home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Default Delta Versus Southwest

For the first time in forever.... (sorry), I have found a Delta flight that is considerably cheaper than Southwest for our return from MCO to RDU. I know I need to factor in baggage fees to the base cost, but is there anything else I have to pay for on Delta? It has been a long time since I have flown anything but Southwest and I know other airlines can nickel and dime you to pieces.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
For the first time in forever.... (sorry), I have found a Delta flight that is considerably cheaper than Southwest for our return from MCO to RDU. I know I need to factor in baggage fees to the base cost, but is there anything else I have to pay for on Delta? It has been a long time since I have flown anything but Southwest and I know other airlines can nickel and dime you to pieces.
I don't know, but now that song is stuck in my head! . Hope someone can help you out!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Well, zipitty-do-dah, Mindy. Hope that helped.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I don't know, but now that song is stuck in my head! .

ETA: I haven’t flown Delta in years. At least they aren’t one of those cheapo airlines that only offer the bare necessities the simple bare necessities....

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post

ETA: I havenít flown Delta in years. At least they arenít one of those cheapo airlines that only offer the bare necessities the simple bare necessities....
I get it... Lol!
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

I just checked Delta for our October trip and while the fares were comparable to SW for those dates, there were no direct flights. We're not looking to spend an additional 2-1/2 traveling (I mean "sitting").

We'll look again for our next trip.

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
mrskzrooster
One Bedroom

We only fly Delta and they have no extra charges once you pay for your bags. It is cheaper to pay for them when you check in then at the gate so know how many bags you have before you check in. Delta will overbook on occasion and those without seats (basic economy) are at risk to not board if they can't find someone to give up their seat.
We love Delta at our house. SW isn't a option from our airport so we fly Delta.
mrskzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
I just booked a Delta flight for the first time in .... ? I cannot even say.

Delta does have a "Basic Economy" class which does not allow you to choose a seat in advance. So if choosing seats together in advance is a must, make sure the fare you are looking at is not their Basic Economy class, but their "Main Cabin" class instead. Basic Economy on some other airlines does not allow for a regular sized carry-on, but it appears Delta does still allow you to bring a carry-on with a Basic Economy ticket. Of course checked bag fees still apply to all economy fares.

AND I might need to watch Frozen now!
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

After spending a week of "quality" time together, I think I will be ok, if I don't sit next to DH. If my one checked bag is the only extra charge, then I am still about $70 less than Southwest, which like I said, has not happened in .....
just a really long time.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
IslaTurbine
One Bedroom

Come fly with us at Delta. I hope that you'll enjoy the experience. If you have kiddos, be sure to have them ask the pilots for some Delta airplane trading cards.
IslaTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote