home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
iflyjetzzz
Studio

Default Maximum recommended group size for FP+

We'll have a group of ~14 this summer and I want to book FP+ for the entire group at 60 days out. I know if I try to do everyone as one big group, it won't work out well (based on my daughter's experience with a large group).

I was thinking about splitting everyone into 3 or 4 groups so that it'll be easier to secure better times for each ride. I know there will be some time differences doing this, but I'd think it's better than the alternative.

Does anyone have experience playing with group size? What do you recommend for optimum group size?

We'll be there during the second week of July and I figure that I'll need to get fast passes right at 60 days due to how busy it will be.
iflyjetzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

I've done 11's and 12's on several trips. If I broke groups up it was because we were splitting up, not because of FastPass obstacles. Maybe do groups of 6 and 8... but I don't see any reason to do 3 or 4 groups. I would suggest splitting up in general on some of your days with a group of that size.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Micah008
Grand Villa

I'm not sure I would want to try to setup totally separate itineraries with that large of a group, unless you know for sure that some are not interested in the bigger rides.

I would be tempted to do either groups of 5 or groups of 7, and try to get overlapping times. We have even ended up this way for hard to get things with a smaller group, as long as they overlap you can all go together.

For example
5 of you at 9:05
5 of you at 9:15
4 of you at 9:20
Then you can all go together between 9:20-10:05 (which is really 9:15-10:20 with the built in grace periods)

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV/CCV; Oct '20 DRR;
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
iflyjetzzz
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
I'm not sure I would want to try to setup totally separate itineraries with that large of a group, unless you know for sure that some are not interested in the bigger rides.

I would be tempted to do either groups of 5 or groups of 7, and try to get overlapping times. We have even ended up this way for hard to get things with a smaller group, as long as they overlap you can all go together.

For example
Then you can all go together between 9:20-10:05 (which is really 9:15-10:20 with the built in grace periods)
Yes, that's what I said. The question I have is the optimal group size so I can book the rides early. My daughter's experience was large groups were no Bueno.

fuzzylogic indicated that he's done very large groups, but I'm not looking to book FPs for late in the day. I'll try what he suggests but I'm not optimistic about getting 14 Avatar/Rockin Roller Coaster/Space Mountain/Test Track FPs for 0900-0930 start time for that large a group. I want the first 3 used early and then everyone in the group can go their own way and book their own fourth and beyond FPs.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:39 PM   #5
Micah008
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
...The question I have is the optimal group size ...
Quote:
...do either groups of 5 or groups of 7...
In the end, the smaller the group the better, but I would stick to no more than 5 or 7 (I picked those numbers since they would well for you with your overall group size).

I have in the past tried 4, if no luck tried 2, then even tried 1. So its hard to answer exactly, you may just have to experiment a little.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV/CCV; Oct '20 DRR;
Old 01-12-2020, 11:40 PM   #6
Doug Disney
One Bedroom

Quote:
We'll have a group of ~14 this summer and I want to book FP+ for the entire group at 60 days out. I know if I try to do everyone as one big group, it won't work out well (based on my daughter's experience with a large group).

I was thinking about splitting everyone into 3 or 4 groups so that it'll be easier to secure better times for each ride. I know there will be some time differences doing this, but I'd think it's better than the alternative.

Does anyone have experience playing with group size? What do you recommend for optimum group size?

We'll be there during the second week of July and I figure that I'll need to get fast passes right at 60 days due to how busy it will be.
I did FP+ for 19 for MLK week coming up for 8 days.

No major issues 5-6+ days out for anything even in that large a group. Day 3 FoP we couldn't get until the evening, and Day 6 Slinky Dog was 2pm earliest. No issues with anything else.
Doug Disney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 AM   #7
iflyjetzzz
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Disney View Post
I did FP+ for 19 for MLK week coming up for 8 days.

No major issues 5-6+ days out for anything even in that large a group. Day 3 FoP we couldn't get until the evening, and Day 6 Slinky Dog was 2pm earliest. No issues with anything else.
That's great to know. I can try one large group, walking reservations back from latest date to earliest. (15 July first, 10 July last)

Once I don't get the times I want, I'll split the group in 2 and continue to book from latest date to earliest.
Once split in two stops working, I'll go with splitting in 3.

My plan is to book parks that have magic hours and go there during morning magic hours. I'll try to get first FP near 9AM and the other two as early as possible.

Once we've accomplished the first 3 FPs, the group can (and likely will) split up. Everyone can then book whatever FP they want at whatever park they want.
My plan (and I'll suggest to the entire group) is to go to non-Magic Hours parks for the day, with a break back at the timeshare around midday.

Magic Hours 10-13 July are 8-9AM so that should work out fine for those days.
The last two days have Magic Hours at the end of the day, but I'll still book FPs the same basic way.

I've noticed over the years that any park that has Magic Hours is more busy than the other parks. I attribute this to people who are staying on property but don't have park hoppers... they're locked into the park with Magic Hours.

There are so many details that go into planning this large a group that I want to get this nailed down way early so it's not something I have to think about when we hit 60 days out.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
Micah008
Grand Villa

Quote:
That's great to know. I can try one large group, walking reservations back from latest date to earliest. (15 July first, 10 July last)

Once I don't get the times I want, I'll split the group in 2 and continue to book from latest date to earliest.
Once split in two stops working, I'll go with splitting in 3.

MousePerks

Old 01-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:

For example

We had 21 people with us last Christmas and this is what we did.....broke the us into 4 groups. Then we all grabbed fastpasses around the same time period, adjusting as needed so we could all ride together. Also, 10 of the group utilized a VIP tour on one of the days so that all the younger kids could get on the rides together.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:50 AM   #10
IRISHGRANDAD
Studio

Location: WHERE IRISH EYES ARE SMILING BWV,OKW,SSR,BELFAST IRELAND/UK

Quote:

Just went in July with my extended family of eleven .
Always allow every family to choose their own holiday and meet up for things we want to do together by separate groups as you say one after the other reservation