home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you buy the dining plan?
Always 6 3.85%
Occasionally 41 26.28%
Never 105 67.31%
One day soon 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #31
swat08
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox147 View Post
We always get the dining plan it just makes sense for our family right now. Our kids are both under 9 and we do a lot of character meals. Also I'm in the group of, I like that it is taken care of ahead of time. I look at all of the things I "waste" money o at Disney such as balloon or toys that will get broken quickly. We do use the plan to its full extent. Would I eat dessert everyday at home? No way but I am on vacation and I just go for it!
This is our family too!
swat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #32
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

We have gotten it in the past, but not since all the changes started. We did it when it included appetizers and desserts, etc. and was what I considered a reasonable cost. I would not do it at today's cost and what I think of as a lack of value.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #33
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

They lost me many years ago.

Those first years of the plan were fantastic. But each year they take away more, add more cost and made it a non-value plan.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #34
T1lersm0m
Grand Villa

I did it a few times in the past, but have no plans on doing it again.

Our last time was 2011 for "free" dining. I booked a moderate so we could get the regular dining plan rather than the quick service one.

FW Feb 2001
FW March 2004
AKL August 2004
DL July 2005
PC September 2006
All Star Sports September 2007
PC December 2009
POFQ January 2011 (cold year!)
Offsite March 2012
CS November 2012
Offsite November/December 2013
OKW December 2014
AKV November 2015
HHI December 2016 (one night only)
SSR December 2016
T1lersm0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #35
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Amber View Post
The savings margin is so slim that you can't have anything go wrong or you will lose money- one vegan, one picky kid, one family member who is dieting- it seems like any of these situations within your party will scrap any potential savings. The AP discounts this year have worked much better for us, especially those places offering 20%.
We had all of the above 2 weeks ago. A vegan child that gets really sick when they eat prohibited items, a real picky kid that only likes Mexican food (nachos, beans and cheese, no meat, no nuggets, no fish) and a few weight watchers.
We had a 2bdr. I bought a bag of red beans and some brown rice and the vegan child and picky child were happy all week.
$300 worth of groceries and done for 9 people, 4 nights including wine and spirits. No ADR's.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #36
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

I voted occasionally but I have only bought it once. This last December trip. Though I like the convenience, it was a PIA.

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #37
Karlie
Studio

We have done it once and we quite enjoyed it for the convenience. Will we do it again ? Probably not because it's not any cheaper for our family. Also, we like to eat offsite trying other restaurants as well.
Karlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #38
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

One reason is it cost us double for food. Why? Teenage boys who don't listen to their Mother when they are told we have the dining plan and to use the credits when they are out and about. What do they do?......Pay cash for all their meals! Of course, once they got it through their heads that we had it, they were in heaven as they had a lot of credits to use up (not a problem for growing teenage boys the size of football players!!!)
WDWGoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #39
pdude81
Grand Villa

My family got the deluxe dining plan as part of our November cash trip to Disney. We booked in deluxe resorts to get an idea of what DVC accomodations would be like and under the guide of a travel agent that assured us in all previous years we'd qualify for 20-30% off promos later on (which were VERY limited when disney actually announced the deals). Anyway, we stuck with the rooms because we still wanted to learn about DVC without spending 20k+ and got the Deluxe Dining Plan. This was really good for us because we planned a ton of character meals with our toddler and went during F+W.

There were some calculations run, and the numbers were in the ballpark, so we decided that it was worth not having to think about the cost of what we ordered on the menus. Again, for this trip I was very happy we had the DDP, since we didn't have any other discounts on table service restaurants and didn't have to think too much about what was included. Really EVERYTHING was included. Now that we have those discounts through DVC and can run the numbers on TiW, I'm not sure if we'll ever get it again in the future. That is, unless we decide it's better to book a cash trip with free dining and rent out some of our points.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #40
anne122679
One Bedroom

We'll occasionally get it if we're doing a one night split stay and the kids want to do a character dining experience. Typically we'll eat one meal in the park and the rest in our room. Most of the time I'd rather eat an appetizer as my meal instead of ordering an entree. My kids prefer to eat off of the adult menu instead of the kid's menu, so we order them something to split.

Before we were DVC we'd get the dining plan, but now that we have access to a kitchen the dining plan doesn't work well for us. Both my husband and I enjoy cooking, so cooking on vacation is just another way we relax. I also understand the appeal of the refillable mugs, but they aren't for us. We don't bring any bags with us into the parks, so using the mugs means we go to the mug station, get what we want, and go back to the room to deposit our cups.
anne122679 is offline   Reply With Quote