers after our first cruise when we arrived at the port at nearly 2:00! Didn't make that mistake again.. hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
mousefan1972
Grand Villa

Staterooms are available beginning at 1:30. So if you are on the ship prior to then, you will need to carry your stuff around with you. (carryons only, the porters take your big suitcases)
Old 04-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Quellman
Grand Villa

I find in practice they don't really look at your port arrival time to actually let you in to the port nor the terminal. That is unless you are trying to get there at like 930am. Otherwise it is designed to spread out the people arriving so it isn't a total huge wait.

We thought we were going to hit the sweet spot a few weeks ago arriving around noon. This is when most people should already be there and the DCL busses haven't arrived. Nope it was a huge mess for some reason. Even baggage drop off was nuts and not typical.

But we had a good PAT time, and in turn got a good boarding number, meaning we didn't wait. It appears a lot of people arrived early and had boarding numbers to correspond so they were still hanging out in the terminal whil I went to Enchanted Garden for lunch.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan1972 View Post
So this is how it works... I just got off the Fantasy on Saturday and it was our 7th DCL cruise, so I'm pretty familiar with the procedure. When you do on line check in, you select a port arrival time. This is NOT the time you will board the ship. We are Gold CC members and I chose the earliest PAT, which is 10:30-10:45. When you check in at the desk, you are given a boarding group number. Ours was number 2. Number 1 is for Platinum level CC and Concierge guests. Boarding began around 11:30. We were onboard eating lunch in Cabanas at 11:45.
If you arrive later in the day, say after 1:00 (like I'm guessing Rigby did), by then it will usually be open boarding so you can board the ship immediately after you check in at the desk. Also if you are using DCL transfers, you will not get a port arrival time because you will get there when the bus gets there. Which is usually after 1-1:30. We quickly changed to private transfers after our first cruise when we arrived at the port at nearly 2:00! Didn't make that mistake again.. hope this helps.
What is wrong with getting on the ship at 2pm? It sounds perfect.

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Old 04-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
mrskzrooster
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
What is wrong with getting on the ship at 2pm? It sounds perfect.
It is your first day on the ship and lots of activities are open so you basically waste the first ship day by arriving at 2.
We like to get on the ship as early as possible to get a spot by the pool, lunch and the spa activities we like. Also is great to get lunch and start vacation.
mrskzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskzrooster View Post
It is your first day on the ship and lots of activities are open so you basically waste the first ship day by arriving at 2.
We like to get on the ship as early as possible to get a spot by the pool, lunch and the spa activities we like. Also is great to get lunch and start vacation.
Shhhhhhhhh

donít tell everybody, that just makes it harder for us......😘
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Getting on at 11:30 vs 2 to sit in cabanas with my carry-ons. No big attraction for me.

BCV BWV BLT VGC