home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you buy the dining plan?
Always 6 3.85%
Occasionally 41 26.28%
Never 105 67.31%
One day soon 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #51
dawnanne
One Bedroom

It was worth it for us when we had "Disney kids". CS meals do not differentiate between adult and kids so we could make them last. It was also worth it when we had a stowaway on one trip. Otherwise it would have been approx 50% more than what we actually spent.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #52
Buzz Lightyear Towers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnanne View Post
It was worth it for us when we had "Disney kids". CS meals do not differentiate between adult and kids so we could make them last. It was also worth it when we had a stowaway on one trip. Otherwise it would have been approx 50% more than what we actually spent.
You have to watch out for those stowaways!!!

AKV, BLT, BWV, and PVB are my home resorts. :
Buzz Lightyear Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #53
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We rarely do dessert. We also like appetizers. Maybe split a main, but often just a set of appies. Also, DS has good happy hours at various places, so we go in for that as well.

We've been eating so much less that even TiW no longer makes sense for us.

Cheers.
I agree. We were big fans of TIW but with the price increase and the better AP/DVC discounts it didn't make sense for us this last trip. I might consider it if we had a larger group, but still not sure.

We rarely get dessert either. But if I feel that I want dessert, I generally just have a salad or an appetizer instead of a full meal. That just wouldn't fly on the dining plan.

And for those that feel there is less pressure because it is "already paid for" - personally I would feel more pressure - God forbid nobody is hungry when we already paid for all this food! But, like resort and park preferences - to each his own!
Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #54
OLDDISNUT
One Bedroom

We only have done the dinning plan when our grandkids have be on the trip with us and we do a lot of character dinners or buffets. All other times we do TIW and now the AP/DVC discounts. We don't eat many deserts, but like appetizers so TIW works out better.
OLDDISNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #55
cde48
Two Bedroom

Use to be worth the price when it first came about. Around $40 or so each night, for an adult. Use to include the tip, Appetizer, entree, snack, QS...it was great. I don't know how Disney can literally justify a $30 Price increase in just over 10 years. Food cost has not increased that much in a decade.
cde48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #56
anne122679
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde48 View Post
Use to be worth the price when it first came about. Around $40 or so each night, for an adult. Use to include the tip, Appetizer, entree, snack, QS...it was great. I don't know how Disney can literally justify a $30 Price increase in just over 10 years. Food cost has not increased that much in a decade.
Not only did food prices not increase that much, but Disney removed the tip and appetizer.
anne122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #57
beemertec
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
I agree. We were big fans of TIW but with the price increase and the better AP/DVC discounts it didn't make sense for us this last trip. I might consider it if we had a larger group, but still not sure.

We rarely get dessert either. But if I feel that I want dessert, I generally just have a salad or an appetizer instead of a full meal. That just wouldn't fly on the dining plan.

And for those that feel there is less pressure because it is "already paid for" - personally I would feel more pressure - God forbid nobody is hungry when we already paid for all this food! But, like resort and park preferences - to each his own!
I still like TIW because it includes alcohol. If they started letting our AP or DVC discounts work towards alcohol, it would be bye bye TiW.

beemertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #58
BugsDad
Grand Villa

We've run the numbers a few times and it just seems too expensive. Also, sometimes we leave for pizza at Flippers and almost always do Sweet Tomatoes at least once. I don't see us buying the plan anytime soon.

BugsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #59
Alix1912
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but one of the reasons we bought DVC was for the full kitchen in the 1, 2 & 3 bdrms. My family enjoys the flexibility of being able to prepare meals in the room instead of the relying on food in the parks/WDW restaurants.
^^^^^^^THIS 100%%%%% ^^^^^^^

I would rather save money and time by making breakfast in the room, and packing the basics of lunch, water, and some snacks in our packs. We then supplement with a bit of quick service, and save our money for fun dining splurges. Why pay for a full kitchen and not use it??
Alix1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #60
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Pretty much solely table service for me, so Tables in Wonderland works quite well. Especially since I often order a selection of appetizers in lieu of an entree. And alcohol as well.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote