home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
DLMDisney
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Best resort at Christmas and New Year?

I am planning my first Christmas/New Year trip to WDW and my top choices for resorts are Boulder Ridge for the first part of the trip and then Boardwalk for the second part. Boulder Ridge because it's beautiful and Christmasy and provides boat transportaton to Magic Kingdom. Boardwalk because it's walking distance to all the New Year's Eve action at Epcot. But I'm willing to consider other options as these may be hard or expensive to book. Would love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks,
Dana
DLMDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

You have good picks. I'd stick with that. Tough to get though. Especially if you want studios.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next DVC trip(s):Nov 28- Dec 3 SSR & Jan 4-9 BWV

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
PHILSFAN77
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLMDisney View Post
I am planning my first Christmas/New Year trip to WDW and my top choices for resorts are Boulder Ridge for the first part of the trip and then Boardwalk for the second part. Boulder Ridge because it's beautiful and Christmasy and provides boat transportaton to Magic Kingdom. Boardwalk because it's walking distance to all the New Year's Eve action at Epcot. But I'm willing to consider other options as these may be hard or expensive to book. Would love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks,
Dana
I think those are pretty good choices...it reads like you're paying cash so i'd definitely check the other resorts in those areas for the best deals/rates (Yacht Club or Beach Club - offer very similar amenities to Boardwalk). Wilderness Lodge/Boulder Ridge/Copper Creek are beautiful at Christmas time...can't go wrong there. We also really enjoy the decorations/lobby/feel of Animal Kingdom Jambo House, but you're locked into bus transportation there.
PHILSFAN77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLMDisney View Post

Thanks,
Dana
I don't think there is a "Best Resort". It depends on tastes of you and your family.

Obviously, VGF is our pick because we simply LOVE its holiday vibe and decor. The Carolers, the Tree in the center, the Gingerbread house. All make a great holiday setting. Does not hurt it is next to MK if you plan on holiday celebrations there.

BWV is a close 2nd for us. Again, love the Gingerbread hotel and the holiday music playing on the Boardwalk. Location is always key with BWV and BCV so that stays constant.

BCV is our 3rd choice. Location like BWV, but the Gingerbread Carousel and a bit more laid back feel than BWV. Not as hectic.

We have been at BLT for a night or 2 during the holidays but it is just too sterile for us. Good location for MK though.

Never stayed at Poly. It seems dark but does have a nice Tree.

AKV - Kidani and Jambo have beautiful Lobby trees. Really enjoy those Christmas stays. But no walking to any park.

SSR is nice. Good access to DS and all its holiday goings on. But again, we like park access.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

All of them!!!

We have been to WDW at Christmas 13 of the last 15 years. We have stayed at the following resorts on those stays:

Saratoga Springs
Animal Kingdom
Bay Lake Tower
Grand Floridian Villas
Swan Resort
Dolphin Resort
Port Orleans - Riverside

There are pluses and minuses to all of the resorts for that particular week. I would start backwards on picking the resort.....where/what do you want to do and see that week? Do you plan on ringing in the New Year at a Park or at one of the Paid Events? Are you Magic Kingdom centric with young kids or Adults only and heading to Epcot?

You mentioned Epcot for the NYE celebrations. I would look at any of the resorts around that Park, including those along the Skyliner....particularly Riveria. This past year, we stayed at Bay Lake Tower, mainly because we had our 6 year old grandson with us. As it turned out, we spent most of our park time at Hollywood Studios.

We use Disney transportation with Uber/Lyft sprinkled in to our trips. I find that the Disney transportation works really well during that week, especially as Disney closes roads and parking lots.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
DBridge
One Bedroom

If paying cash, please add Gran Destino to your list. Absolutely beautiful/grand lobby at Christmas time this year. Different, but rivals WL and GF in grandeur.
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
gopherit
Grand Villa

It's ALL good!

Just spent Xmas 2019 at 3 resorts (AK-Kidani, BWV, and BLT). Of the 3 my fam would probably say they liked BWV best, just because of its proximity to EPCOT and HS, and the general Xmas "vibe" there. (It did not hurt that we were in a GV with its wonderful BW view, either, lol).

I agree with those who say include BCV in your searches along with BWV. We love BCV too but properties at Xmas can be tough to get (depending on what room size/dates you're looking for) and having "home field" (owner) advantage at BW definitely helped us. Options help... if at first you don't succeed, book something and keep trying... you just never know when something might pop up as available.

We visited several resorts during our 8 days there, to dine and see the decor, including Wilderness lodge area properties... those remain my absolute favorite for Xmas... but it's tough to get. I almost had my hands on a cabin there for this past trip but never could get the dates to work out... We've spent Xmas at OKW before too and it's a laid-back feeling, definitely relaxing... but as others note, it (like SSR) is more remote from the "action" (if that's your interest). It was definitely TOO remote for our crew on this trip, which included six young adults, lol. BWV was perfect for them.

Per someone else's comment - this was our first (albeit very short!) stay at BLT. While we like its location, amenities were good, and the pools seemed cool (didn't use them though because it was too cold)... from a "holiday vibe" standpoint, it just didn't cut it for us. Meh. Even its gingerbread house kinda left us cold, lol, compared to what we had seen at the other resorts. We would stay there again... but probably for a summer visit versus Xmas.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I gathered that OP was planning to rent points. If so, and they want studios, they need to be quick because Dec studios are all booking up. Like 11 months out. Even some 1BR are as well. I have been walking at BWV. First was walking a P/G view studio and now walking a standard 1BR (all the way through to marathon weekend). Easiest to book will be the larger resorts (also the not best locations) like SSR, AKV and OKW.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next DVC trip(s):Nov 28- Dec 3 SSR & Jan 4-9 BWV

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
If paying cash, please add Gran Destino to your list. Absolutely beautiful/grand lobby at Christmas time this year. Different, but rivals WL and GF in grandeur.
I'll 2nd this. That Tower wass BEAUTIFUL and its tree was gorgeous.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
I gathered that OP was planning to rent points. If so, and they want studios, they need to be quick because Dec studios are all booking up. Like 11 months out. Even some 1BR are as well. I have been walking at BWV. First was walking a P/G view studio and now walking a standard 1BR (all the way through to marathon weekend). Easiest to book will be the larger resorts (also the not best locations) like SSR, AKV and OKW.
Yeah, I'm planning on BWV next NYE too. Ideally I want a 2br Standard View, I can't even get in to start walking and i have been looking since October.