home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Default DME or car service?

We are flying in on November 10 this year, so the day before Veterans Day. Our plane lands at 9:45am. Last time we did this, it seems like DME was a disaster. For those that regularly travel during this time frame, is it likely to be terribly busy again? And should I just go ahead and book the car service? Iíve gotten a bit spoiled to the short waits, and last year made my head swim! I think I head one of the CMís telling a family ahead of me that they had 18000 flying in that day and 14000 flying out.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
We are flying in on November 10 this year, so the day before Veterans Day. Our plane lands at 9:45am. Last time we did this, it seems like DME was a disaster. For those that regularly travel during this time frame, is it likely to be terribly busy again? And should I just go ahead and book the car service? Iíve gotten a bit spoiled to the short waits, and last year made my head swim! I think I head one of the CMís telling a family ahead of me that they had 18000 flying in that day and 14000 flying out.
Did last year coincide with a race day? Trying to get around the runDisney course can make DME take forever
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I don’t remember anything race related, but I wasn’t paying that much attention. I just remember it being Veterans Day weekend and waiting at the airport for 1 1/2- 1 3/4 hours for DME. Lines were obscenely long

Just went back and looked. The race weekend was first weekend in November last year. So that wasn’t a contributing factor.

Last edited by ermindy1133; 07-11-2018 at 01:55 PM.
ermindy1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
I don’t remember anything race related, but I wasn’t paying that much attention. I just remember it being Veterans Day weekend and waiting at the airport for 1 1/2- 1 3/4 hours for DME. Lines were obscenely long
Looks like the race was on the 5th last year so that would be the weekend before. The only time I've ever had a really long trip was on saturday of marathon weekend this year, when we waited on the bus for quite a while and then took the longest possible route to get around the HM course to our hotels. Since it didn't appear to be race-related and won't this year either I can't be much help. If you've always had quicker service on other trips though, it might be worth winging it and calling a trying to book a taxi/shuttle from mears on site if DME is wrecked.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Fiveresorts
Banned

That must have been abnormal. We go often and usually our bus is there waiting for us when we get in line. I think they wait 20-30 minutes after the bus arrives before it leaves for the resorts.
Fiveresorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
That alone is enough reason to hire a car or the like. We haven't done DME in a while since we had a 3 hour wait. No thanks...
Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:

Just went back and looked. The race weekend was first weekend in November last year. So that wasn’t a contributing factor.
coincide with Jersey week as well? That seems to add a lot more people to the mix.

an hour and a half is absurd though. The most I've waited at the airport was about 20 or 30 minutes.

As an aside -- I believe Uber/Lyft can do pick ups from MCO now, so I would plan on using DME -- but if it's crazy busy, you could easily book an Uber immediately (uber xl should be large enough). It would be cheaper than a car service.

ETA -- plus if you did it this way, your luggage would already be tagged and en route to your hotel, so you wouldn't have to worry about carrying a bunch of luggage around.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
coincide with Jersey week as well? That seems to add a lot more people to the mix.

an hour and a half is absurd though. The most I've waited at the airport was about 20 or 30 minutes.

As an aside -- I believe Uber/Lyft can do pick ups from MCO now, so I would plan on using DME -- but if it's crazy busy, you could easily book an Uber immediately (uber xl should be large enough). It would be cheaper than a car service.

ETA -- plus if you did it this way, your luggage would already be tagged and en route to your hotel, so you wouldn't have to worry about carrying a bunch of luggage around.

Yeah. I have DME already scheduled, and will use if not too busy. DH and I donít mind the bus as long as the wait isnít crazy. I should have just taken a service to the resort last year. I just didnít think about it until I had already waited forever. I just donít want to start my vacation off with an extended wait at the airport.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #9
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
That alone is enough reason to hire a car or the like. We haven't done DME in a while since we had a 3 hour wait. No thanks...
Iíve seriously never seen anything like that! The lines for DME were backed up almost to the baggage claim area! Well, we were at the last baggage claim belt at one point. Just nuts!
Old 07-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
carolina_yankee
Administrator

the NJEA Convention is Nov 8-9 so that will be the end of the Jersey Week. However, Monday, Nov 12 will be Veterans Day holiday. My bet is that Saturday won't be as bad as it could be otherwise. The Jersey folk will already be there and will have no need to head home until Sunday or Monday.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote