home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #161
choosymom
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loro View Post
DVC is moving into moderate because it it what a lot of people want. DVC is meant to save people money on Disney accommodations. How much money lately is up for debate of course, but that's a separate issue.

Moderate DVC allows DVC to become attainable to the audience that is wanting to stay at a less desirable resort if it saves them money compared to their normal moderate stays. It makes sense from a business perspective.
No I'm in agreement. My point was for a long time there have been many saying, that DVC would never add moderates, it's against what they are. I always doubted that.
I'm not saying I'm right, obviously we will have to wait.

choosymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #162
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I just don't see a large population of people willing to pay 176 dollars a point, even if the point requirements are considerably less. People who already own DVC are used to better accommodations and more amenities. People who typically stay at moderates can get a better cash price or can catch "free" dining.
Say it's a 50 point buy-in for about a week's stay at this moderate DVC.

I don't think they'll charge a full $175pp for it, but say it is:

That's $8,750, over 50 years = $175/year + $300/year in Maintenance fees.

You're saying they're going to find a better rate than $475-500 a week? Even if it costs $6-700 that's good value.

Obviously this is relying on a studio for comparison to a hotel room, as well as many hypotheticals.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #163
choosymom
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Just curious why you don't think others will do that? Not arguing just curious honestly why you think most don't think like you. A lot of people think the opposite really (that most must think like them).
Let's just say I've never really been somebody that does what everyone else does.
What I see for the most part in our society is people want what they want and they want it right now. People are not usually willing to save money and wait for the things that they want. They're going to finance it and they don't really pay attention to that bottom line of how much it's going to cost them later on. WE for the most part live in a society of instant gratification. And really without a worry of what things are going to be later. By no means am I saying everyone is like this. I just from observing people around me watching what people do these are just my opinions.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #164
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosymom View Post
No I'm in agreement. My point was for a long time there have been many saying, that DVC would never add moderates, it's against what they are. I always doubted that.
I'm not saying I'm right, obviously we will have to wait.
Gotcha. I agree that it will be very interesting to see where this goes.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #165
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosymom View Post
Let's just say I've never really been somebody that does what everyone else does.
What I see for the most part in our society is people want what they want and they want it right now. People are not usually willing to save money and wait for the things that they want. They're going to finance it and they don't really pay attention to that bottom line of how much it's going to cost them later on. WE for the most part live in a society of instant gratification. And really without a worry of what things are going to be later. By no means am I saying everyone is like this. I just from observing people around me watching what people do these are just my opinions.
Thanks for answering. It's the I almost went into counseling and psych and how people think interests me. No judgment here. I think your perceptions about how we as a society are about instant gratification and don't care as much about the long term effects it can bring. I don't think all are this way either, but I do see more and more "keeping up with the Joneses" going on too.

Back to DVC talk
Old 04-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #166
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I'm not sure. I can only guess really at that part based on what I've heard. Disney doesn't want to rock the boat here, and there is huge potential to do so if they screw this up (hence why it wasn't done before). They could potentially limit the window a little further with CBR owners, but the issue could arise then where other DVC owners can come in and eliminate a lot of availability at CBR once the 7 month window opens.

That to me is the tough part, ensuring the availability for the new CBR owners. It is also why I think the window in/out of CBR may be different to accommodate that.
I completely agree with you on the booking window issues. I see this as potentially a much bigger issue than CBR owners booking at the other resorts.

I also wonder if they are all studios or if they will have 1 bedrooms more like AoA - maybe missing aspects like washer/dryers and such. Obviously I have no ear to the rumor mill just talking out loud
Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #167
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I completely agree with you on the booking window issues. I see this as potentially a much bigger issue than CBR owners booking at the other resorts.

I also wonder if they are all studios or if they will have 1 bedrooms more like AoA - maybe missing aspects like washer/dryers and such. Obviously I have no ear to the rumor mill just talking out loud
It sounds like they will do different room types. Can't speak to the laundry or other amenities right now.

We are very interested in this (my family). We don't spend much time in our rooms or at the resorts, so we might be very interested in this depending on the rooms, parking, and transportation.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #168
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Say it's a 50 point buy-in for about a week's stay at this moderate DVC.

I don't think they'll charge a full $175pp for it, but say it is:

That's $8,750, over 50 years = $175/year + $300/year in Maintenance fees.

You're saying they're going to find a better rate than $475-500 a week? Even if it costs $6-700 that's good value.

Obviously this is relying on a studio for comparison to a hotel room, as well as many hypotheticals.
I guess what I am saying is that you will lose some with the initial sticker shock of 176pp. And I'm old, so I see things a little differently. At 176pp, unless you are going to scale it at 1point per night, it might still be perceived as a better deal to pay cash with a discounted rate. Your argument absolutely makes sense over the life of a contract, but can you hang on to them long enough to make the sales pitch? I looked at a CRB night last summer, and with my AP discount, would only have been around 170per night. But it will he interesting to see what happens. Helenabear has a very good point about keeping up with the Jones
Old 04-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #169
choosymom
Two Bedroom

Quote:
It sounds like they will do different room types. Can't speak to the laundry or other amenities right now.

We are very interested in this (my family). We don't spend much time in our rooms or at the resorts, so we might be very interested in this depending on the rooms, parking, and transportation.
As a large family 6, it interests me also. We do spend a good amount of time at the resort, but the points per night of a 2 bedroom is crazy insane.

However, my husband God bless him, loves the Deluxe. There are less people and it's a very quiet place to stay and relax and get respite from the crowds. We have never had a noise issue, like some. I don't know that I could get him to stay there, lol.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #170
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I guess what I am saying is that you will lose some with the initial sticker shock of 176pp. And I'm old, so I see things a little differently. At 176pp, unless you are going to scale it at 1point per night, it might still be perceived as a better deal to pay cash with a discounted rate. Your argument absolutely makes sense over the life of a contract, but can you hang on to them long enough to make the sales pitch? I looked at a CRB night last summer, and with my AP discount, would only have been around 170per night. But it will he interesting to see what happens. Helenabear has a very good point about keeping up with the Jones
Certainly good points. Compared to the sticker shock for a contract in the amount of points needed for a week at Poly or CCV, it may seem like quite a bargain to many that may have never given DVC serious thought previously.