home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #61
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

I was leaving the room on our trip last month and saw the housekeeper. Mrs. Rowrbazzle and two of the kids were staying behind to take a nap. I asked the housekeeper if she could do the trash and service now because my family would be napping. She told me that they wouldn't enter if the sign was on the door (which it was). I thought, "maybe they've actually started respecting the sign..."

This is completely unacceptable.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #62
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
Supposedly they have a tool that quickly defeats that inside flip-bar. The lock they can easily over-ride.

best,

.............john
They do! One time at check-in the flip lock was on the door. They broke out the took to try to unlock the door.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #63
MMC1
Grand Villa

I used the plastic Do Not Disturb Signs (the ones that used to hang on doorknob) at Boardwalk to release that swing lock.
I have also used a plastic library card to open door for neighbor while she was getting an expensive locksmith estimate on my phone ... that was before cell phones & when a neighbor actually knocked on the door and a friendly neighbor actually answered.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #64
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

I feel for all the stories I just read in the thread. I am thankful that this has not happened to us, and MS has always been polite and respectful when we have been around for the checks.

While I do not agree that a hotel room is a private sanctuary, invasion and subsequent barging around is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed. The bathroom should absolutely be off limits unless invited in. They should never enter that room without checking with any present guests first. Period. Fine, we run some risk of people hanging their guns to dry in the shower, but there must be some balance between safety, regulation and privacy.

To that end, I would certainly sign a petition, send an email, or otherwise get behind some effort to curb the behavior.

The news outlets is likely the best way to get their attention, that would require people to step forward and share their stories.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #65
Happy Pixie
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

This is predictable from their policy and has to be addressed. At some point, it will be a male housekeeper and a teen girl in the shower, and there will be lawsuits and arrests.

Dirk
I dont think just a teen girl situation is the only cause for a lawsuit or arrest. With all the sick people in this world, an assault from a housekeeper ignoring a request to leave truly is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
There arenít ďdo no disturbĒ signs anymore, just ď room occupiedĒ signs.

If that had been me I think my instinct would have been to scream the place down. I donít even know if I would have the composure to go down to the front desk, in the heat of the moment I might be bolting the door and calling 911.
Maybe more screaming is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickipedia View Post
This issue needs a larger protest/ movement - perhaps we can send a letter signed by a large # of MO owners to DVC management.

I can't believe there's not regulatory issues in FL against walking in on undressed room guests.
Letters to the higher ups (above the resort level) is what will cause change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
Hmmm. I may sit around my villa naked as my new strategy to get on ROTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyteach View Post
I agree. We should not HAVE to have the night lock on if the Room Occupied sign is on the door. They need to respect the sign.

Quote:
I wonder what Disney would do if a guest remained naked after the housekeeper barged in and the housekeeper complained that they the guest wouldnít clothe him or herself.

This whole scenario is fraught with potential harm to the guest or the employee, even a simple misunderstanding that could rise to a criminal complaint. Iím truly surprised that Disney has decided itís good policy to expose [sic] themselves and their guests to such risks.

Dirk
I agree, keep it safe for both guest and CM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
Definitely!

Too many things that could go very wrong here. Just off the top of my head ...

Guest in shower gets startled slips in shower injuring themself.
Family member returns to room just in time to hear another family member screaming at stranger in bathroom causing the grab first heavy object in sight and attack intruder reaction.
Guest with heart condition resting in room while rest of family is out.
Couple on honeymoon doing what honeymooners do in the middle of the afternoon forgets to put the safety latch on door ....
The list could go on and on.

It will only take one public lawsuit and another policy will be in place.
Happy Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #66
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I did not see the person myself. I just heard the shouting. By the time I found my glasses and put my robe on, the CM had gone. I do believe that if my daughter had not gotten insistent, that they would have barged in while I was in the shower. Language may have been an issue, as well. I have noticed that housekeeping does not always understand what is being said.
It’s funny how many in how many languages No means No. It really is inexcusable to continue to attempt entry - to a bathroom where the expectation should be that the individual will not be dressed, at least from the bottom down - after being told No.

If the boundary is ever crossed, I will be down at the front desk nearly instantly informing the CM that if the manager is not in front of me in 2 minutes, I’m filing a report of attempted sexual assault, and that will be said loud enough for everyone nearby to hear.

If someone barges in on me while I”m in the bathroom after being told no, the only motive that comes to mind is to do me harm and that’s getting reported.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #67
sawickipedia
One Bedroom

Quote:
Itís funny how many in how many languages No means No. It really is inexcusable to continue to attempt entry - to a bathroom where the expectation should be that the individual will not be dressed, at least from the bottom down - after being told No.

If the boundary is ever crossed, I will be down at the front desk nearly instantly informing the CM that if the manager is not in front of me in 2 minutes, Iím filing a report of attempted sexual assault, and that will be said loud enough for everyone nearby to hear.

If someone barges in on me while IĒm in the bathroom after being told no, the only motive that comes to mind is to do me harm and thatís getting reported.

Dirk
After thinking about this thread again today - I came to a similar conclusion - if Disney didn't address my concerns seriously and adequately after this, then I would absolutely threaten to file a police report for attempting sexual assault.
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #68
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickipedia View Post
After thinking about this thread again today - I came to a similar conclusion - if Disney didn't address my concerns seriously and adequately after this, then I would absolutely threaten to file a police report for attempting sexual assault.
A guest services non-native speaker, walking in and saying "trash check" in no way constitutes sexual assault.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_assault

That seems to be more of a peeping tom issue, which is also illegal but not nearly as severe as sexual assault. Sexual assault should be reserved for those truly victimized and not bandied about to incite fervor. Having worked with the child protection services as a volunteer for many years, I encourage you not to use this extreme description with the action described.
https://www.nedbarnett.com/texas-peeping-tom-laws/
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:58 PM   #69
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

`I wonder if housekeeping at any other hotel has ever walked in on a guest naked/shower/sex/etc. or if this has only happened at Disney?

(you guys are out of your minds)
Old 01-14-2020, 11:45 PM   #70
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Itís funny how many in how many languages No means No. It really is inexcusable to continue to attempt entry - to a bathroom where the expectation should be that the individual will not be dressed, at least from the bottom down - after being told No.

If the boundary is ever crossed, I will be down at the front desk nearly instantly informing the CM that if the manager is not in front of me in 2 minutes, Iím filing a report of attempted sexual assault, and that will be said loud enough for everyone nearby to hear.

If someone barges in on me while IĒm in the bathroom after being told no, the only motive that comes to mind is to do me harm and thatís getting reported.

Dirk
As a survivor of sexual assault I even need more than that to claim that. Granted I will try Spanish (Alto, basta, para, muevete, vete ahora or pal carajo if really pissed) first since if not English we seem to get Spanish housekeepers. I would complain too to the front desk. But would not claim assault knowing they are likely just as caught off guard as we are.